Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 6:17:59 PM EDT
I need the help of someone a little more knowledgeable than me about internet type stuff. I'm an E.E., but don't have a lot of background in networking type stuff.

Anyway, someone tried to change my eBay password today. eBay sent me a note asking if I had made the request and provided me with the I.P. address and ISP server of the scumbag trying to hack my account. What, besides contacting the ISP (already did that) can I do to identify the POS? I don't want to post the IP info in public (yet) since for all I know it was an accident. THe last thing I need is some punk bidding in my name on U2 tickets or a Rosie doll or something....
Any ideas would be appreciated.

gus

[:(!]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much really. The IP address is a "list" of what the ISP gives out to its dial-up customers to use when they connect thru them. They can check and see who by the logon used this IP at the time you said this happened thru logfiles.  
That help?
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same thing happen to me on the 13th.  FWIW...here's the info in the e-mail I got.  Any similarity to yours?

This request was made from:
IP address: 140.247.38.178
ISP host: mathers-.fas.harvard.edu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top