Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2004 6:09:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 6:26:27 AM EST by Wave]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:11:32 AM EST
Generals, it is what it came with. When it comes time to replacement it will be Michealin and nothing else.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:11:50 AM EST
Both should be banned!

I've always had good luck with Goodrich. I can't imagine switching to Bridgestone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:12:44 AM EST
Michealin are the best. They come factory on my Range Rover and still have 90% left on them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:14:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:14:42 AM EST
I got those big, black, donut-shaped thingies, with a white ring around the inner diameter. Five of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:15:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 6:16:52 AM EST by arowneragain]
Michelin LTX(?)

Only way to go, 30K miles and wearing like a champ. I wish they weren't made by the fr..fre..you know.

ETA:
1) I've had many sets of michelins, and been pleased with them all.
2) I've got $.50 that says this thread turns into a michelin-bashing before page 2, unless this works as a preemptive strike.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:15:24 AM EST
On my 4wd Chevy puckup I have GoodYear Wrangler ATS Great tires

On my 2wd pickup I have GoodYear Forteras Great tires

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:16:41 AM EST
I've ran Bridgestone Desert Duelers for the last 20 or so years are very happy with their performance. I got over 60,000 miles per set.

To me, Goodrich is overpriced.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:16:46 AM EST
B.F. GOODRICH. best tires ever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:18:47 AM EST
BF Goodrich All/Terrains are excellent tires for everyday driving or offroad use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:20:15 AM EST
Gave up on Wranglers. Though they had the best traction of any tire I've used they just flat wore out way too fast.

Using Michealin now and pleased with both the wear and traction.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:20:24 AM EST
I have the same set of BFG rugged trails on my tacoma. They seem to grip well but they are not wearing very well. However they are a lot better than the Goodyear Wranglers that I had on my silverado. Those things wore really bad and were shit in the mud. Personally I will stick with the BFG's on the tacoma but I will probably get the AT's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:23:26 AM EST

BF Goodrich T/A KO

Works great on my '02 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4. Quite on the highway, OK in mud, not a pure off road tire by any means but great for what I do and where I go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:30:17 AM EST
Nokian Vatiiva's.......came with the truck when I bought it used. Pretty good tire. Quiet on the HWY, but seem to have fairly good footing on light trails.

The Rugged Trails are OK, but if you encounter mud at all they suck. They are not "self cleaning" and they gum up, essentially becoming slicks.

If I were to get something more aggressive I would look for a more open tread design....the trade off will be road noise, loss of ride comfort, and probably a lower treadwear rating.

Not sure what my replacements will be, but I want something bigger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:33:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:
I have the same set of BFG rugged trails on my tacoma. They seem to grip well but they are not wearing very well. However they are a lot better than the Goodyear Wranglers that I had on my silverado. Those things wore really bad and were shit in the mud. Personally I will stick with the BFG's on the tacoma but I will probably get the AT's.

Got those on my Taco 4x4 as well. I concur. Mine are not wearing that great either, but they seem to grip and handle pretty good.

When it comes time to replace them, there's only one choice for me...BFG AT KO. Excellent tires. Not cheap, but worth the money IMHO.

Wave, I'd give 'em a serious look if you want a good balance between an on-road and offroad/winter tire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:33:09 AM EST
Another vote for the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's. I've had them on three trucks and have never had a complaint about them on or off road.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:35:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:36:23 AM EST
Maybe I'm the cheap SOB here..... I have a set of allweather Coopers on my F150 that I've gotten great wear out of.

Had to go abt 45min to get them up near Winchester, but the drive was worth the hassle, as the f#*$($*# Merchant's Tire
wanted $130/ea for them. DAMN! Screw that.... they work great on & offroad, though I don't do much offroad in it....
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:37:43 AM EST
I have two:

1999 4Runner SR5 with Michelin XC LT4s and a 1994 GMC K1500 with Cooper Discoverer ATs.

I'm impressed with the Coopers, and not impressed with the Michelins. The Coopers ride well, and make very little noise for an all terrain tire. The Michelins don't seem to ride that well, and seem to go out of balance quickly, and my biggest gripe isn't really their fault. The tread gaps are the perfect size to capture small gravel (like in my long driveway). Thus, every time I pull out of my driveway I get about 10 strong rock hits under the vehicle. The Coopers don't do this because the gaps are too large to grab the gravel.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:40:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By Wave:
wow, a couple of answers so far and some obvious brand loyalty. why is that?

