Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/11/2001 1:00:57 AM EST
Nothing super bad here, but I know we have a few medical types floating about here, and I can't afford a doctor with no insurance, and especially nt for something as small as my problem. Anyway. About three months ago, I was working in the yard, and got a blister in the inside bend of the last joint on my finger. I drained it, and it had healed to fresh, new skin under where the blister had been. (The old, dead skin had fallen/peeled off by this time.) Then I managed to cut this area when it was still tender skin, right down in the crease, on a piece of sheetmetal. (No, it was not rusty.) Anyway. The cut healed, but ever since, it won't heal completely. The skin keeps drying out and cracking in this small area right on either side of where the cut was. It always exposes fresh, pink skin underneath when I get rid of the dried, cracked top layers, but within a couple days, this new skin also dries out and cracks away, leaving more skin. And it's getting old. If I use hydrocortisone or Neosporin or something like that with a band-aid, it seems to help, but when I stop at the recommended maximum interval, it always goes back to doing this after a couple days. Its getting annoying, as it's very tender, and hurts a bit when I put pressure on it from curling my finger, or writing. Any advice, folks?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:03:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2001 3:58:33 AM EST by GWIGG]
I think Blue Cross Blue Shield has a web site where you can go and ask questions or look up things like this. They do it to cut down on claims. Search for that or a simular site. I've never searched for anything like that so good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:10:05 AM EST
Are you diabetic?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:11:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2001 4:06:49 AM EST by cpermd]
Several possibilities You have a small foreign body under the skin Viral infection Fungal infection Do you smoke or have Diabetes? Do NOT use hydrocortisone,it is for allergies and slows down healing and decreases circulation. cpermd
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:26:47 AM EST
Nothing under the skin, I cna tell that right away... I was also tending towards the viral/fungal infection route. Not a diabetic, and do not smoke. Not usually around people who do, either. This is the first time i've had a problem like this. Pending another reply, I will try to hunt up one of those medical encyclopedia sites like GWIGG said, and see if I can make use of it. Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:39:26 AM EST
Try to leave that finger immobilized until it completely heals. Also, any swelling, drainage,odor, or tenderness of the area when you`re not using it? If there is, chances are you have an infection. Finally, is your tetanus immunization up to date? Since you cut it on metal it would be wise to update it if it`s more than 5 years since your last immunization. Don`t aasume you`re safe because the metal didn`t look rusty. Tetanus is > 90% fatal if actually contracted. HTH.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:43:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2001 4:40:34 AM EST by mattimeo]
I actually just got a new tetanus shot around the beginning of the year, after getting ahold of some other metal I was working around. So it ought to still be current. Edited to say also that yes, the area itself is tender to the prodding whether i've been using it or not. I'm pretty much assuming the skin is infected, but I wanted some other opinions. So what can I do about this, on my own, assuming an infection? I want to try what I can before being forced to go spend out of pocket cash on a doctor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:10:04 AM EST
mattimeo, It`s probably time to see someone. Last thing you want is the joint itself to get infected. That can lead to chronic problems with your finger. You could also develop septicemia, generalized blood infection. A single visit and some cheap antibiotics can save you a lot more problems in the future. I hear you on the insurance issue. Check with your local or state dept of health or social services. They should be able to help you with finding available resources. If you have a practioner that you used to see,give them a call. They might be willing to work out something. In the days of HMOs, there is no better way to be a health care providers friend than to say, "Would you like a check or credit card for that?" Theoffice manager of the handsurgeon who removed some warts from my hand,including joints,just about kissed my brother and I because we whipped out the old checkbooks. This guy is one of the top people in the Northeast and he gets scewed constantly, even by other healthcare people. As an ER nurse myself, I hate when people use the Er for primary care. But if all else fails you can use that route. Most ERs have minor treatment areas that should be able to help you out. Before going that route,definitely check out your state regs on the care they have to provide to someone in your situation. HTH Bob
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:15:48 AM EST
Top Top