Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 7:33:06 PM EDT

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) — After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Obama noted that he was pleased leaders in the evangelical community like T.D. Jakes and Rick Warren were beginning to discuss social justice issues like AIDS and poverty in ways evangelicals were not doing before.

"I think that's a healthy thing, that we're not putting people in boxes, that everybody is out there trying to figure out how do we live right and how do we create a stronger America," Obama said.

During the nearly two hour service that featured a rock band and hip-hop dancers, Obama shared the floor with the church's pastor, Ron Carpenter. The senator from Illinois asked the multiracial crowd of nearly 4,000 people to keep him and his family in their prayers, and said he hoped to be "an instrument of God."

"Sometimes this is a difficult road being in politics," Obama said. "Sometimes you can become fearful, sometimes you can become vain, sometimes you can seek power just for power's sake instead of because you want to do service to God. I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God in the same way that Pastor Ron and all of you are instruments of God."

He finished his brief remarks by saying, "We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

Asked by CNN if he talks about faith more in churchgoing South Carolina than he does in the other early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire, Obama said: "I don't talk about it all the time, but when I'm in church I talk about it."

The man is slicker, and sleazier than Hill Billy Clinton.

Funny thing is... you always see his dad's side of the family surrounding him... but never his mom's.

I wonder why...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Unelectable stalking horse for clinton.  He's a sideshow to make white liberals feel good about their racist origins, and minorities feel like they had a contender.  All will eventually funnel into the clinton camp, per the plan.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]

I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth

Seems that similar statements through history has usually ended up with some group of people being slaughtered.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Down with kingdoms and death to kings.

The last king was driven out of Rome in 510 BC. They ended up getting another one later about 500 years later. Let us not repeat the mistake. King-free in spirit since 1776, king-free in fact since 1781. Let's stay that way!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Unelectable stalking horse for clinton.  He's a sideshow to make white liberals feel good about their racist origins, and minorities feel like they had a contender.  All will eventually funnel into the clinton camp, per the plan.

Funny how you bring up 'white liberals' feeling good.

I tried to address the issue of 'white guilt' in my race relations class last semester.

No one wanted to address it.

I wonder why.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't immanentize the eschaton!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know why but the use of the world "Kingdom" scares me. "Empire" would have been a better word to use.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth

Seems that similar statements through history has usually ended up with some group of people being slaughtered.

I can recall one instance in particular which occurred not too long ago.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
What he's talking about is the 1,000 year physical reign of Jesus Christ on Earth, just before the end of time.

Of course, most Christians believe that creating a perfect world will only happen when Jesus comes back, not before.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What he's talking about is the 1,000 year physical reign of Jesus Christ on Earth, just before the end of time.

Of course, most Christians believe that creating a perfect world will only happen when Jesus comes back, not before.

Is Obama suggesting that he will become Jesus then?

The new messiah?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The new messiah?

I'd buy "anti-Christ."

But not the real one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]
And just who would be king?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
graphics.christianbook.com/g/slideshow/3/3663x/main/3663x_1_ftc_dp.jpg
Ha,  the two Tony's think alike I see.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The new messiah?

I'd buy "anti-Christ."

But not the real one.

Well there's only one way to find out who the anti-chirst is.

Shoot em in the head. If they come back to life after a few days, we have a winner. At least that's what I've heard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
      will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. [a]

2 I will say  of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
      my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
      and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
      and under his wings you will find refuge;
      his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
      nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
      nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
      ten thousand at your right hand,
      but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
      and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
      even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
      no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
      to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
      so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
      you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
      I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
      I will be with him in trouble,
      I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
      and show him my salvation."

Or in simpler jargon "Get Sum"
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
He was broght up in the Islamic Extremist School... Crazy bastard. When you see him wave with your left hand FYI hes is a sack of sh!t too.

j0hn
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Funny thing is... you always see his dad's side of the family surrounding him... but never his mom's.

I wonder why...

Honkies aren't convenient when you're trying to blackify yourself in the name of pandering.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Asked by CNN if he talks about faith more in churchgoing South Carolina than he does in the other early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire, Obama said: "I don't talk about it all the time, but when I'm in church I talk about it."

Yeah, only talk about it when it gets you votes.  I really hope the church members saw right through his gimmic.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I would love to be a politician one day just to see if I can get elected without pandering to anybody ONCE. Without kissing a baby. Without church hopping. Without proclaiming I'm on fire for JEEEEEEsus and love Biblical laws, and then turning around and announcing I support A Woman's Right to Kill and decrying "under God" in the Pledge. Without taking pictures in some ugly orange suit hunting a deer and then calling for gun control. Without mocking the people defending America and then showing off my purple hearts awarded for shaving accidents in-theatre and bronze star for being within 10 miles of a firefight.

Without any of that fucking bullshit that everybody on both sides just sees some innate NEED to do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would love to be a politician one day just to see if I can get elected without pandering to anybody ONCE. Without kissing a baby. Without church hopping. Without proclaiming I'm on fire for JEEEEEEsus and love Biblical laws, and then turning around and announcing I support A Woman's Right to Kill and decrying "under God" in the Pledge. Without taking pictures in some ugly orange suit hunting a deer and then calling for gun control. Without mocking the people defending America and then showing off my purple hearts awarded for shaving accidents in-theatre and bronze star for being within 10 miles of a firefight.

Without any of that fucking bullshit that everybody on both sides just sees some innate NEED to do.

If you could run a full campaign that way, I'd vote for ya because of that alone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!  Zombie Jesus!  OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#23]
What a pandering douchebag.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Hillary wants the same thing

www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard139.html

eta - that article was written about 15 years ago, Murray had great foresight.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Don't immanentize the eschaton!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanentize_the_eschaton

Cool link.  A quote from the Catholic Catechism:

The Antichrist's deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the "intrinsically perverse" political form of a secular messianism.

2 Thessalonians, Chapter 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top