Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2013 7:44:16 AM EDT
Im looking to get some new polarized sunglasses for fishing. So my question is for the people who have a pair of oakleys are they worth the price?  Or some recommendations of other brands you prefer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I like mine.

I just got the Offshoot

Nice glasses
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im looking to get some new polarized sunglasses for fishing. So my question is for the people who have a pair of oakleys are they worth the price?  Or some recommendations of other brands you prefer.

Yes, their worth it IMO but it's a close thing...

For fishing, look at Costa del Mar. IMO the best on-the-water lenses I've ever used. Price point isn't far from Oakley though and they're not nearly as current-fashion as Oak's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I really liked my Costa Del Mars (mine had the high-end glass lenses), but I think they've gone through some sort of restructuring and they're called Costa now. They sell a lot of stickers to the Salt Life crowd, so I dunno if their quality is still the same.

I have a pair of Electrics now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oakley Flak Jacket polarized.  Awesome and worth every penny.  I had some Bolle's that were great to see through and very comfortable, they just did not hold up as well as the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Oakleys if I need the ballistic protection.  Otherwise, I really like Maui Jin (spelling?)
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a pair of Flack Jackets about 4 years ago. I wanted polarized lenses to cut down on glare. I still wear them almost every day, and have two extra sets of lenses so I can wear them shooting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've been wearing metal frame oakleys for about 11 years, and am on my second pair.  Their lenses and frames are very high quality and comfortable for me.  The main question you need to ask is if you will be able to keep up with / take care of them.  Are you the type of guy who loses his wallet / keys, or let's his vehicle go to shit?  Or do you maintain your stuff?  With a little effort a singe pair of oakleys will last you a long time, if you can keep up with them then they are totally worth the price (IMHO).
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I think they are worth the price.  Instead of buying a new $30 pair every year, I get one $120 pair that lasts +7yr.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of guys will say Costas (and they are really good).  The whole company is about fishing glasses.

I will say that I bumped into a pair of Bolle polarized glasses and haven't gone back to my Costas.  Nobody talks about them for fishing, but they rock!  

I fish quite a bit (freshwater) and a good pair of glasses are crucial to seeing underwater objects.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are .gov (FF, LE, MIL, some other jobs) you can register and get them at a sizeable discount
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]
If they're for fishing, get Maui Jims, Costa del Mars, or Ocean Waves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
hell yeah they are worth it
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Oakley Polarized Flak Jackets. Get a .mil, leo, or EMT friend to buy them for you directly from Oakley. They sell their stuff to those guys ridiculously cheap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]
After I had my Lasik done a few years back I celebrated by buying a pair of Oakley Straight Jackets. I love them. They have taken a beating over the years but still no scratches or issues at all. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Start here:

Oakley Vault

Buy a cheaper pair and see if you like them.

I have had quite a few pairs over the years, metal framed and plastic. I would recommend them to anyone.

I actually just full force stepped on mine the other day, the legs popped off and that was about it. Just popped em back together, G2G.

The ear socks on the metal framed ones have been known to flake. I don't know if they fixed this problem yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Oakley Juliets.

The "X metal" frames are fantastic, albeit pricey.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oakley Flak Jacket polarized.  Awesome and worth every penny.  I had some Bolle's that were great to see through and very comfortable, they just did not hold up as well as the Oakleys.

I like my polarized Flak Jackets too.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Love my Splinters.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are .gov (FF, LE, MIL, some other jobs) you can register and get them at a sizeable discount

Yes they are worth it and do this if you can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone ever try the Puma that the arfcom store has listed?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Maui Jim's
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also this
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I ditched Costa for Kaenon for fishing. My Kaenons are just as clear as Costa 580 glass but they won't shatter like the last 2 pair of Costas I had.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#25]

I'm not happy with my half jackets at all. The lenses scratch way too easy, and the rubber rots off it in about a year. I used to run Smiths, but every time I went to get parts they were discontinued. Considering making myself a pair of Eskimo sunglasses and calling it good.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm wearing the same pair I bought in 2000.  They aren't polarized though.  I bought a polarized pair, and the coating flaked off.  Probably something that I did to them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I won't go back to non-polarized lenses.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm not happy with my half jackets at all. The lenses scratch way too easy, and the rubber rots off it in about a year. I used to run Smiths, but every time I went to get parts they were discontinued. Considering making myself a pair of Eskimo sunglasses and calling it good.

