Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2001 4:18:27 PM EDT
I'm checking out this rifle for a friend, receiver is marked "Spandau 1890". It's a straight bolt action with fixed mag. On the side it has GEW88. It must be an export from the other markings, has a crest under a crescent moon and what could be Arabic or maybe Oriental markings on the rear ladder site. No caliber stamps, but appears to be an 8mm. Has the right side bayo lug and solid jacket covering the barrel. Anyone have any info on this thing? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The GEW Patr 88 is not a Mauser. It was designed by the German Infantry Commission at Spandau Arsenal. Also note these used the .318 dia J Patrone cartridge. It is unsafe to fire the .323 S ammo in these rifles...
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Found a pic that looks like it in Gun Parts Book. It looks the same and is listed as a
"Mauser Commission 88". GPC book did mention an oriental version, also.

OSA, can't get your pic, but thanks anyway.

This one is kind of an oddball. It's actually in good to very good condition. Am not familiar with those .323 cartridges.

Just trying to see if this is worth giving a few bucks for, but don't really need another wallhanger.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It is common to refer to this rifle as a Mauser (ie GPC listing). Mauser had nothing to do with its design though. Modern 8mm ammo is all S-type (.323 dia). J-type (.318 dia) is still loaded and sold in Europe but carries the different name. The US produced ammo is downloaded due to these older rifles/J-bore still in use. This is a Mannlicher type action so it requires clips to operate. They are well made rifles and used by second line and garrison troops during the Great War...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a M-88  The cresent and star are Turk markings,(Turkey was a big user of mausers)anyway, see if you can find a copy of Ludwig Olsen's book, "Mauser Bolt Rifles" the 88 is covered in detail,check your local libary, they may have a copy, if you're into Mausers, you should have a copy,I think Brownell's sells them,And if I'm not mistaken, if you buy one of their catalogs you'll find a coupon inside for a discount on a copy, that's how I got mine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info.

Noname, I've seen drawings of the clips for this. Do they stay in during firing or just for loading like a regular stripper clip? There isn't what I would call a follower in the mag.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The clip is 5 round and stays in rifle. When the last round is fired the clip falls away.
Other sources of info:
1- Mauser Rifles---NRA Book Services (reprints of old American Rifleman tests)
2- Military Small Arms of the 20th Century-7th edition---Hogg/Weeks
3- Cartridges of the World-7th edition---Barnes
4- Bolt Action Rifles-3rd edition---de Haas
5-Rifles of the World-2nd edition---Walter
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
RMac,

As Noname has pointed out, there's a difference in ammunition between the older pre-1905 8mm Mauser (which is what your 1888 commission rifle is chambered for) versus the post-1905 8mm. Besides the increase in bore diameter, "S" bore ammo is also loaded to higher pressures. Do [b]NOT[/b] use any of the surplus 8mm Mauser ammo currently available. All that stuff is full power .323 diameter "S" bored ammo. Besides the ammo differences, the 1888 commission straight pull is nowhere near as strong as the '98 Mauser action.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies. Got more info than I expected on this. If I decide to keep this, got any ideas where I could find a clip or two?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you try GPC? Feel free to email me if you have any other questions and/or need info...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top