Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:24 PM EDT
I get about six emails a day from my grandma.  It used to be my grandpa when he first got on the Internets some years back but grandma is now picking up the slack.  Almost all of the emails can be found on snopes under "false".  Most of these a normal person would read and say "no way could that be true", but for Old People, anything is possible.  See this picture of an alligator that looks twice as long as a 6' tall man standing next to it? Well, you and I might guestimate it as being 12 feet long.  But if it was forwarded with the caption "OMG 28 foot alligator!" well to Old People it's a damn 28 foot alligator, and the picture is proof.

Lately she's been sending emails with the origins of sayings... like "Houses had thatched roofs –– thick with straw piled high and with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs." " Really? Come on!

These are the people in our country that watch the talking heads on TV and believe every word they say .

ETA: Here is the latest example: http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.asp
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
next, she will send you an alarming E-mail, about how they are going to mandate expiring ammo!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Get off my lawn.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
tag for pissed off old people reactions
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If you grew up riding around in a wagon being pulled by horses and now it's nothing out of the ordinary to blast people into space then you'd probably believe everything too. Leave them alone, they're old.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I definitely love my grandparents, but damn if I don't think "You believe this????" every time I get an email.... Will we be that way when we're old??
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you send your poor old granny a link to snopes and teach her how to use it?  If it weren't for her you wouldn't be here, sonny.  You'll be old too someday.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as they are at home on their computer and not out driving, I am happy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will we be that way when we're old??

Yes. You'll have no idea what the hell your grandkids are talking about and you'll believe anything anybody tells you. I'm already running into this with my kids when I hear then talking about Pokemon. It's like they're speaking a fucking foreign language.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad fell for the paypal phising scam email a few years ago.

He passed last month, we have a collection agency now wanting the $2000 bill, willing to settle for 50%.

Our lawyer said not to pay anything for now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
americans are gullible.  not just the elderly
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the old Austrailian soldier being interviewed by the female reporter one today. This shit never dies.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Old relatives rock!  Right now, I seem to be getting all the old, verified by Snopes, spam from around 9/11.
My all time favorites are the one from the Senator (totally never existed) from Ohio proposing an email tax, and
the one asking you to forward emails for Disney/Microsoft/Whatever flavor of the week for a guaranteed $1000.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why don't you send your poor old granny a link to snopes and teach her how to use it?  If it weren't for her you wouldn't be here, sonny.  You'll be old too someday.

When she first started emailing us (it's not just me, it's the whole extended family) we started replying with a link to snopes.  Her reply was always "Ooops - better safe than sorry!".  Then after a while it died down, now it's back with a vengance.  I'm not sure whether to leave her in the dark, or shatter her world by letting her know all these "facts" she's letting everybody in on are not facts at all!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. You'll have no idea what the hell your grandkids are talking about and you'll believe anything anybody tells you. I'm already running into this with my kids when I hear then talking about Pokemon. It's like they're speaking a fucking foreign language.

Oh you mean this show? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su2NVKayZ8U
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I am all ready the old geezer at 45.

I have no cell phone, would be lost trying to text or surf the internet with one.

I am ok with that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Dude, I have people of all ages forwarding those stupid f'n emails to me. I've given up on sending out Snopes links.

Really sad thing is that half the ones involving politics end up on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Elderly people often get lonely.  Call her and talk about things she sends you.  Talk about the weather. Let her ramble about her arthritis.  Listen to her gossip about her neighbors.  This may be boring and unimportant to you, but you're gonna miss her when she's gone....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont let the Nigerian type scams get her
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
And nobody here believes any of the crazy shit said about Bush, or Obama, or Palin or McCain, or any other candidate during an election, Nobody here believes in ufos, bigfoot, or fema camps. There are no truthers or birthers here. Nope, not any.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Elderly people often get lonely.  Call her and talk about things she sends you.  Talk about the weather. Let her ramble about her arthritis.  Listen to her gossip about her neighbors.  This may be boring and unimportant to you, but you're gonna miss her when she's gone....

Well, this might make me sound like a jerk but I *do* miss my real grandmother, who passed away when I was young.  This is a step grandma, a marriage that gramps kind of rushed into because he was lonely.  She's OK... I probably won't miss her but I'm nice enough that I'll probably do what you suggest!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My 87 year old WWII vet uncle gets tons of "glurge" type emails.