Those are some kick ass snow blinds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Had a few pair of Oakleys, I now prefer Wiley X.  Nothing wrong with Oakleys I just think Wiley X has better quality for the price.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got Maui Jim's, Oakley Radars, Ray Ban Predators and Bolle Kings.  I like them all, but the Bolle's have clearest polarized lenses, for being the cheapest of the lot.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#31]
$200 for sunglasses. F-that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I won't go back to non-polarized lenses.

Same here. Makes a big difference, and after wearing polarized if you put on a pair of non polarized they seem pretty useless.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I have the m frames. Worth it? Nah. But I like them
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I got a pair of half.jacket 2.0's in flat black with polarized lenses ill sell ya.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I have had a pair of Oakley half-jackets for 4 years now and I love them to the point that I never want another pair of sunglasses for general use. Ill just buy more lenses if these ever wear out. With that said, I don't wear them in extreme adverse conditions (ex I refused to wear them while deployed) because I paid too much for them. So if you plan on ONLY wearing them for fishing, and not general use, get something cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Go to the Oakley Vault store.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#37]
what's the advantage of polarized lenses?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
what's the advantage of polarized lenses?

Cuts down glare by an insane margine.  I like wearing mine when it's raining (but obviously not dark out) as it really helps with road reflections and glare from the windshield.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Maui Jim's

These for fishing or out on the boat.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Oakley Polarized Flak Jackets. Get a .mil, leo, or EMT friend to buy them for you directly from Oakley. They sell their stuff to those guys ridiculously cheap.

I used to get the discount. It's literally 50% off on any product on the site. However, they don't have any fancy colors there. It's only the blacks and grays, stuff you'd wear in the field.

Quoted:
I actually just full force stepped on mine the other day, the legs popped off and that was about it. Just popped em back together, G2G.

Yup, I love the plastic frames for this. I've sat on mine and people have stepped on them. The earpieces just pop out and the plastic flexes a bit. Everything pops back together like nothing happened.

Quoted:
I'm not happy with my half jackets at all. The lenses scratch way too easy, and the rubber rots off it in about a year.

You must've done something wrong to them. I've had my pair of Half Jackets for about 6 years now (had another pair of Half Jackets for 4 years before that until I lost them ) and the rubber is just fine. No rotting or anything. And if you're careful, you won't scratch your lenses. Sounds like you're one of those people that's just not cut out to own nice sunglasses. Go guy your $10 gas station pair and stop complaining.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Check out the Revision's.  The Hell Fly Ballistic is my favorite.  They have posted discount codes for us on this site before. I believe the code "FANS" will currently get you 30% off. Military might be able to get them cheaper.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#42]
After years of wearing Oakleys (since the 80's) I switched to Costas.  Now I'm going back to Oakley.  For me the Costas didn't offer enough tint to block the sun on open water and on bright days.  Plus they don't fit as well as my Oakleys.  I have worn Blades and M Frames while fishing and playing sports w/ out any trouble (most of the time forgot they were on).  If I run or get jarred wearing my Costas they move and sometimes fall off.  I tried on many pairs before I got the Costas that I have and these were the best fit.  YMMV but that's my experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#43]
For fishing..

RayBans
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maui Jim's

Love mine
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a pair of M Frames that I've had for a long time. I like them.
Have a second pair with clear lenses for shooting. Damn good investment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#46]
X-Metal for the win.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Maui Jim's or Costa  better optical quality and can be had in rx.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Check out the Revision's.  The Hell Fly Ballistic is my favorite.  They have posted discount codes for us on this site before. I believe the code "FANS" will currently get you 30% off. Military might be able to get them cheaper.

http://www.kotte-zeller.de/$WS/kotte-zeller-shop/websale8_shop-kotte-zeller-shop/produkte/medien/bilder/gross/100136.jpg

what is their site? A google search just gets me to a bunch of retailers, can't tell which is "official".

eta: quoting you shows a link.  Denmark?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I use Native sunglasses.

Polarized, of decent quality, and less $$$ on hype.

oakley hypes the shit out of everything they make.  Their stuff isn't total garbage, but it's damned hard to tell where the quality leaves off and the hype starts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Costa Del Mar glass 580 lenses in whatever style you choose.

Nothing else is even close for use on the water. Oakley is, in fact SHIT on saltwater in bright sun.

Oakley is the HK of sunglasses...a very good product thats not nearly so good as their Marketing Department would have you believe.  COsta, , Kaenan and Maui Jim all make lenses that kick the ever loving shit out of the best Oakley has to offer.

And this is from someone who drank the a Oakley Kool Aid...I was  an avowed Oakley man ( at one time I had 7 pairs) until I tried Costas. I haven't looked back, and never will.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top