Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/24/2009 11:51:18 AM EDT
Is anyone else going to the Oakland officer's funeral this Friday?

My department's sending 10 officers fron Southern California.

I hate going to these things but its the least you can do to honor our brothers.

be careful,

John
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:56:03 PM EDT

NYPD Highway Patrol is sending 8 officers. no motorcycles allowed as per PC's orders. Arriving thursday night at Hilton Hotel.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:21:09 AM EDT
It will be hard to find a California law enforcement agency not represented at this funeral. This is probably one, if not the most officers killed in one incident in many years. I have been to four others and I hated going to each and every one, but I go because I feel that I have to honor my brother officers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:11:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:53:31 PM EDT
RE: NYPD It's a short turn around for us. W're flyin back home 10pm friday night. Wish I could have stayed and seen my relatives up in Tiburon.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:33:51 PM EDT
We're local (within about 2 hours) we expect to roll thru with about 100 patrol.

T1
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:40:23 PM EDT
I am in New Mexico and my agency isn't sending anyone....please send my respects to our fallen brothers. I make every one in my area that I can....I don't like them...but it is to show respct and support for the family.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:43:58 PM EDT
I'll be there with our Honor Guard. About an hour away. It will be a long day, but its the least we can do.....................
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:21:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:37:13 PM EDT
It is the custom of my people to send representatives or other notifications for affairs of State.

As I am not officially in such a capacity, it had not been an item ..................... but your note as reminded me of how I should approach such a considerations as I have with others in a private citizen capacity where it might not violate personal security. I shall take the matter under intense advisement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:27:41 PM EDT
The officers on the steps created a great image of the solidarity in LE. The backdrop/formation for unloading the caskets was a good choice.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:28:33 AM EDT
Thanks for the video link NorCal.

Very moving.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:20:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BiteDog:
Thanks for the video link NorCal.

Very moving.

+1, great tribute.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 8:12:35 PM EDT by COCKEDANDGLOCKED]
I just got home today and all I can say about the ceremony and whole weekend was a CLASS ACT! It was top notch from the hotel employees were we stayed; to the restaurant we had dinner at, to the ceremony and reception afterward. There were ten of us from our department in Southern California and we all looked like cops. Everywhere we went, a manager, or employee would politely come by our table and asked if we were in for the funeral. After a brief conversation, they would thank us for coming to THEIR town to honor THEIR officers. All I can say is I was really impressed with the community support!

...and to the officers of the OPD, keep your heads high, your chests out, and be safe!

You really made an impression!

Sincerely,

John
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 5:45:59 PM EDT by COCKEDANDGLOCKED]

#
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:01:19 PM EDT
I second that. The ceremony was well planned and was a definite representation of the commroderie and respect all of us brothers in blue have for each other. I also thought that the stories told by the officer's friends and family revealed to the public that Police Officers are human beings just like them. They have families, friends, and co-workers just like everyone else. We just happen to have a difficult job with overwhelming responsibilities that most people could not fathom. If anything this will soften the often hard line between the public and the Police Officers. Hopefully this makes our jobs a little bit easier and safer. When they showed Sgt. Sakai holding his infant daughter in his hand and kissing her, I broke and could not hold the tears back. It made me think of my own children and how his child will no longer have him to hold her in good and bad times. God bless brothers and rest in peace Sgt. Sakai, Sgt. Dunikan, Sgt. Romans, and Ofc. Hegie.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:54:55 AM EDT
R.I.P. Brothers

Thanks for the vid link Norcal
I couldnt watch the hole thing without gettin choked up
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 12:29:30 PM EDT by EdAvilaSr]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:50:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:15:03 PM EDT
I don't know what rock I have been hiding under but this thread was the first I heard about this incident. What a wonderful showing of support for the slain officers. May God bless their family, friends and colleagues.
Top Top