Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:07:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the turn signal flasher way up under the dash, also check the fuse box in the engine compartment.  Electrical problems are charged by the hour and the tech gets a minimum of 2 hours. Anywhere from $75.00 to $150.00 an hour. My son is a mechanic and he says electrical problems are the hardest to find.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like she is out of blinker fluid

Seriously... check for voltage/ current if you have a multimeter, if that's the case start looking for a wire that has become stripped and is grounding out somewhere.

IANAM but I have had similar problems in the past with other cars.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Doubt seriously that it is a problem with the flasher. My guess is a bad ground or an open wire. Look at the harness in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to be that if the tail lights weren't working the dash lights wouldn't either. I don't know if it was designed that way on purpose to let you know something was wrong or just coincedence. If its tail lights and flashers it could be a dual filiment bulb out or the flasher unit. Listen for the flasher to click. If it clicks then it's working.

Didn't we have this topic last week?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
in the repair manual the flasher is located  on a bracket above the brake pedal
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Check continuity of the fuses with a meter.  I have seen more than one that looked good, but was blown.

Plus, the circuits you say are down all operate from the switch assembly on the steering column. After the fuse check, I would look at that assembly real hard.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The wife's damn car just gave me it's first problem.  She tells me that the blinkers are no longer working, then someone tells her the tail lights aren't working either.  The back up and marker lights are working.

I figured it would be something easy, such as a fuse.  They looked fine, as did the bulbs.  Then I went to check the blinker box, but I can't find the damn thing, and the manual makes no reference to it.  Do they even use blinker boxes in cars anymore?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, it's a Chevy Cavilier, 1996, 2.2ltr.

You have a bulb problem, and it might not be visible...

Get a multitester, and check the bulbs for continuity...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Honda
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Many times when there are multiple problems involving the lights you will find them to be related to a faulty multifunction switch......
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Turn signal switch in the column does NOT affect TAIL lights, only STOP & TURN.

There is a multi function switch assembly that chevy uses that does allow one assembly to affect tail lights and stop&turn as well.

Not only that, but the damn washer/wiper, cruise and high beam H/L switch are also co-located there as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turn signal switch in the column does NOT affect TAIL lights, only STOP & TURN.

There is a multi function switch assembly that chevy uses that does allow one assembly to affect tail lights and stop&turn as well.

Not only that, but the damn washer/wiper, cruise and high beam H/L switch are also co-located there as well.

Amen AR-Wrench.

Not a bulb problem when all rear bulbs don't work.

I'm on the road and don't have access to the wiring diagram.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If by tail lights you mean Brake lights I'd say it sounds like a turn signal switch , not that uncommon on a GM of that age .  Only problem is that its a multi function and you cant replace one side .
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#17]
you are getting somewhere, electrical problems are a proccess of elimination. inspect the 4 way switch plug where it plugs into the vehicle harness. over time vibration, oxidation and overcurrent can cause these problems. schematic would help. Sorry, I'm better at finding than explaining.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
test orange lead at brake pedal switch for +12V, if it's good, Check the white wire at the brake pedal switch it should go +12V when pedal is pressed, if it does, test again at rear brake lamp assembly, if you have it testing at the lamp, do a continuity test from the outside of the bulb to chassis ground to see if there is indeed ground present, if not you will need the schematic to determine where the groung point is, or just ghetto-rig your own ground.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Check the hi low beam switch  should be under  or around the steering column i had the same problem on an oldsmobile it was the hi low beam switch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK, this car is on it's last ropes.

I just went and checked everything again.
Still, no blinkers, no brake lights.

Then I checked the four way flasher, and they worked.
Immediately the blinkers and tail lights started to work again.....

I'm thinking there is something in the 4 way switch that might be throwing it off.

DING DING DING, I bet you got a bad ground. Wait till you turn on the radio and the Winshield wiper fluid starts pooring out. Happened to me on a '94 Oldsmobile Bravada.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#22]
The emergency flashers are on a different flasher unit than the blinkers.

I'm betting on the turnsignal flasher being bad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#23]
bad bulbs usually give you a very fast blink due to the lowered resistance in the circuit
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#24]
+1 for bad flasher unit.  They look just like a little round drum, about 1" high and 1" wide.  They plug right in and wear out all the time on GM cars.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top