Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 11:13:06 PM EDT
Remember the competition? It was fall of 1990, and I was a Student Naval Aviator. I remember feeling a keen sense of disappointment when the YF-23 lost the competition, but can't seem to remember what the reason was. Wasn't the YF-23 even more stealthy, but lacked the manuverability?

Anyone got any pics? That was one of the coolest space-ship-looking airplanes to ever take to the skys.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It was pretty cool, they shouldve bought both, true ARFCOM fashion.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The YF-23 was a bit larger than the YF-22, some have speculated that it was a new stealth bomber test program in plain sight.  If they increased the size a bit, it would be a great bomber.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought that there were plans on turning the YF-23 into a bomber like the current A-6 Intruder?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons the YF-23 wasn't chosen was because of the stacked weapon bays. Apparently if one of the lower weapon bays malfunctioned, the missiles from the higher bays could not be used.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I would suspect politics factors into it in a large way.  They want to keep competition going (not just one supplier), so they look at the health of the various companies as well to ensure they will survive.  From what I have gathered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top