I introduced him to Snopes about 5 years ago, and now he and I have a blast corresponding about what is or isn't factual.

He still teaches a course in metallurgy at the age of 87, and is as cool as can be.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not that they are gullible, it's that they come from a time when you could trust your neighbor/newspapers/politicians.

Reality hasn't fully set in yet. That's why the ruling class is able to get away with what it has.

God help them if the "old folks" see the light.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats not a old man thing.

My friend was into pokemon cards in his 20's i never understood that crap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, and kids are stupid!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When she first started emailing us (it's not just me, it's the whole extended family) we started replying with a link to snopes.  Her reply was always "Ooops - better safe than sorry!".  Then after a while it died down, now it's back with a vengance.  I'm not sure whether to leave her in the dark, or shatter her world by letting her know all these "facts" she's letting everybody in on are not facts at all!

Reply back with much more bizarre photoshopped pictures, like bunnies the size of building and such, for teh lulz

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#30]
We have passed through the era of grandparents being all knowing and smarter than their grand kids.

Knowledge is no longer passed down from your elders, but from technology; so the more connected and tech advanced you are, the smarter you are. You can learn anything on the internet. There's no need for dad to teach you anymore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We have passed through the era of grandparents being all knowing and smarter than their grand kids.

Knowledge is no longer passed down from your elders, but from technology; so the more connected and tech advanced you are, the smarter you are. You can learn anything on the internet. There's no need for dad to teach you anymore.

Information =/= Wisdom

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Information =/= Wisdom

Yep.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Perhaps Granny's trying to figure out how gullible you are?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Information =/= Wisdom

Wisdom is information with an opinion thrown in, and therefore not as valuable, unless it is the opinion you need at that moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Those emails do get obnoxious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
mine do the SAME DAMN THING!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Back in the day people evaluated knowledge on objectivity/credibility, cause we thought knowledge worked like that: find an authority and you were good. We still do it today, but only for undisputed mundane knowledge. If you need context or analysis, there's no reason to rely on trust when you can get a network of facts, ideas, and opinion; something very difficult before the net.
This kind of foolishness isn't because of age, or even stupidity - the next generation of 80+ probably won't be like that. It's simply the way the paper era worked. Their common sense hasn't caught up with the times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Good God, boy....we just elected Obama President....you believe it's just us old folks who are gulible?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]

I am so fucking sick of the incorrect use of apostrophes.  What the fuck?

It's not that hard.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Betcha those old people can wipe the floor with you in the fields of general arithmetic, spelling, grammar, punctuation ect..ect...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Information =/= Wisdom

Wisdom is information with an opinion thrown in, and therefore not as valuable, unless it is the opinion you need at that moment.

Wow, you never had a wise older family member, I feel bad for you.

How is your degree working out?

Going to take the world by storm, or bitch about all the old farts hogging all the jobs?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Good God, boy....we just elected Obama President....you believe it's just us old folks who are gulible?

Why are young people who think they know it all, such idiots?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#44]
She grew up in a time when people were honest. Im envious.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Betcha those old people can wipe the floor with you in the fields of general arithmetic, spelling, grammar, punctuation ect..ect...

Because they don't teach those in school anymore!

Quoted:

Get off my lawn.

that's so cute.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Next thing you know, there will be people thinking that Obama was born outside of the us, and that he is Islamic!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am all ready the old geezer at 45.

I have no cell phone, would be lost trying to text or surf the internet with one.

I am ok with that.

Hell I'm 49 and I just got a iPhone last June. My first smart phone ever. It is surprisingly easy to use. I don't even buy a news paper to bring to work anymore. I can read any newspaper in the country on it. Plus it gets pron.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am so fucking sick of the incorrect use of apostrophes.  What the fuck?

It's not that hard.

Its' not hard
But i'ts tricky on tarmac.....

Cheers
Taffy'
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Like, OMG...

(Look out for your grandparents, and quit ridiculing them to strangers on the internet.  It makes you look like a dick.)

... as if.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#50]
No lie I put my mom and dad on spam filter.  It was out of control the forwards they sent me were crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top