Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 10:42:24 PM EDT
In the market for a laptop.  Will be used primarily for word processing and keeping track of finances/schedules.  Get CD writeable or save my $$?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
well since most laptops well atleast the ones i was looking at had either a cdr or a DVD ROM drive. i would just get the cdr unless u wanted to play DVDs on your comp
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes definitely, would not go without one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell ya - if you are going to shell out for a laptop - BUY A THINKPAD!  I have had several personally, and I am currently using 3 (Home, travel, and one for my business,) set one up for my wife, and will be getting one for my oldest son soon.  I have never been anything but pleased with the ThinkPad series laptops, they are very easy to work with, good stable OEM configurations, excellent choice of factory accessories, and the factory tech support (which I have only needed twice in ten years!) has come thru for me quickly!  I actually had to send one of my machines in - IBM paid shipping both ways (both times,) turned it around inside of a day, and got me up and running each time!

The IBM T20 (my current 'main' machine) has taken care of me very well.  Accessories:

Multi-port USB hub - with LPT, COM, 2xPS/2, 5xUSB
6XDVD-ROM
32X/4X (?) CD-RW
USB FDD
Second HDD adapter for UltraBay 2000

And that's just the stuff I have RIGHT NOW.  Mre to come sometime soon...

I use the second ThinkPad (600E) for storing the bulk of my MP3 collection on for long trips - it plugs into my CD player in the dashboard of my truck.  The third unit (760XD) I use for business - I don't need a fast modem for it, and it gives me the means to operate on the road AND have a completely segregated system for inspection purposes...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
FreeFireZone,
Thanks for the info on the Thinkpad.  My dad is retired from IBM and can still get discounts on all IBM products.  He suggested the Thinkpad a while back.  I'll definitely check those out.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you've got the green, the Dell 8000 Inspiron is tough to beat. DVD/CD/CDR combo drive, up to 1 GHz speed.

More importantly you can get the nvidia GeForce2Go chip on it for accelerated 3D graphics. It pumps it up to about the same 3D speed as a GeForce2 desktop, so you can meet all your gaming needs.

These things were all over the place at SIGGRAPH in LA this year. I think all the graphics people bought out the entire production run.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a laptop with a CDRW.  I cannot tell you what a lifesaver it is.  Absolutely get one; before you know it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.  The uses are incredible:
Quick backups of important bulky stuff
Share large files with people in seconds

If you are into music, you can store your MP3 collection easily, burn audio CDs to play in the car.... the list goes on and on.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto here.  If you're cash limited, look at the WinBooks.  They may not have the most horsepower, but in bang for your buck I don't think they can be beat.  This is my second one, and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#8]
If you got the cash, get the best.

http://www.qbenet.com/productsOriginal.htm

I have had 2 and so far they are light years ahead of anything else out there.  You gotta pay to play with one, but they are worth amlost every dollar.

AR50Troll
[grenade]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely with CDRW.  That will give you more use that anything else. DVD is ok if you want to watch movie from your laptop. If I have the money, I will go with the DVD writer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top