Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2002 5:50:48 PM EDT
alright ive read alot of the past threads on comps and I know alot of you guys are real into computers and work with them. Well I was going to buy a dell and would of if I hadnt went on the web site a day late and found out the $150 mail in rebate just stopped. well after reading some threads on dell Im afraid Im going to get stuck with A POS heck Ive read bad storys about all the comp companys. anyway what I need is a computer. I dont work on them I dont know much about them Iknow how to use it and thats enough for me I dont want to be stuck trying to figure out problems. I plan to spend around 7-8houndred on it. I just need it to surf net play  games and do my homework. Id like to get decent cards and fairly fast. I dont want to upgrade in a year it needs to last awhile
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert, but I just bought a new computer after my Gateway blew up on me.

Personally, I don't go for that 'off the shelf' Bestbuy/CompUSA types.  I've known too many people that had poor performing Compacs and HPs.

Anyway, since my Gateway crapped out on my, and their sales people (in the stores) were morons, I decided to go with a Dell.  So far so good.  

I spent a little extra and got a smoker, but you can spend under $900 to get a great setup.  

I've heard Dell and Gateway are in a price war right now, so the prices should be fair right now.  The Dells also seems to offer more bang for the buck with extras like a SBLive sound card and GeForce4 card, while the Gateways seem to come with the better deals on flat panel monitors if that's your preference.  Also when I got my computer I got a free digital camera/printer/or scanner, and 3 free DVDs.  Not much, but it's nice to get free stuff.  They might not be running that promo right now.  The Gateway offered NO freebies.

Again, I'm no expert, but I just went through all this, so I thought I could help.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Id get a Mac but a buddy of mine has one and useing it irritates the crap out of me that and every thing is avalible for windows machines better or worse. just closeing a window irritates me you have to move the mouse to one side to minimise another to closeyadda yadda yadda they irritate me n thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For those that suggested that he get a mac, the man said 7-8 hundred.  Since you cannot get a functional mac for that much, I wouldn't recommend it.

As for the guy who said "build your own" I would also recommend against that, being someone that often does build my own.  If you are looking for the kind of machine you can get for 7-8 hundred, there is no need to try to piece together your own system, and go through the hassle of getting your own software etc.  I would go with the Dell if I were in your position.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget off the rack.
Build your own and you can get screamin' power for WAYYY less money with higher quality parts of your choosing, not whatever Ching Tong Wang's House of Discount Computer Components happened to blow out to Dell for ten cents on the dollar this week.
Now, if you aren't Computer Savvy, You might need to pay someone to put it together the first time...Watch them and learn how to do it. Next time you'll do it yourself with no problemo. If you can work on an AR, you too can build a PC.
My system is an AMD XP1900+, 1.0 Gb of DDR Memory, GeForce 3 Ti500 Vidcard, 40XCDRW, DVD Rom, etc...for Under a Grand.
The downside is, no warranty, at least on the system, but each component is warranted.
IMNSHO, Rolling your own PC is the only way to go.
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Pit
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Build your own.  Go to [url]www.PcMech.com[/url] to learn how.  If you can build an AR you can build a computer.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
alright ive read alot of the past threads on comps and I know alot of you guys are real into computers and work with them. Well I was going to buy a dell and would of if I hadnt went on the web site a day late and found out the $150 mail in rebate just stopped. well after reading some threads on dell Im afraid Im going to get stuck with A POS heck Ive read bad storys about all the comp companys. anyway what I need is a computer. I dont work on them I dont know much about them Iknow how to use it and thats enough for me I dont want to be stuck trying to figure out problems. I plan to spend around 7-8houndred on it. I just need it to surf net play  games and do my homework. Id like to get decent cards and fairly fast. I dont want to upgrade in a year it needs to last awhile
View Quote

did you ask a person at Dell if they would still honor the rebate?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Build your own.  Go to [url]www.PcMech.com[/url] to learn how.  If you can build an AR you can build a computer.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Thanks for the link, I'll keep that for future reference.  I considered building my own, but I was afraid I'd screw things up too bad...

