Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
...not one is a complete rifle from one manufacturer. They are all "EE specials".

I have two Oly's, one with a Colt SP1 upper and one with a Tromix 5.56 custom carbine upper. I have a Rock River lower with a telestock and some kind of unknown upper, and I have an Ameetec .458 SOCOM lower, ACE skeleton stock and Leitner-Wise .499 upper (my Carbinenstein).

They all shoot fine and are plenty accurate (except the SP1 upper, which I haven't fired yet).

Anyone else out there got any AR's cobbled together from parts of other rifles?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean factories build rifles?

Also this is gonna sink so fast in GD.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How is that .458 SOCOM?  

I wanna get one, but don't know anyone who has one to give me a report on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm - I have 8 complete, ready to fire, ARs.

4 were purchased as complete rifles, in order:

-  Colt HBar.  My very first AR;
-  Bushy A2 carbine;
-  Eagle Arms pre-ban (found on EE);
-  Bushy A2 pre-ban (found on EE).

The rest are home builts on Stag/CMT lowers and typically, Bushy LPK.  3 are 5.56 and one 9mm with lots of RRA parts.

I have an inordinate number of AR parts laying around in my office.  Except for lowers, I could put together 2 more rifles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How is that .458 SOCOM?  

I wanna get one, but don't know anyone who has one to give me a report on it.

The .458 SOCOM is a nice round, but I don't have a .458 SOCOM upper anymore. I have a .499 Leitner-Wise upper, which for all intents and purposes is about the same just with cheaper ammo.

If you want a .458 SOCOM then go to 458socom.com. They have Marty's builds, and he uses the good shit. The .458SOCOM that I had was from the group purchase that Marty did for us, and that bad boy consistently cloverleafed for me. I had a picture of my first target at one time. It was 4 rounds at 50  yards (NOT a long range gun). All of them were in the dead center of the bullseye and 3 of them were practically in the same hole.

The recoil isn't bad, but an A2 stock will tear up your shoulder, and a telestock will break. ACE skeleton stocks are the only way to go with big bore ARs.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I can get pretty close with one, it is almost all Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 AR's, both home builds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
2 factory Clots, at least that many frankenrifles, and a few unbuilt lowers.  Yep, more lowers than uppers.  I see another "AWB" coming.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2 factory Clots....................

Do they have a web site?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Colt HBAR 20" that became a Bushy M4 profile upper on the Colt MT lower.
I have been wanting to build a free floating 16" or 20" bench rifle....just waiting to have some cash I dont need. I see no point in buying a complete rifle when I can build one for significantly less.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I have a few like that.
PWA and Lauer LMT lowers with various uppers in various configs.
A few pure Colts but the rest are cobbled together with parts.

During the ban I changed configurations a couple of times and bought other lowers as deals popped up. After the ban I had stocks, uppers, parts. All I had to do was buy a bunch of lowers and Voila!

Anyhow, most are all Colt except for the lowers. Only exceptions are one with a Bushy M4 upper and a couple of spare lowers.

I have just recently fired several of them. 2 in A1 config and 1 in A2 config. The A2 is a new Colt military surplus upper I got from one of the vendors. Thing is a damn tack driver. Wow. I will be hanging onto that one, FrankenAR or not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have a web site?

Yes
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have some BushRivers and some Rockmasters.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have a web site?

Did that just to give the bashers some fodder.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have a web site?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking to get myself a Bushmaster with a six-position stock and 16" barrel. The only one I've seen for sale in a store is $999 before tax. AIM Surplus advertises them for $850 for a A4 or $809 for an A3, but I can't see any real difference in the photos or descriptions.

What sort of prices would I be looking at if I bought the upper and lower seperately? Say, at the Saxet show some time this summer?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my first AR, a Bushy XM15 E2S M4 carbine.

I know I could have done a Frankengun for less $$$ but I wanted a "perfect" factory assembled rifle to learn from.  Use it, take it apart, put it back together, find out what I like and don't like, what needs to be changed.

Now that I've had the beast a couple of days the manuals, diagrams and websites suddenly make FAR more sense to me then before.

I now have a FAR better understanding what "BRD" is all about.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
You mean someone sells complete rifles?

I have a DPMaster varmiter and a complete RRA lower I am building from parts, waiting for me to get a mid-length upper.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#18]
One factory Armalite HB flat top rifle. One CAR-15 assembled on a Oly lower and a Model One upper. Runs like a champ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top