Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:40:12 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:40:41 PM EST
That's a damn tough one.

I'd have to give the nod to Nimitz.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:41:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 2:43:08 PM EST by captainpooby]
I was going to go with Oppenheimer.

ETA: Lemay could have done nothing without the other two guys.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:44:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 2:46:37 PM EST by Beach]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captainpooby:

View Quote

Oppenheimer FTW...and the crew of the Enola Gay
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:45:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 2:47:01 PM EST by Blackhawk101]
Nimitz with Spruance a close second.

Until the marines and sailors were able to neutralize Japanese carrier based airpower AND capture islands forward enough to allow Army Air Force bombers to make round trips to Tokyo and back LeMay was a nobody in my book. By the time these two conditions were met the writing was on the wall for the Japanese - AAF was just extra icing on the cake hastening the surrender.

MacArthur was a show boater in my book. Other then wading ashore at the Phillipines and retaking that island he was a non-entity. I personally call him the De Gaulle of the Pacific.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:45:26 PM EST

Nimitz.

The other two were brought in for clean-up.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:45:30 PM EST
View Quote

Nimitz and Spruance got the US close enough to use the bomb.
Nimitz and the US Navy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:46:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:48:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Beach:

Oppenheimer FTW...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beach:

Oppenheimer FTW...

The atomic bomb saved more Japanese lives than anything else.

The war against Japan would have been won by the Allies with or without it. Winning without it would have involved huge Allied casualties, but cataclysmic repercussions for the Japanese.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:50:23 PM EST
The atomic bomb gets my vote
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:53:35 PM EST
Nimitz gets top honors.

Without him there is no island hoping, no control of the seas through naval and naval air power...MacArthur as a result never returns.

Same goes for Lemay. His bombing raids were indeed devastating and a war changer, but again they do not happen without Nimitz first gaining islands for airbases close enough to hit Japan.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:55:57 PM EST
Oppenheimer.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:56:16 PM EST
MacArthur was part of the problem at the very beginning of the war, he had his planes parked wing to wing in the Philippine Islands just like Kimmel and Short did in Hawaii. LeMay was only in the Pacific for the cleanup, if he hadn't been there the results would have been the same. Nimitz for the win, literally.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:01:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:02:37 PM EST
I'm going to go with LeMay. Where as I think the others played a very crucial role and enabled him for what he had to do, it was LeMay that finally broke the back of the empire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:03:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By primuspilum:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

View Quote
'Twas a team effort, so none deserves the lion's share, but IMO, the weakest member of that team was MacArthur.

The real answer to who deserves the lion's share is, IMO, George Marshall.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:05:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:06:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:10:56 PM EST by Balista]
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

View Quote

I would was a team action ultimately but it was the bombing of mainland Japan that broke the back of the Japanese.

The Island campaign killed Japanese troops and advanced the airbases to within range of Japan. When the cities began to disappear, that's when it came to a halt.

When you make the canal and river water boil, the enemy will be at his knees.

Operation Meetinghouse

During the March 9-10 raid, some 1,700 tons of incendiary bombs were scattered across Tokyo’s densely populated Shitamachi (downtown) district in an effort to disrupt war production and destroy Japanese morale. The firestorm boiled water in Tokyo’s rivers and canals, melted glass and towering columns of heat brought down nearly a dozen B-29s.
View Quote

http://nation.time.com/2012/03/27/a-forgotten-horror-the-great-tokyo-air-raid/
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:08:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:09:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blackhawk101:
MacArthur was a show boater in my book. Other then wading ashore at the Phillipines and retaking that island he was a non-entity. I personally call him the De Gaulle of the Pacific.
View Quote

Adm Kimmel was vilified for his actions at Pearl, yet MacArthur knew we were at war yet did very little before the Japanese attacked the Philippines - destroying much of the aircraft on the ground. And he was kept in command afterwards. I don't really understand it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:10:48 PM EST
Nimitz and our submarines.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:12:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:12:28 PM EST by TAP]
Without Nimitz, Oppenheimer was just a nerdy guy with a cool toy sitting at home.
View Quote

I'm a Nimitz voter myself, but we had sibs infiltrating into Japanese harbors at the end of the war. I think we could have found a use for the bombs even if we didn't have the means to deliver them via bomber. But a previous poster was right- those bombs served only to make the Japanese accept the inevitable rather than continue to hopelessly fight against it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:12:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:16:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:17:18 PM EST
Out of those, Nimitz. But I am former Navy and a bit biased. Without the Nimitz and the Navy, LeMay would never have gotten close enough to Japan to execute the air campaign that was the final nail in Japan's coffin. Without the Navy, Dugout Doug would have spent the war hanging out in New Guinea because he never would have been able to go anywhere else. But above them, Marshall played a HUGE role in our success.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:17:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By raf:
VADM Charles Lockwood, COMSUBPAC. The US submarines are what really broke the back of Imperial Japan.
View Quote

This.

We just got back from the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, TX. I highly recommend it for any history buff.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:17:46 PM EST
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

View Quote

OP poll fail no gen Groves He's the one that did it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:19:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:19:26 PM EST by robeans]
Lemay with the help of Robert McNamara and the Office of Statistical Controls.

Fire Bombing FTW>
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:19:21 PM EST
Doolittle.

Tip of the sword and all that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:20:54 PM EST
Nimitz
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:22:34 PM EST
Of those three, Nimitz, then MacArthur, and drop Lemay from the list completely. The war was effectively won before Lemay even arrived on the scene; it was just a question of how much longer it was going to last. MacArthur gets credit for accomplishing more with less than any other theater commander.