As far as the Dells not being good gaming machines, they do come with the SBlive sound card and G4 cards, so I thought that was a good gaming setup...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, Dude, I am SOOOOO tempted to say it...but...I...will...not...say...it.
Ahhhh, ok, THAT demon is gone.[}:D]

I suggest you FIRST decide on the system requirements you have, then check ALL the MAJOR brand names and find the system that fits your wish list and go for the cheapest one. All the major brands have good warranties. I have dealt with Dell and Gateway for warranty work with pleasant results. It helps that I can 'over tech' the 1st tier support, but less geeky friends and family have been happy with both companies. Dell replaced my father-in-laws laptop screen WHILE he was on vacation in FL. The technician went to the Condo and fixed it ON site. Sweet job.

That's my buck twenty-five spiel.

Edited to say: Check the refurb pages on the major brands...most of these are just returns...call and ask them.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought of building my own but Im thinking not I just want to use I I wouldnt even know where to start buying parts to make a system. I was thinking maby mail order or Costco carrys HP but I dunno Im thinking I could probly get more comp for the same money buying direct?

Ok now I need to ask a favor Ok Im looking at Dells condidering the 4500 desktop or 4500S desktop For the most part I dont know much about what Im reading in the features section. could someone explain to me what the 4500 has that makes it worth the extra $ is it worth it?[url]http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm[/url]
thanks
OregonShooter
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Custom built.

Since you are in Oregon, go with PC Club.

[url]http://www.pcclub.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had Very good service and results from IBuyPower. The last few machines I've bought have come from there (6 in the past year or so). Good prices on quality machines, customizable and come configured.

[url]www.ibuypower.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have built my own and I have owned two Dells.  The warranty Dell provides is wonderful.

Just get a DELL and save the hassle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Mt experience with Dell- After waiting to speak with their "award winning" technical support for up to 45 minutes( before I got disgusted and hung up), you may get lucky and actually speak to a person who uses english as their native language.  In any case once you state your problem you will either be put on hold indefinitely while the "award winning" technical support person tries to find the answer(I swear they're just bs-ing with their buddies while you wait because they can almost never, in my experience, solve your problem without asking you to delete your entire operating system, or they just disconnect you so they don't have to deal with you at all!  If you call back and attempt to speak to the same person again forget it - there's no way they can transfer you to that person so you have to go through the same song and dance again.  I've gotten so frustrated that I don't even bother calling them anymore, not because the computer is problem free - on the contrary, I just rely on friends but I don't enjoy all of the computers capability because I have no confidence that Dell will be any help when the problems occur.  Anyway, end of rant - just my opinion and my experience with Dell.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
...not whatever Ching Tong Wang's House of Discount Computer Components happened to blow out
View Quote

If ask around, you might find that you have a local "Ching Tong" that is a good place to buy from.  There are a couple of local shops near me that do sell low-end junk, but the price is right and the service is much, much better than someone like a Dell or Gateway.  The first time I waited on Dell, it took them almost 60 weeks (yes, over a year!) to send someone out to look at a $15,000 server.  We had 24 of them, and one had hard drives that didn't spin and another wouldn't even POST.  My recent experience with 24 workstations was that three didn't work, was "so what" from Dell.  About 18 months later, they finally replaced the three machines with [i]different[/i] models that were beat-up lease returns.  Their local service center is literally someone's garage, and you have to catch the guy at home to get him to fill-out the paperwork for Dell's onsite (yeah right) service.  We didn't get auth keys for Windows, so we wasted more money buying copies of Windows for each.  With a local shop, while they don't use great parts, you can bring the computer into their shop and twist their arms until they fix it.  You can get in their face.   You can't do that with someone like Dell.  You're just a voice on the phone, and they just don't care.  Since the bad Dell et al. experience, I've built all of the computers for every employer I've had.  They work much better, are cheaper, and I can make all of them exactly the same.  The problem is the time it takes and shipping charges add-up quickly.z
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
OregonShooter;
Several people here have recommended that you build your own PC. That is certainly a viable option. It isn't as hard as it seems.
For some [i]real good information [/i] checkout the fantastic site at MaximumPC.
[url]http://www.maximumpc.com/index.html[/url]
They even have an online article right now to help you build your own Dream Machine! Even if you don't, you will learn a lot about what to look for!

