Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:58 AM EST
I’m trying to make room in my garage this winter, and am thinking about putting my fishing boat outside. I would winterize it like I normally do, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do, or anything I should worry about storing it outside. It’s a 14’ aluminum hull, with a 25hp johnson outboard, and a galvanized trailer. I would put a cover on it, but other than that it would be exposed to the harsh MN winter (snow & COLD!). So would storing it outside be ok assuming it is properly winterized or will I end up with problems in the spring? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:36:18 AM EST
shrinkwrap the boat or cover it real well

safer to remove engine and store inside(since its fairly small)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:37:34 AM EST
As long as you winterize it and cover it it should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:44:40 AM EST
Your biggest concern should be that water can't get trapped somewhere,
freeze and expand and do damage. This includes water that may have got into your lower unit
through seals during use.

I keep three sailboats out all winter with no problem.

GM
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:46:56 AM EST
Drain the lower unit and refill. Water may get into the grease during the summer by the seals. Freezing will obviously cause damage to the casting, and it's best not to have water near the bearings anyway to prevent them from rusting.

Get all the water out of the cooling system. Some people drain it, some people run antifreeze through it. Antifreeze seems safer, not sure how to do it on an outboard though.

Fog the engine. My favorite engine fogger just sprays into the carb while it's running. Not really for any freeze protection, but good practice to keep the rings/cylinders lubed.

Other than that, you should be good to go. Run the carbs dry to prevent gas gumming. Toss the old gas in your truck with 25 gallons of fresh gas to dilute the oil.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:55:04 AM EST
Stretch a condom over the boat. Tie a knot in the open end of the condom.
Top Top