Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 6:38:14 AM EDT
Well the time has come! After milking all I possibly could out of my old, old computer; PC Chips M577 witha K6II 550 @ 600, it is time to build a new one! This time I'd like to come out a little ahead of the curve. I know this is a gun forum but there seem to be a bunck of knowledge here!

I am a gamer and play alot of flight sims and  tactical shooters like Rouge Spear and such... I want a sys that will run the heck out of Ghost Recon and FS 2001.

Based on some things I have read I have a general idea about what I want but I need some advice. I have been out of the loop for quite some time regarding the tech stuff.

What is the consensus on processors? I am thinking about an AMD 1800+ with a Gigabyte MB or a P4 in the 1.7 or higher range with an 850 chip MB. I can afford a 2.0 but is there a better/comperable option...? BTW, is RAMBUS all it has cracked up to be? DDR type with the AMD right?

As far as video cards, I know I want to go with a GeForce but WHICH ONE? The info out there is just too much! IS the GF 3 worth the price upgrade from GF2? Also I know the GF3's will be half price in 6 months...

Regarding sound cards I was thinking of keeping it simple with a Sound Blaster Live or Value. Any input there?

Also I am not clear on what the best Hard Drive type would be. I know ATA-100m is good. Is that compatable with AMD MBs as well as P4 MBs?

I know it is a lot to ask but thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.sharkyextreme.com[/url]

Check out the reviews and forums there for some good info.

ATA-100 Drives should work with AMD and Intel MB's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well the time has come! After milking all I possibly could out of my old, old computer; PC Chips M577 witha K6II 550 @ 600, it is time to build a new one! This time I'd like to come out a little ahead of the curve. I know this is a gun forum but there seem to be a bunck of knowledge here!

I am a gamer and play alot of flight sims and  tactical shooters like Rouge Spear and such... I want a sys that will run the heck out of Ghost Recon and FS 2001.

Based on some things I have read I have a general idea about what I want but I need some advice. I have been out of the loop for quite some time regarding the tech stuff.

What is the consensus on processors? I am thinking about an AMD 1800+ with a Gigabyte MB or a P4 in the 1.7 or higher range with an 850 chip MB. I can afford a 2.0 but is there a better/comperable option...? BTW, is RAMBUS all it has cracked up to be? DDR type with the AMD right?

As far as video cards, I know I want to go with a GeForce but WHICH ONE? The info out there is just too much! IS the GF 3 worth the price upgrade from GF2? Also I know the GF3's will be half price in 6 months...

Regarding sound cards I was thinking of keeping it simple with a Sound Blaster Live or Value. Any input there?

Also I am not clear on what the best Hard Drive type would be. I know ATA-100m is good. Is that compatable with AMD MBs as well as P4 MBs?

I know it is a lot to ask but thanks!!
View Quote

1) Go with the AMD and DDR RAM. After about 8 years doing this kind of stuff for a living, this is by far the best bang for the buck. I deal with Intel stuff all the time and the above is what I use at home for the same apps. RAMBUS is way too expensive for the dubious gain in performance. Get at least 256MB RAM.

2) Get the GeForce 3 if you can afford it, and get as much on-board DDR Video RAM as possible. Don't skimp here, as this will last QUITE awhile.

3)SB Live! or X-Gamer are fine.

4)HDD- get a 40 GB 7500RPM IDE drive. I use Maxtor, but just about any will do.

5)Get a CD burner, get a DVD ROM player. Run the DVD as Master on your second IDE connector, run the CD burner as the slave.

6) Buy a full-tower case, with 300+ watt power supply. Buy LOTS of fans to put in said case.

7) Buy powered subwoofer speakers, preferably a 5.1 surround setup. Less than $200 these days.

8) buy a 21" monitor. Factory refurbished at computer shows Viewsonic runs around $250-$300 here.

Hope this helps,
Don Out
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Paul, good advice. I don't make enough $$$ to keep on the cutting edge, so the above was my solution for something that will work fine for 2-3 years. If he builds it himself, he can upgrade components as stated by you. Good idea on the dual-processor MB. My AMD is a Thunderbird 900, I run 3D Studio MAX as well as the games. No problems here, other than using a slower drive until I can cough up $$$ for the faster one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Rambus is all hype. speaking as a systems engineer it is my opinion that the AMD Duron represents the most signifigant bang for the buck. i would avoid DDR ram now too. its great stuff but the average user wont feel its impact. you can get a Duron 1100 on a motherboard for around $130  try www.pricewatch.com for this. also you MUST go to www.tomshardware.com  the best hardware site in the world they have an extensive review of the new Duron 1200 that shows it STOMPING a P4 1500 in 4 out of 5 benchmarking tests. not bad for a $65 processor. also i would seriously consider a Radeon over a GeForce3 at this point if youre on a budget. i have both and for the money the Radeon is a good choice. i built 3 machines this week for gamers on a budget. this was their config.

AMD Duron 1000
ECS motherboard w/onboard sound
Radeon 64MB VIVO
256mb RAM
20GB ATA100 HDD
12x burn-proof CD-RW
42x CD-ROM
floppy
12x DVD

all for $595  cant beat that with a BAT
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]
THANKS SO MUCH GUYS! Ya'll really cleared some things up for me!