Should you decide to buy a custom rig, you need to look no further than Alienware Corp.  [url]http://www.alienware.com/main/gaming_main.asp[/url]
Remember - Gaming is what pushes the computing envelope these days. And demanding gamers have been satisfied with Alienware because they are dedicated to producing [u]the best pixel-pumping rigs around.[/u]

As for the Mac's, [%|] they just can't keep up with the PC world any longer. Ppl who buy Mac's just do it because they've got to be different  .  . even if it costs [i]more [/i] money for [b]less[/b] performance!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
get an iMac
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Thanks for the link, I'll keep that for future reference.  I considered building my own, but I was afraid I'd screw things up too bad...

As far as the Dells not being good gaming machines, they do come with the SBlive sound card and G4 cards, so I thought that was a good gaming setup...
View Quote

This one is a very good guide too, and recently updated: [url]http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell, I'll [b]build[/b] you one for less than what you could get anywhere else.  If you have a friend who's into that sorta stuff, then here's the setup (shipping included):

-AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53Ghz
(Comparable to Pentium 4 1.8) - [b]$85[/b]

-Abit AT7-MAX Motherboard, ATA/133,
RAID 0/1/0+1, 5.1 Audio (analog and
digital optical out), 10/100 LAN,
6 USB ports - [b]$150[/b]

-Corsair 256MB PC2400 DDR-SDRAM,
with HeatSpreader (heatsinks) - [b]$60[/b]

-ThermalTake Volcano 7 CPU Heatsink/Fan
Cooler - model A1124 - [b]$20[/b]

-Radeon 8500 64MB DDR - [b]$100[/b]

-Samsung 16X DVD-ROM (48x CD-ROM) Internal
EIDE w/ Software Decoder - [b]$40[/b]

-Samsung 16X10X40 Internal EIDE
CD-RW Drive w/ Burning Software - [b]$60[/b]

-Western Digital "Special Edition" ATA/100
80GB 7200RPM 8MB Buffer HDD - [b]$120[/b]

-Teac 1.44Mb Internal Floppy Drive - [b]$10[/b]

-Creative 56K Modem Blaster PCI
V.92 Data/Voice/Fax - [b]$25[/b]

-Enlight EN-72500AZ ATX Case, 300W Power,
7Bay (4 5.25", 2 3.5", 1 Internal 3.5") - [b]$65[/b]

-Logitech "Cordless Freedom" Wireless Keyboard
and Mouse.  USB Interface - [b]$50[/b]

(Optional)
Windows XP Home Edition - [b]$80[/b]
Dell 17" Monitor - [b]$150[/b]
Harmon/Kardon 3-piece speakers [b]$80[/b]

The Total?  [b]$785[/b]...and that's for a speed demon.  Want a fast computer like this, but don't need the fancy all-USB/Dolby 5.1 motherboard, the CD-Burner, or the giant 80GB Hard Drive?  You're still only looking at [b]$630-ish[/b].  NOBODY will build you a QUALITY system like this within 100 bucks, and FEW do it within 200.

I've been building systems for quite a while now...my total for friends, family (and myself [:)]) comes to about 9 systems.  I can attest to the quality of the parts listed above.  My motto is this:  spend an extra 100 bucks to get high and/or the highest quality equipment, and you won't have ANY problems.

Homebuild, my man.  It's the only way to fly [8D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Note to self:  I really need to start up a computer building business.  The Jew is tired of being broke.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought of building my own but Im thinking not I just want to use I I wouldnt even know where to start buying parts to make a system. I was thinking maby mail order or Costco carrys HP but I dunno Im thinking I could probly get more comp for the same money buying direct?