The proper list is Nimitz, a tie for second between Spruance and Lockwood, then MacArthur.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:29:12 PM EST
Nimitz. The war was decided at Midway.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:31:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Nimitz. The war was decided at Midway.
View Quote

Midway took away their major offensive power, the submarine campaign severed their SLOCs and raw materials imports.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:31:47 PM EST

View Quote

Curtis LeMay had flattened most of Japan without the aid of Oppenheimer. The reason why Nagasaki and Hiroshima were selected as atomic bomb targets is they were among the short list of cities that hadn't already been devastated by conventional bomber raids.

The firebombing of Tokyo killed more people in one attack than the attack on Hiroshima and Nagasaki did.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:31:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:

Adm Kimmel was vilified for his actions at Pearl, yet MacArthur knew we were at war yet did very little before the Japanese attacked the Philippines - destroying much of the aircraft on the ground. And he was kept in command afterwards. I don't really understand it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
Originally Posted By Blackhawk101:

Mac kept his job mostly due to his record, Medal of Honor in WWI, Commandant of West Point, former Chief of Staff of the Army. He was well known to the public and FDR had enough bad news after Pearl Harbor without adding another dismissal for command failure to everything else.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:39:22 PM EST
I have to be biased and say the Marines and soldiers who landed and took the islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa. Without these islands, there would be no air operations in the Pacific.
My dad was with the 2nd Marine Division and fought on these islands. By helping capture Tinian, he basically saved his life because that is where Enola Gay took off to deliver the A-bomb. If that had not happened he would have been with the forces invading Japan, which many say would have led to countless American deaths.

I would not be here had he not survived.
It has been 6 years now since we lost him and I miss him everyday.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:42:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:43:19 PM EST by DeltaElite777]
To further my argument for Nimitz:

Our navy did a better job at destroying the ability of its enemy counterpart to fight than our army did. The IJA was still a very, very dangerous force at the end of the war, while the Japanese Navy (including the shipping fleet) was pretty much a husk.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:43:26 PM EST
Out of those three? Unquestionably Nimitz.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:44:49 PM EST
No Ziggy Sprague?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:46:18 PM EST
Nimitz. He was the indispensible man of the Pacific War. As an engineering officer prior to WW I , he helped introduce diesel engines to the USN. As CHENG on the US Navy`s diesel powered oiler, he helped point out where ship systems would have to be redesigned to allow underway refueling, and helped pioneer the procedure . As a newly promoted Commander, he founded the submarine base at Pearl Harbor. As Chief of Staff to Commander US Fleet (CINCUS), in the mid 1930`s he introduced the circular battle formation to the USN that would become standard during the war. The Potter brothers wrote a very thorough biography of not just his life, but professional accomplishments. A very worthwhile read.

Forgotten fact: Nimitz was FDR`s choice to replace ADM Oscar Richardson as CinCPAC in 1940 when Richardson protested the moving the fleet to Pearl Harbor. Nimitz had a premonition about the on coming war and declined. Husband Kimmel got the job instead. Also in 1939 , as a newly promoted Admiral , Nimitz was the senior Flag Officer on the US west coast while most of the fleet was in the Caribbean during the last prewar fleet problem. His flag ship? USS Arizona.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:38:16 PM EST
Nimitz
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:45:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By SD307:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SD307:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

Meh.

Soviet entry was more a determining factor in timing of surrender than the a bomb, IMO.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:07:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 5:10:23 PM EST by HenryReardon]
Originally Posted By forker:
'Twas a team effort, so none deserves the lion's share, but IMO, the weakest member of that team was MacArthur.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By forker:
1. Nimitz.

2. MacArthur

3. LeMay

If we're going to consider the Chiefs, it was Admiral King, not General Marshall, who kept the focus, and the resources, on the Pacific Theater, especially early in the war when the priority of the U. S. and British governments was Europe. The campaign against the Japanese was a Navy war. The Army and the Army Air Force were secondary players.

As for the atomic bomb and those behind it, the U. S. would have defeated Japan without the bomb. The costs would have been higher, but between Operation Olympic and the naval blockade, we would have starved and killed them into submission.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:10:52 PM EST
You misspelled Einstein.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:33:49 PM EST
Have to go with Nimitz, the other two would not have gotten around without him.............Would have to give an honorable mention to Boeing, Richmond Shipyards and Donald Roebling
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:56:16 PM EST
Codebreakers.

Is why Midway.

Re: Oppenheimer.

After he gets all poetical and angsty about the Bomb going off, someone says to him

"Now we are all sons of bitches"

Anyone? Bueller?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:57:20 PM EST
Nambu helped out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:02:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:08:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By Forest:

If we're passing out honorable mentions then I'm nominating Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab for the invention of the VT Fuse. The fuse used in AA guns which greatly increased their ability to bring down enemy planes (esp Kamikazes) thus keeping more of the Navy afloat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Forest:
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
Have to go with Nimitz, the other two would not have gotten around without him.............Would have to give an honorable mention to Boeing, Richmond Shipyards and Donald Roebling

If we're passing out honorable mentions then I'm nominating Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab for the invention of the VT Fuse. The fuse used in AA guns which greatly increased their ability to bring down enemy planes (esp Kamikazes) thus keeping more of the Navy afloat.

agreed on Hopkins........
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:10:38 PM EST

great PR when the nation most needed a pick me up..............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top