Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 6:41:38 PM EDT
I had a picture zip file e-mailed to me but it was to large for the sender to send as one file, so it came as two seperate files. How in the heck to I combined them so i can unzip the picture file?

Lost!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure if it will work for pics, but give [url]www.winzip.com[/url] a try.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Hahaha.....I have no idea.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am not sure if it will work for pics, but give [url]www.winzip.com[/url] a try.

Jamie
View Quote

Unzipping it isn't the part he's having trouble with. It's the combining the two seperate zipped files into one picture that is the kicker...
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
not sure if you mean the zip files are broken into two pieces or if the picture is broken into two pieces and each of those pieces zipped. but if it's actaully a clean split meaning that nothing real special was used to do split it that adds it's own headers and code and stuff you can just do like: copy file1.000 + file2.000 newfile.000

replacing of course the names and extensions with whatever they are and whatver the resulting file needs to have as an extension
it's worth a shot anyway the 2 original files will remain unchanged.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jamie
View Quote

Unzipping it isn't the part he's having trouble with. It's the combining the two seperate zipped files into one picture that is the kicker...
View Quote

I think winzip will do that these days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have WinZip this is how you split the file it is in the help file called Spanning

I am checking to see if it mentions how to combine split files

Good luck

WinZip makes it easy to create Zip files that "span" multiple disks.  This is useful if the files you are working with will not fit on one disk.

To make a Zip file that spans multiple disks, simply create a Zip file on a removable disk, then add files to the Zip as you normally would.  If the disk fills during Add operation, you will be prompted for another disk.  Simply insert the next disk and click the OK button.

Important: disk spanning is not available when adding files to an existing archive; it is only available while creating a new archive.  Also note that you cannot add or remove files from a Zip file that spans disks.  WinZip requires pre-formatted disks (you can format disks using the Windows Explorer or File Manager)

Example:

To zip the files in your c:\data folder to a Zip file called A:\DATA.ZIP:

1) Start WinZip

2) Drag and drop the c:\data folder from the Explorer or File Manager to the WinZip window

3) In the Drop dialog box, type the filename of the Zip file (A:\DATA.ZIP)

4) Click the Add button

If more than one disk is needed, you will be prompted for additional disks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope this helps

Sometimes you may receive multiple messages, where a file is split up into more than one message because of size limitations. You will need to use a text editor or the DOS COPY file command to paste the files together into one large file, and save it as a text file with a .UUE extension.

================================================

The message you receive with an encoded file will need to be prepared for the simple WinZip decoding operation. The steps you take will depend on the e-mail program you are using.

If you are using CompuServe Information Manager (WinCIM),

Double-click on the message to open it,

Select Save As from the File menu item,

Enter a file name using .UUE as the extension; for example: FILENAME.UUE.

If you are using MSMail,

Highlight the message (DO NOT open it; large messages are not handled well by MSMail)

Select Save As from the File menu item,

Enter a file name using .UUE as the extension; for example: FILENAME.UUE.

If you are using another e-mail program, one of the two methods described above may also work with your program. Be aware that some e-mail programs may crash or cut off parts of unusually large messages, so saving them as a file without opening them is the preferred method.

Your e-mail program may save a message attachment as an external file in a folder designated to receive them. In that case, it may automatically be named; you may wish to rename it, using a .UUE extension, for maximum convenience.

Sometimes you may receive multiple messages, where a file is split up into more than one message because of size limitations. You will need to use a text editor or the DOS COPY file command to paste the files together into one large file, and save it as a text file with a .UUE extension.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are using Linux:

vim part1 part2
(remove any headers/trailers/signature crap and save files)
cat part1 part2 > combined
gunzip combined
xv britneynakedwithdonkey.jpg &
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top