Ok now I need to ask a favor Ok Im looking at Dells condidering the 4500 desktop or 4500S desktop For the most part I dont know much about what Im reading in the features section. could someone explain to me what the 4500 has that makes it worth the extra $ is it worth it?[url]http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm[/url]
thanks
OregonShooter
View Quote

The 4500 base model CPU is a P4 1.8GHz
The 4500S base model CPU is a Celeron 1.7GHz
For the hundred dollars more I would go with the 4500.  Has a better CPU, video card, and it says it will give you a dvd-drive.  I am not a big fan of the video/sound chips of either model but if you don't play games they will probably be ok.   For the price I too would have a custom PC built.  You could get within the price of the Dells.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at the 4500 and the 4500S in the pictures.  the 4500S is a Slim case.  You are SOL as far as expansion ports:

4500                    4500S
4 PCI slots                2 PCI slots
Advanced Graphics (AGP)    Integrated video (no-AGP)
2 5.25 bays                1 5.25 bay

You may not need the AGP slot or the extra PCI slots, but if you *do* need them you will be screwed.  You can't just pop out and drop a new  board in that chassis, the chassis on those boxes are built around the motherboard.

If you are not going to build a homebrew machine (I am typing this from a homebrew linux box) get the 4500 rather than the 4500S.  The 'S' stands for Sucker.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For those that suggested that he get a mac, the man said 7-8 hundred.  Since you cannot get a functional mac for that much, I wouldn't recommend it.
View Quote

Sure you can. you can get an iMac G3 for that much. You can get older Macs that will last a long time.

Quoted:
As for the Mac's, [%|] they just can't keep up with the PC world any longer.
View Quote

Hahaha. I think the PC world is still trying to catch up to the Mac.

Ppl who buy Mac's just do it because they've got to be different  .  . even if it costs [i]more [/i] money for [b]less[/b] performance!
View Quote

Hmm, I got my Mac because it is a better machine, and it WORKS. And I have had very little problems with it. With OSX, it rocks!

OreganShooter, it is time you tried a real OS: Mac OS X. Your complaints are no longer valid. Anything you want to do on a PC you can do on a Mac, better, easier, and without the hassle.

I'm a lowly poor college student, but I spent $1800 for my iBook. If you have pretty good credit(I didn't have a whole lot when I got my iBook), goto [url=http://www.macmall.com]MacMall[/url] And look for their easy payment plan. They'll set you up with for a loan computer. You can take that 700 you have and put it toward that. Interest isn't bad either. 19.99%. About $70 a month.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#26]
DUDE, get the Dell

[:)>]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DUDE, get the Dell

[:)>]
View Quote

Yep!...Get a Dell!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Do not buy a DEll, if you like Firearms, because they don't.  The president of the Pistols' guild ordered a new tricked out Dell laptop a few months back.  They cancelled his order, because the name of his company was Combat Handguns, Inc.  They cancelled the order, because they said it was standard anti-terrorist protocol in Dell now.  I'll see if I can find the forum this was on.  It was proof enough that my boss bought all new Gateways.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do not buy a DEll, if you like Firearms, because they don't.  The president of the Pistols' guild ordered a new tricked out Dell laptop a few months back.  They cancelled his order, because the name of his company was Combat Handguns, Inc.  They cancelled the order, because they said it was standard anti-terrorist protocol in Dell now.  I'll see if I can find the forum this was on.  It was proof enough that my boss bought all new Gateways.
View Quote
Didn't we go through this?  They dropped the ball.  They acknowledged they dropped the ball.  They apologized for dropping the ball.  They offered a new laptop [i]free[/i] because they fvcked up.

I think they exonerated themselves.  My 2¢.

