Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 5:55:05 PM EDT
When installing ceramic tile on a countertop and backsplash, should I use thin set or mastic?
The tiles I'm using are 16x16. The only mastic I could find (type 1 mastic @ the Home Depot, only place open today) says not to use for tiles larger than 12x12.
The "experts"[%|] at the Home Depot told me to use thin set for the whole job, but I've been told in the past to [b]NEVER[/b] use thin set for a vertical app (the backsplash).
Should I listen to the goons at Home Depot, or wait till Monday & see if I can find a different type of mastic at a tile shop?
echo6
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I use thinset for vertical wall tiles all the time. I think what you need to consider is what surface your applying them too. If your going on top of a cement board or if You floated concrete i would use the thinset. If your going on top of a drywall surface like greenboard i would use the mastic.Im not sure why the tile size would matter with the mastic. good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top