Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2001 9:23:28 PM EDT
Does anyone else have a problem with wanting one thing after another? I get on this kick and do a lot of research on the web and then go and look for the best price and it does not stop till I acquire the item. First it was flashlights and I decided on a surefire, then TVs', then watches and now I am on a PDA kick. It does not seam to end till I find out who makes the best and which one works best for me!!  I am starting to think I have some obsessive compulsive wanting must have disorder..

Anyone else experience this kind of behavior?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you're a freak.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I do the very same thing, try subscribing to Consumer Reports magazine it will help a hell of a lot in making the correct purchases, keep up the research and only buy quality!!!!!!!!(what is PDA, and do I need any?)
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I had that problem---until I had to pay the bills...
Now, I'm having a relapse.
It's a vicious circle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a real deal problem.  My wife (soon to be ex-wife) gambled away a LOT of our money this past year.  She couldn't stop.  
Buy the Palm Vx
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Operatorerror--  thanks

Confederate-- I was looking into that the other day and I already have the little book from CR.
PDA- personal digital assistant (I think) and yes you do need one.

Bus-- I have to many bills like everyone else. I don't think this has gotten out of control to much. yet

Von-- It is nowhere close to anything like gambling addiction. I did look at the Vx and like its size, but thinking about the new M505 with the color display.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this too well.  I had some time off work recently and spent about a month making purchases of various items (whether I needed them or not, and in some cases whether I wanted them or not) and spent my days and nights monitering ebay's auctions for whatever caught my eye.  I was hooked and I needed my fix daily.  Now I'm working again.......ALOT!

doggie

p.s. Anyone in the market for a coke bottle from Mexico?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been allowing my repressed purchasing desires to come out a lot lately.  Just got stuck with another deal I couldn't refuse for some NFA items from a local Class 3 dealer.  Now I gotta do all of the damn paperwork for them, pay the taxes and wait 4 months for the Form 4's to come back from the ATF.

If my dealer didn't "have" to buy a 53' yacht I wouldn't "have" to buy his "excess inventory" of guns he never shoots.  

Sometimes it is nice to be around people with this disease as they don't think clearly when they are on the hunt for their latest treasure.
You can pick up some pretty good deals on hardly used stuff.

Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Stinger,

Just yanking your chain. I've got the same obsession.

I research every purchase until it's almost anticlimactic when I make the purchase. I like the hunt, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, same here. I got one of my "biggies" out of the way when I got the M1A. Now, I am moving on to scopes!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the same problem. Digital cameras, digital camera printers, memory and lenses for the cameras, surefire flashlights, holsters, ammo, gun parts, gun cases, car performance parts, home and car audio....you name it.

It is way to easy to find out exactly what you want and where to get it cheapest on the net. I love it but I hate it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody want to buy a watch?
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Same problem, but these days I seem to focus on firearms.

It started about the same time people started telling me it was illegal to buy certain things....

Thank goodness for Democrats....  without them I would never have purchased all the firearms I have.  Really.

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe it is the hunt, maybe its telling me I need to get outside and do some real hunting!!

Then the wife would WANT me to go hunting to cure the disese!!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]
God help us...

Gear! Gear! Gear!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Its guns for me. Ill buy anything gun related I canget a good deal on. Then, instead of selling for a profit, I either trade or keep it. Its ridiculous. AR's were the worst to get into. One isnt enough. Of course, being in the Army has made me want to uy all kinds of para-military guns. It will never stop.[pissed]
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Man I feel a LOT better!  I thought I was the only one that had this problem. WTF do I need a Beta C-Mag for anyway?  I dunno, but I know I gotta have one. And after that, I'll need a new digicam since my old one isn't good enough any more. Then of course, I need new speakers for one of the home theater/music systems. And sometime I gotta get my Charger painted. And buy wheels, tires, interior parts, suspension parts, and a car stereo for it. Oh yeah, need a car trailer too.....and a truck to tow with.....

And still I'm trying to save for a RDIAS on top of it all....
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have to say, it was very funny reading this thread, because this is me exactly. One thing i can say though, I have never been so obsessed with finding the "perfect" purchase as i have buying my first AR-15.  I am on this damn board every day at work constantly, trying to get as much info as i can.  BTW.... whats the 'best' AR-15 setup out there???  hehe, i couldnt resist asking...
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#18]
buy quality-you only cry once....
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#19]
<
Anyone else experience this kind of behavior?>>

Stinger,

I have suffered with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for years.  It is debilatating and can cause you much pain and anger... depending upon the degree you have it.  I am catagorized as "Moderate" OCD.  The condition takes over control of your mind with repetitive, useless ruminations.  It is referred to as the "doubting disease" because your brain is so overloaded with electro-chemical signals (messages) that you can't make decisions or you simply don't realize the difference between what is real and what is just figmentary in your mind.

OCD is not considered a "mental defect" that would preclude you from owning a firearm.  It is treatable... but only a psychiatrist can write you a prescription for the drugs you will REQUIRE (depending upon how bad you have it) to treat it.  There are a lot of different drugs.  Perhaps you have heard of SSRI drugs (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors) such as Paxil, Prozac, etc.  I myself take Serzone (800 mg per day) and I can, for the most part, function just fine.  Without it... well, I don't want to talk about that.

Seek professional help if you feel that your compulsions (performing an act such as repeatedly washing your hands) or obsessions (can't get release from repetitive ideas in your conscious mind) are out of control and hindering your quality of life.

Hope this helps you,

OCD-Brain
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, and I think the internet only worsens the problem.

But every now and then I have the uncontrollable urge to go off and buy something just for the hell of it and do my research after the fact.  Whats up with that?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I figured i'd make my first post about something i've got alot of experience with. I loaded software and tested the palm vx alot this summer and i found that they are quality pda's. I only found 1 out of 150 to have a minor problem which was fixed by simply resetting it. I wouldn't bother with the color palms unless your set on it. The vx's i used  had epocrates which is an extensive medical resource loaded on them and they still had alot of memory space left for other apps.
-Simple Simon
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Well i took the wife to buy a pda and got the visor platinum. Now I can look it over and see if I like it before I get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top