Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:07:36 PM EDT
I got my first DVR a few days ago and I have a few questions that I thought the hive mind could help me with:

1)  Is the quality different between the tape and a memory card?
2)  Also, why do my movies look stretched horizontally when I replay them using Quicktime, Media Player, etc..

Any other tips that you could give a newb would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What make & model did you get?

In my camera the video data is stored digitally so, no, there is no difference between that stored on the DV tape and my (SD) card.  I always save the (SD) card for still photos.  Did you run out of tape or something?  Why put video on the card?

I do not know anything intelligent about your second question.  Mine does not do what you are describing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Samsung D355.  If you notice no difference in quality, I will just use the tape.  I noticed that the memory card does not hold much movie length anyways.  Also, what editing software do you use?  Is there a good freebie out there?  The software that came with it is not very user-friendly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My camera is a Panasonic PV-GS400.  It's a nice 3CCD camera with a large LCD screen and also has a 4 megapixel still camera built in that really works.  I'll go research your Samsung's specs.

I use the Panasonic software to capture the video.  I don't know why, it just works so I use it.

I edit video with SONY Vegas 5.0.  The sound editting I do is done with SONY Sound Forge.

I create the DVD (chapters, appearance, etc.) with SONY DVD Architect.

I got these as a bundle off eBay for about $100.  They were legitimate copies, as I registered them with SONY and have had no trouble (I was worried due to the ultra low price I bid).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top