Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 3:01:59 PM EDT
Any opinions on a Glock 27 as a concealed carry gun.
I currently have a Ruger SP101 in .357, That I carry in a pocket holster.
I am thinking about a G27 in one of those crotch holster things.
Anyone got one? Likes, Dislikes?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd carry one on my hip, but not even remotely close to my crotch.  I'm certain you've heard about the glock trigger and how ackward it is for some to get used to.  There's also the fact that you won't have any place to put your pinky unless you buy a magazine/grip extension.  I suggest the Pierce +1 Magazine extension.  Control without the added extension is somewhat decreased.

I highly suggest you fire one before you buy one so you know what you're getting into.  They're great guns, but they are not for everyone.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my 27 but I did put grip a extension on it. Trigger takes some getting used to, not the greatest in the world. I tried those crotch holsters but not for long. I use a various hip holsters depending upon how I'm dressed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You can do no better for a concealed carry gun than a G27.  The trigger is not that bad at all.  Get a sidearmor IWB holster and you have a great setup for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Had the 26. Itwas not accurat enough for me. So i went to a fullsize Glock 22. I never cared to much for a 9mm anyway's lol at least to put a wad of money in so i settled on a Kel-Tech in 9mm, the little gun with a side clip on it is very lite. ANd took it to IDPA match, What a blast, the way they looked at but they were amazed by how accurate it is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]

My choice also. Don't let these guys scare you about the trigger, you simply pull it back and it fires every time!! Very important for a self defense gun.  I did add the grip extension with the +1 option, I recommend it.  You should shoot one first however. I also own a G17, G20, and G22 and the smaller frame on the 27 does require a bit more practice to become proficent. Good stopping power in a small package.  Mine seems to shoot the 155 gr Speer Gold Dots the best.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I love but don't think I would trust the Glock trigger mechanism in anything but a well-fitting holster. I use a Blade Tech IWB and really like it. Like the others, I also would recommend the Pierce grip extension. It makes no difference on concealment but makes a big difference in shooting quality. I also agree on the choice of a Kel Tec in 9mm. Mine works perfectly and you can carry it all day. Because of the long trigger I'm more comfortable carrying the Kel Tec sans holster. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
crotch holster.
View Quote

You can get your jollies and hold a gun at the same time?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this an extention of a post from the Hard Core Forum???
I just don't want to give you duplicate info...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been carrying a G27 stoked with Triton Quik-Shoks ever since Glock came out with it.  It's the only gun I have that resides outside the safe.  No finger extension, your little finger doesn't do much to control the gun anyway IMHO, although it does feel funny to have it dangling at first.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Great gun.  the only thing that bugs me about CcW is the wieght, and if you are switching from a SP101 that won't be too big an issue.  I have two mags w +1 extensions (brings it up to the legal 10), and one without.  The without is for ankle and pocket carry, where grip length really matters.  The +1s are for holster carry, as the back of the butt stays the same length, and that is what you have to worry about "printing."  

I have a set of AO Tritium Big Dot sights on it, since it is carried for personal protection.  At clse ranges there is nothing I have found that is quicker or easier.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you can now get a 9mm conv barrel for the 27. ZThis might be a plus if you decide the 27 in 40 is to much recoil in a small package and cheaper to practice with. But as always if you convert make sure it is reliable before using for self defense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The 9mm conversion is possible, with two important notes.  
1) you must buy an aftermarket conversion barrel, not a GLOCK OEM G26 barrel.  The outside diameter of the barrel is different.  This is not the case with the .40 and .357, which swap right out.  
2) you must buy a G26 magazine.  the G27 mag will work sometimes, but the feed lips are wider, and it can double feed.  You are talking about CCW, so why risk your life when new mags are less than $20.  

It is sometimes alleged you need a new extractor and ejector.  I have conversions for my G23 and G35, have not replaced these parts, and have had zero problems.  You will know immediately if you need a new ejector, as a small percentage of .40's firing 9mm will throw the brass back at you.  If this does not happen immediately you are fine.  As to the extractor, some say the slightly different design causes stress, and it may break.  As far as I can tell this is hypothetical, there has not been a single documented case.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top