I think this is what I'm gonna build:

A Wind Tunnel II case from coolerguys.com. Expensive, I know but it would be the last case I ever bought! I like the port panel in the front. Check out the Silver Pro Gamer... Thinkin' about that one, it is just too damn cool! (No pun intended!)

AMD XP 1800+ (may go for the 1900+ as it is just $30 more...)

Gigabyte GA-7DX MB as I have seen it recommended several places. (The dual processor idea is very interesting, though. Will Win 98 SE run the board with only one processor installed? I'm not gonna donate to Bill Gates just now. Also is the performance jump as significant as it would seem it would be? Are there game/app compatibility issues?)

512 MBs PC1200 DDR RAM at $30 each for 526 MB sticks!

A GeForce 3 of some variety... Dunno which yet. There are just too many of them out there. Expensive but I've been behind the curve so long I wanna stand ahead for a while.

A 40 GB (or maybe bigger) 7500RPM ATA-100 drive. The Maxtors are not overly expensive and seem well reviewed. QUESTION: the "IDE interface" for the drive is integral to the MB correct? Or is that something I have to buy?

Regarding sound, I am gonna go with a less expensive Sound Blaster. I have a really nice Altec Lansing 3 piece sat/sub speaker system and can't see going to a 5.1 5 piece setup anytime soon.

I have a Creative 8/4/32 CDRW I'm gonna use for now. It is crappy but does the job OK. I'll buy a fast CD-ROM drive of some sort. Don't need a DVD. Can't see when I'd use it to watch movies.

I have a 19" Mag Innovision monitor that I have been very happy with so no monitor purchase is needed right now.

Have I forgotten anything?

Guys, thanks again! This sys is made of ya'lls suggestions and the sys recommended in the sharkeyextreme site (the ref sys for the XP 1800+ review). I truly do appreciate it! You all gave great input! I knew I could turn to my fellow Ar15'ers for this!

I'll pass on my total $$'s when done.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Correction on the MB. Gonna go with the Asus A7V266-E. Much better I hope/think.

Getting a Vision Tek GeForce3 Ti 200 for $99 at Buest Buy TOMORROW!!!!!

Input?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the GeForce! Also got a Maxtor 30gb 7200rpm HD AND a Yamaha CRW2200 CDRW. All for $270! I thing I got some good deals today!

Sorry to BTT but I'd love to hear any further suggestions!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You're on the right track. The IDE controller is built into the motherboard, no need to get one of those separate. I would go with the XP1900+, especially if you can get it for only $30 more than the XP1800+. These babies consistently beat the P4 2.0s in speed tests and are mush less expensive. One note on these high-speed AMD systems: Do not skimp on your cooling. Spend some money on good case and processor fans and you will be much happier. Also, I would opt for the 400W power supply, preferably from a good manufacturer such as Antek(sp?). The AMDs are also a bit picky about their power. There should be some information on approved power supplies on AMD's site.

You cannot go wrong with Asus boards. Let me know how everything works out, I am looking to do an identical upgrade in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I second everything that 11H1P said, to a 'T'.

My personal preference is Abit motherboards. They got some pretty cool stuff, and their boards are high quality. But Asus and Tyan are good too.

I like to get my memory from [url]www.crucial.com[/url]. In my personal opinion, it's the best memory, period.

I would suggest going with a Western Digital, IBM, or a Quantum hard drive. In my sort-of professional experience, Maxtor and Seagate blow big chunky gooey dripping chunks. Unless they got better in the last 5-6 years, and I haven't heard anything.
Make sure the motherboard's BIOS supports the size of the hard drive you get. I've been out of the loop for a while, but there's some hard drive size limitations regarding BIOS. Just check to be sure.

For some brands of motherboards, you can go to [url]www.motherboards.com[/url]. I'm not saying to buy from them - I'm just saying you can go there. They list more specs than you actually need to know (at least, for the ones they sell, anyway - Abit, Gigabyte, Soyo, Transcend, Iwill, and Epox). I find it a good reference site when looking at new boards. Unfortunately they don't seem to have Asus or Tyan.

And, for the "phony-tough and crazy-brave", if you want to see some damn good deals (but no guarantee you're buying from a reputable source), try [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url]. It's basically a place where different stores can put up their cheapest prices, and they get listed in ascending order, cheapest price first. But be careful. What I like to do is look for the cheapest price that is also from a name I've heard of, or am familiar with.

Soon, I'll have to build a new system to replace this aging celery 400 I built 4 years ago. But it's still fast enough to play Deus Ex, Thief 2, and Unreal Tournament, as well as the original Zork, and Angband, so I'll be fine for a little bit longer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I like everyone's advice, but I would not be so quick to go for a multi-processor machine. If the application is not written with multi-processing in mind, multiple processors can actually degrade performance. For instance, if two threads need access to the same shared memory object, Windows needs to reset the bus in order to synchronize access to the shared memory. This is a very expensive process in terms of CPU cycles. So, unless you are using software written specifically to deal with multiple processors (such as enterprise database systems), you are wasting your money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top