Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/1/2001 12:53:26 PM EDT
Been toying with the idea of getting a small 38 to mess around with. Noticed a fair number of Charter Arms Undercovers availible at the shows. Look like decent guns and the price is right 150 or so. Anybody have any experience with them? Yeah, I know they won't be as nice as Smith, Colt, Ruger, etal. But they're about half the price as well. Just looking for a shooter, maybe run back up match at IDPA sometime. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:06:05 PM EDT
I can’t comment on the quality of the more recent production of Charter, but during the ‘80s I had a number of them, both stainless and blued. IMHO they have a service life about 75% that of a steel S&W J- frame (and more than an alloy frame). From my experience, the weak points in the design are: 1. The crane is held to the frame by a screw that tends to back-out if it’s not secured with lok-tite. 2. The muzzle end of the ejector rod also unscrews if you don’t use lok-tite. 3. The trigger action is not as smooth as a S&W. 4. When the crane is open the cylinder wobbles and can shift for and aft, slowing a speed reload. 5. Two of the six I had for any period of time had the firing pin return spring break. All in all though, I like them for what they are – an inexpensive, safe, small revolver of moderate quality.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2001 3:18:13 PM EDT by tc6969]
I had an Undercover. it was a great gun and VERY accurate!They are mostly hideout/undercover/backup guns.Like Maddock said, I dont think they would hold up well as a sporting gun. If you are going to shoot a lot I would say get a used smith J frame or a colt. As far as shooting a box for proficiency and then stashing under the bed for SHTF I would certainly recommend them.
Top Top