I'd love to build my own machine, but when you do that you don't get a software bundle.  That alone, IMO, is worth the price difference.  Software ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Its good to see that people forgive so easy.  I personally feel that if Dell did it once they probably have a bunch of liberal, antigun freaks working for them, so their hearts are probably not in the right place when it comes to firearms.  My .02 cents
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Go back and find the thread.  The excuse was that the order was flagged by software because the business name included the word [i]Combat[/i] IIRC, and the order-entry personnel didn't follow up.  This does not mean someone actively discriminated because they're anti-gun a**holes.  I thought upper-managements response - including offering a free laptop in compensation - was fair.  I also thought that the stated position of "we build computers, we are not in the business of taking political stands" was appropriate.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Everyone have something against Compaq?  I have used them almost exclusively at work, and they are excellent.  My choice is Compaq anyday.

And no issue of firearms politics hanging over their heads...
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

View Quote

[url]www.newegg.com[/url]

get them to build you one. or order it in parts and do it yourself. its very easy. plug it together. and screw it in to secure it. boot it up and away you go.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Everyone have something against Compaq?  I have used them almost exclusively at work, and they are excellent.  My choice is Compaq anyday.

And no issue of firearms politics hanging over their heads...
View Quote
I will never, [b]ever[/b] purchase a Compaq, even though they're merging with HP.

Compaq makes a point of using non-standard hardware.  You want a new 3.5" floppy?  Buy it from Compaq, because an off-the-shelf unit from anywhere else won't fit.  And it takes a mounting kit [i]specific[/i] to your particular [i]model[/i].  

One of our office Compaqs failed one day.  What was wrong?  The keyboard was accidentally unplugged.  No big deal, plug it back in, right?  Wrong.  Power up this machine w/o a keyboard attached [i]and it blew an internal fuse[/i].  A fuse that was [i]soldered onto the motherboard[/i].[pissed]

Compaq is OK if you never plan to modify it [b]ever[/b].  But I hate their design philosphy with a passion.  I think it dates back to the fact that they were the first IBM clone, and they wanted to make sure no one could clone [i]them[/i].  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Just take it easy with the roll pin punches.  [;D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#38]
I work on computer too for a living as well as maintain our companies. There is nothing wrong with Dell. I would say they have alot fewer problems than other brands. We are also a UPS shipping center and I see more gateway parts returned than anything!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#40]
The guy I shoot with works for Intel, and I'll take his word for it when he says"Buy a Gateway, stay away from Dell". He claims Gateway is the best deal for the money on the market. I'm on a Dell right now at work, and I hate it. Yes, I've had to deal with Dell's CS. Wasn't purty. When the anti-gun Dell flap happened a few months ago, there was mention of a pro-gun computer company called "Super Dell", no relation to the Dell we all know, and I remember reading that the owner even gives discounts to CCW holders. I may be wrong, but when I go to buy a new computer for the business my GF and I are starting up, I'm gonna look into Super Dell.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#42]
[B]SCREW DELL[/B]! I recently purchase a high end desk top($$) rig from Dell and after 1/2 hour, the power supply shut down on me. No PSU, no coputer!

Next came the phone games. For some reason, EVERY PERSON I spoke with had a thick middle eastern accent and I had to repeat myself constantly. They also seemed to have fettish for parking me on hold for 10 mins. at a time.
I finaly spoke with a technician (middle eastern) and he said all he could do is send me a new power supply and I would have to install it myself.
Altough I'm more than capable of installing the supply myself, why in the hell would I want to do repair work on a computer that I got less than an hours worth of work out of.

After getting the telephone run around for TWO DAYS, I was told that they would not be responsible for the shipping charges (coming or going)if I returned the unit for exchange. So, I sent it back for a refund.

They've never sent a letter of appology or express the slightest bit of concern.
[B]Dude, You're gettin screwed![/B]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks to everyone who replyed that was alot more response than I expected. As to bulding a machine I do have a couple friends who are into that sort of thing I may get ahold of them. thanks jew for lineing up the list but that doesnt include a monitor keyboard and mouse which I really need to upgrade. Im currently running a NEC overclocked to 200Mh that is real slow And a reallly old ViewSonic 6E I dont even know how old it is.
thanks all
keep the advise coming Im going to try to make a decision in about a week
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As a guy that works on dell for a living...

