Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 11:04:24 AM EDT
OK guys, my turn to ask the legal question for the day,...I am currently negotiating w/my insurance co. on a workmans comp claim and it is now time to settle,(after two years)here is the rub, the insurance sent me a letter saying that they were going to deduct 4,000 dollars from my final settlement that they claim was paid to me as 'maintenance' after vocational rehab.

The problem is that I have not recieved anything at all!!! (after voc. rehab)
How do I prove a negative? How do I prove I didn't receive it?

I brought it up w/my lawyer and he says he will request a record of ALL payments made since the begining of the case, he says he needs to do this to determine what his cut is going to be any way.

There in lies the second rub, he is alluding that he is entitled to a percentage of monies that were paid to me while I was on short term disability, I would say that would be correct IF he'd had been on the case from the begining, which he has NOT!! I only retained him 6 monhts ago.

I did all the leg work so to speak, by rounding up all the records and getting Doctors reports that refute the insurances claims.
The only reson I retained him at all was to file for the hearing cause the insurance refused to take me seriously without an attorney. Can he do this? I he really entitled to a percentage of money recieved when wasn't even on the case?

I'm supposed to have my fainal hearing in two weeks, so I really need to keep all my 'ducks in a row'.

Please don't just answer by saying "yor screwed dude" I already know that, I need honest opinions.

Thanks to all in advance,
  AZMAN-1
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't say "Yer screwed, dude" until you review the contract you signed with this lawyer.  You did sign a contract, didn't you?

Once you read the contract, call me and THEN, I'll say, "Yer screwed, dude."
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can't say "Yer screwed, dude" until you review the contract you signed with this lawyer.  You did sign a contract, didn't you?

View Quote

The contract controls the fees. On comp cases, it's usually base on "new" money, not Temporary income benefits already received.

FWIW...YMMV... My .02
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I can't say "Yer screwed, dude" until you review the contract you signed with this lawyer. You did sign a contract, didn't you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contract controls the fees. On comp cases, it's usually base on "new" money, not Temporary income benefits already received.

FWIW...YMMV... My .02
View Quote

The contract on my case is standard, set by Calf. workmans comnp. board, 12% of final dis. settlement was what was discussed at time of original consultation and now it seems he is saying something different, I hope FatMan is right!!

Note to Mods: can we please keep this on front page for a couple of days, I need all the exposure I can get, Thanks, AZMAN. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
btt for AZMan

Good luck, dude!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top