Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2003 8:07:43 PM EDT
I am ordering some items through Brownells, so I decided to stock up on some cleaning solvents since the prices are pretty good (C&R FFL discount).  So I get the ORMD hazardous materials notice, and they must shipped UPS or Fedex ground.  Ok, fine, but when I get to the checkout, it tells me that the shipping cost will be determined.

So what type of extra shipping costs are involved?  I'll just get the solvents locally if they're going to hit me with a big hazmat shipping fee.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be paying $7.25 their flat rate. They don't charge anything extra for ORMD stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll just get the solvents locally if they're going to hit me with a big hazmat shipping fee.
View Quote

That would definetally suck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I would call those folks on voice and ask them, what are the exactly shipping charges on items of interest. You're gonna spend $2 for a phone call.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Brownell's, TOLL FREE # 800-741-0015.

$7.25 is about right with no upcharge for UPS Ground (ORM-D).
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you sure about this?  I was looking at buying some Sweet's 7.62 the other day, but their shipping FAQ said there was an additional [b]$20 fee per ORMD item[/b], and they all must be shipped seperately.

Edit: here's a link:
[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/CustomerService/shipping.aspx#sr[/url]

[i]"ORMD and hazardous materials will only travel UPS or FedEx and require an additional $20.00 fee."[/i]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I called, and they told me that it depends on the item.  I asked about my specific items, and the lady said there was no ORMD up charge for those items (Hoppes and shooter choice solvents), but it must be shipped by ground.  I'm not 100% convinced though, so I'm just going to order everything but the solvents, and get that stuff locally.  The price difference isn't really worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Not 100% convinced? Why is that? I've told you what the charges were and someone else the exact same thing. Don't believe I order stuff like this all the time from them without the upcharge? *shrug* So, you don't believe us and now you speak to them on the phone and *STILL* don't believe it?

Oh boy, gotta love the internet!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not 100% convinced? Why is that? I've told you what the charges were and someone else the exact same thing. Don't believe I order stuff like this all the time from them without the upcharge? *shrug* So, you don't believe us and now you speak to them on the phone and *STILL* don't believe it?

Oh boy, gotta love the internet!
View Quote

Relax chief!  It's not personal!

Actually you are the only one to claim that there is no up charge.  Mikr only said "$7.25 is about right with no upcharge for UPS Ground (ORM-D)" which I interpreted to mean that IF there is no upcharge, $7.25 would be the right price for the UPS Ground minus ORM-D cost.

Yet in their policies, the Brownells website states a $20 upcharge, and that the package must ship separately, which to me indicates TWO shipping costs.  AND they gave me a ORMD notice when I try to check out, and state that shipping costs are 'To be determined.'  The lady I spoke with didn't seem to be the most knowledgeable person, but she did state that there was a $10-20 upcharge on SOME ORMD items, but not all.  I gave her the stock numbers, and she said no charges.

It's not that I don't believe YOU, I just don't think Brownells is clear enough on this issue.  I'm getting conflicting info from the website and the lady answering the phone.

It's not a big deal to me since it's only a couple bottles of solution, so I don't want to risk paying an extra $20 when I can go down the street and get the items for a couple bucks more.

Thanks for your help, I didn't mean you any offense.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
That 20 dollar fee you speak of is for things like 'Powder', 'Primers', etc.. Nothing personal about this at all, but.. I'm not going to turn blue trying to convince you that the couple of grand I spend with them a year includes many shipments of "ORMD" chemicals without any more shipping charges then their $7.25 flat rate. You've asked about it, I've told you from 'experance' not reading/making shit up and you think it's best to disregard it. Buy it locally, pay more, pay sales tax, be happy.. :)
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, I'm taking your word for it.  I just put in my order.

BTW, I never doubted your experience, I merely stated that Brownells needs to be a bit clearer on there ORMD policies.  In particular this bit from the website:

ORMD and hazardous materials will only travel UPS or FedEx and require an additional $20.00 fee.
Note: Hazardous materials and ORMD products can only be sent ground (they can never go 2nd Day or Next Day, because these services involve air-delivery). However, let's say you were ordering Bluing Salts and a scope. Our shippers will automatically split your order into two: One consisting of the restricted shipping item and another consisting of the regular item. Unfortunately this generates two sets of shipping charges.
View Quote

Anyway, if they charge me, I'm going after YOU for my $20. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
There ya go, smart man! By the way, if the item in question is subject to the $20 fee it will state that when you click on that individual item. Try it out, use the blueing salts as an example.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, I guess I am inclined to believe now, too.  Thanks for clearing this question up from your personal experience.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I ordered some solvents, Do-Drill and AlumaHyde II last week, and yes, the charges show TBD when ordering online until the emailed shipping invoice arrived which showed $7.25....my advice is to call them to be sure for your particular order. (this goes for anyone unsure of their order)
That shipment I received was labeled ORM-D.
It does seems they need to be much more specific on what they charge more for, so again, I'd call them up to be certain for your particular item(s). They've been pretty good about their customer service, so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top