DUDE DON"T BUY A DELL!! Sure they have good prompt service. And you will get to use it frequently. I would not give my exwife a dell pc. Email me if you want specifics as i don't want to get into them here.

My advise... Find a local mom and pop shop and buy one locally if you need support. If you are minimally technincally inclined build your own.

mike
View Quote

Of course you would not recommend a Dell.  You work on Dells for a living.  All of your dealings are w/ unhappy customers w/ broken Dell machines.  All you see is the bad side of Dell.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#45]
MAC's are the poorest and lamest excuse for a computer anyone has ever heard of. As an certified professional and extremely experienced user, go for the HP. Best computer line out there, along with fanatic support. A Compaq (even though HP and Compaq merged) will shit out on you. Not a good choice. An excellent choice would be the HP Pavilion 521n Desktop. Gives you excellent processor speed, great RAM numbers, for 749$
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Next came the phone games. For some reason, EVERY PERSON I spoke with had a thick middle eastern accent and I had to repeat myself constantly.
View Quote

That's because Dell has 2 call centers in India. The country. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
MAC's are the poorest and lamest excuse for a computer anyone has ever heard of. As an certified professional and extremely experienced user, go for the HP. Best computer line out there, along with fanatic support. A Compaq (even though HP and Compaq merged) will shit out on you. Not a good choice. An excellent choice would be the HP Pavilion 521n Desktop. Gives you excellent processor speed, great RAM numbers, for 749$
View Quote

Go for an HP?? Sorry, but I've gotta LMAO there. I had an HP a year or so back.. woah man, problem, after problem, after problem. Customer support? HORRIBLE. Ever sat on hold with a tech while they went and got coffee, for TEN minutes? THREE times?

The biggest POS I've ever owned. I sold it to my former boss for $700 (haha).

It was an 8656C, BTW.

I built I've since built my own, and love it (customer support is impeccible heheh).

However, if I was going to buy one outright, it would be Dell, possibly Gateway.

Get an AMD proccesser too..
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#48]
and in a lot of cases the individual parts have longer warranties than the full computer that places sell. for example most of the computer manufactures give a 1 year warranty, well my harddrives have 3 year warranties and my other components had at least 1 year if not more

Quoted:
The downside is, no warranty, at least on the system, but each component is warranted.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, I'll [b]build[/b] you one for less than what you could get anywhere else.  If you have a friend who's into that sorta stuff, then here's the setup (shipping included):

-Abit AT7-MAX Motherboard, ATA/133,
RAID 0/1/0+1, 5.1 Audio (analog and
digital optical out), 10/100 LAN,
6 USB ports - [b]$150[/b]
View Quote

where would you be getting these partsa at such a bargain price?  Is this from one location or did you gho on pricewatch and punch in partts to gsee what popped up?  Also why go with a mobo that has an older chipset?  why not a 266 or even the newer ones, (333 is it?)
View Quote

Yes, this is all PriceWatch.com (by far the best OEM distributer look-up website on the Internet).  Shipping prices all included, this comes out to be a killer system.

This motherboard [b]IS[/b] the newest chipset, the VIA-KT[b]333[/b].  With RAID 0/1/0+1, ATA/133 LAN, 6 USB1.1/FireWire, 5.1 Audio, Digital Optical Out, 4 DDR slots, 3 PCI slots (if you really need them), this baby is the best on the market right now.  Plus, there is a header for the Abit MediaXP (a 5.25" console that supplies 2 extra FireWire [USB 2.0] ports, Memory Stick/Card/Flash readers, remote control DVD playback via 5.1CH audio, etc).  For $150, it's worth the price you'd pay with PCI expansion cards for audio, Ethernet, etc.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#50]
OK after looking some more Ive got new questions...

How fast of a CD-ROM? I saw an emachine with a 48x and right next to it a HP with a 16x so how fast does it need to be? How bout a CD-RW?

Also whats the general concensus on Emachines???
I saw one today 1.3Ghz for $700.

And how much RAM? 128 or more?

And do You need DDR RAM or is SD ok?

any other suggestions on what components/speeds to look for?

thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top