Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Who said anything about buying new?

We've got warehouses full of the stuff.  Might as well put it to good use.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well.. we cannot let them BUY from an American manufacturer.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
More along the lines of giving them stuff they already know how to use properly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Buying American would involve Congress.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More along the lines of giving them stuff they already know how to use properly.
View Quote
This.  We don't want to give them anything that has a training burden before fielding.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Do we still have any M60A3 tanks in storage somewhere? Send em a few hundred of those, along with a bunch of M113s, 105mm howitzers, mortars, TOW missiles, M2 .50 cals, Mk 19 grenade launchers. These people need some real firepower, not a bunch of AK-47s. I'm sure they already have plenty of those.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Russian might be a generic term as well. "Russian AK47"s, which have been out of production since 1960.....

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The author probably assumes all AKs are Russian made. They'll probably be whatever the CIA can obtain in the region.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the Kurds are already familiar with Russian weapons and already have some ammo/mags/parts and compatible optics for them. So introducing a relatively uncommon weapon doesn't make sense. And the CIA probably has warehouses full of Combloc stuff. So I doubt any money is being sent to the Russians since the stuff was probably paid for/stolen long ago. Besides, its probably all Chinese copied anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This.  We don't want to give them anything that has a training burden before fielding.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M16's MOA is pretty well known nowadays. I think this has more to do with:
- Won't be traced back to the US if seen or captured.
- Weapons that won't be identified as American like many of the M16s & M4s we see ISIS using now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do we still have any M60A3 tanks in storage somewhere? Send em a few hundred of those, along with a bunch of M113s, 105mm howitzers, mortars, TOW missiles, M2 .50 cals, Mk 19 grenade launchers. These people need some real firepower, not a bunch of AK-47s. I'm sure they already have plenty of those.
View Quote

Lack of ammunition was why they retreated from a couple places...providing small arms and munitions, in quantity, makes sense at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
That's mighty wh....errr....nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
This is not Chess, its Checkers
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Now the Pentagon is taking over the supply process from the CIA.  

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-us-iraq-weapons-20140811-story.html#page=1

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought we turned all the M-60's into reefs?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think they have a few T72's, probably some 62's and 55's as well. How much more training would they need to run a M60? And has ISIS captured tanks as well? I know they have mraps and 155mm arty now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought he won the Peace prize . AM I confused here ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that certainly sounds like something we'd do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Good for Obama, for once.

I hope he provides a shit ton of ammo, too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
INB4 boat loads of derp....
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
All the American guns were sent to Mexico by the ATF.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the M901A1 ITVs my unit had (E Co. 2/7th Inf.) had that went over the side after our division (24th ID) was deactivated in 1996.

Here's another view of another one of the vehicles going into the drink; you can see the "V" sign, which was the official insignia of the 24th ID; next to it is another M113, ready to be tossed over the side.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Dear Kurds:  Before firing weapon please inspect for proper assembly and safety, AND make sure your ammunition FITS in your weapon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Rosoboronexport must grease all sorts of palms over here. We have to be one of their bigger customers.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Load them up with a fuckton of x39 and some RPG 7 reloads. That should take care of the bobo shit we gave Iraq and ISIS has now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Russian might be a generic term as well. "Russian AK47"s, which have been out of production since 1960.....http://goo.gl/Lmj2x4
View Quote

We've got warehouses full of the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't mix up 47 and 74, who knows what could happen
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]
What they need are heavy and indirect fire weapons.

Howitzers, Mortars, RPGs and of course AMMO.

Also a few HINDS would probably aid the Kurds greatly in  a fire fight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Bush did the same with Chinese weapons and ammo.

American citizens can't buy NORINCO guns or ammo but American dollars were buying them by the millions for Iraq and Afghanistan.

Same shit, different despot.    Don't forget to vote.   Doesn't matter who for, though, since they'll do the same shit.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bush did the same with Chinese weapons and ammo.

American citizens can't buy NORINCO guns or ammo but American dollars were buying them by the millions for Iraq and Afghanistan.

Same shit, different despot.    Don't forget to vote.   Doesn't matter who for, though, since they'll do the same shit.  
View Quote

I thought that most of the AKs we bought for Iraq came from Bulgaria?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#32]
How much weapons and ammo do we actually have in storage?  I'd like to see a list of the inventory.  I didn't realize that the US stored so much old shit like the Soviet Bloc countries did.

I've read that the amount of Commie gear and weapons in warehouses and bunkers in Russia, Ukraine and the other countries is almost unfathomable.  Just buildings and bunkers full of the stuff, ammo, weapons, mags, etc. as far as the eye can see.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks better on the news when those same guns end up aimed at Americans 10 years from now.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lack of ammunition was why they retreated from a couple places...providing small arms and munitions, in quantity, makes sense at the moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of ammunition was only part of the reason they retreated, the other reason was that they were fighting on the plains against an enemy with 14.5mm anti-aircraft weapons, while they had no armor. The Kurds need small arms as well as heavy weapons, and armor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about Kurds (I assume that's who we're talking about here), but in the two Arab armies I've helped train (Iraq and Saudi Arabia), they could barely figure out which end the bullet came out of.

Sight adjustment?  WTF are sights?  

As far as something like an, M60, I dunno. Probably not worth the massive effort of shipping the tanks and spare parts.  Keep in mind we sold or gave them plenty of stuff before the collapse.  Just one more item to slowly rust away in the desert.

And TOWs?  Might as well ask them to develop cold fusion.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#36]
So that's where the 7n6 is going!  MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

They'll manage to fuck this up somehow.
View Quote
Yeah, probably give them some odd caliber AKs or something.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Makes sense to me
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The author probably assumes all AKs are Russian made. They'll probably be whatever the CIA can obtain in the region.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Chinese...Egyptian...whatever it takes. They need RPGs too. Some RPKs would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hope and change. Mostly change.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Arm them with whatever can drop an ISIS fucker.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nonsense. obama is doing this because he is a commie foreigner muslim and he loves russia.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We sent them some Russian stuff too.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who said anything about buying new?

We've got warehouses full of the stuff.  Might as well put it to good use.
View Quote

Sell it stateside to gun owners/collectors then, reduce some of that national debt.  I'd be in on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top