Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 5:57:51 AM EDT
I know you need prior approval to bring your SBR out of state, My question is, Is your registered lower considered an SBR if you use it with a 16"+ upper? Can you transport the registered lower if you only bring a 16" upper with you? Can you point me to an ATF ruling on this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know you need prior approval to bring your SBR out of state, My question is, Is your registered lower considered an SBR if you use it with a 16"+ upper? Can you transport the registered lower if you only bring a 16" upper with you? Can you point me to an ATF ruling on this?
View Quote

An SBR is defined by its configuration, so a normal AR lower with 16 BBL is GTG.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That's my understanding. I'm trying to find some official confirmation of that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Great link but to me its still not clear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Not  SBR with 16" barrel, just a registered receiver. ask in the general class 3 or SBR sections of armory.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if I agree with the above

From what i've read, once a NFA item, always an NFA item,

From the above link

Q: If I remove the short barrel from the registered SBR or SBS, is the receiver still subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations?

If the possessor retains control over the barrel or other parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm would still be subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations. ATF recommends contacting State law enforcement officials to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Seem you would have to get rid of any sub 16inch uppers
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From the above link

Q: If I remove the short barrel from the registered SBR or SBS, is the receiver still subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations?

If the possessor retains control over the barrel or other parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm would still be subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations. ATF recommends contacting State law enforcement officials to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

View Quote

Sounds like if he went on a trip but left the SBR upper at home, that would be OK.

Disclaimer: don't take my word for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds like if he went on a trip but left the SBR upper at home, that would be OK.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the above link

that's how I read it. No ability to make SBR, it isnt an SBR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top