Wave, Mich tires use a 7 piece segmented molding process. Look at their tires and you will not see a line going down the center like most tires (2 piece molding process). This results in a rounder tire. The rounder a tire is the longer it last and the better it performs.

Next, look at the sipes on a Mich tire, those are the little cuts within the tire treads blocks. Those cuts go all the way down to the wear line on Mich tires, but not on most other tire makers.

What those little cuts do is allow the tires tread blocks to move and flex slighty thus helping with corning, braking and ect. SInce these lines go all the way down the tire will basically perform the same way at 1/2 tread life as it does at full tread life. This is not true for other tire makers since once that part of the tread is go there will be less flex of the tread block.

There is more...but it would take me forever to explain.

BTW, BFGoodrich is owned by Mich and is a very good medium ranged priced tire.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:41:14 AM EST
another vote for michelin LTX's

got a set of 265/75R 16s on my truck and it's my third set, none of which have ever been changed with under 60,000 miles on them and i live down a caliche driveway too

i've seen them, although not on my truck, go 80,000 miles and still have tread left
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:41:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 6:43:15 AM EST by sherm8404]

I'm looking to replace them shortly with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's (Off Road All Terrain)

You going off roading?

Or is the sandy parking lot at Calverton as rough as it's gonna get?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:43:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:43:06 AM EST
BTW, the more aggreesive the tread the louder the interior noise will be.

And if you buy Mich, you will probably never ever have to buy another set of tires.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:45:22 AM EST
I've run bridgestone duelers (on/off road) on my trucks for 11 years. Just got a new ford ranger last year......as soon as these tires are done I'll be putting Bridgestones on...great for snow and off road and still a good ride on the highway..I've been averaging 30k out of them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:46:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:46:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:47:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By DPeacher:

BF Goodrich T/A KO

Works great on my '02 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4. Quite on the highway, OK in mud, not a pure off road tire by any means but great for what I do and where I go.

I agree. I have a set of BFG AT's on my '04 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 and I love them. The tread pattern is aggressive enough that you will have really good traction off-road, but still get a good ride on-road. Plus, they are an extremely popular style, so they are easy to find and you can usually get a good deal on them. Every bit as good a tire as Goodyears or Michelins, but less expensive for a comparable tire.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:07:55 AM EST
BFGs are the way to go. If you can't afford them, check into ProComp. They are good tires also. Sometimes they run a "buy three get one free" sale.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:24:18 AM EST
Bridgstone is the ONLY tire to buy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:03:14 AM EST
33-12.50-16.5 Denman GroundHawgs. Excellent offroad capabilities and amazing street life, for a mud tire. Puts Swampers to shame.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:08:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 8:08:36 AM EST by CavVet]
Im sure the French thank you all for your money support.

If this group doesnt buy American, nobody will.

And there goes our manufacturing base.....And our jobs.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:17:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By 223-Buckaroo:

www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/all_terrain_large.jpg

BF Goodrich T/A KO

I agree. I have a set of BFG AT's on my '04 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 4x4 and I love them. The tread pattern is aggressive enough that you will have really good traction off-road, but still get a good ride on-road. Plus, they are an extremely popular style, so they are easy to find and you can usually get a good deal on them. Every bit as good a tire as Goodyears or Michelins, but less expensive for a comparable tire.

The local guys are all running BFG A/Ts, and we have them on the Jeep and the Blazer. Every bit as good in snow as a mud& snow tire, excellent on the highway, and quite good off-road. They even work fairly well in mud, which is a surprise. The only problem with them is they need rebalancing on a regular basis. A/Ts are all that I will buy. Ops
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:22:51 AM EST
cooper discoverer stt
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:24:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:

When they start to make something useful, we will.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:26:53 AM EST
Toss in a couple more votes for the BFG A/T KOs. I've run them on my 94 GMC K2500 Suburban for years and just put a set on my nephew's 93 Jeep Cherokee. EXCELLENT general purpose tire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:29:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 8:30:07 AM EST by Boomer]

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Interesting that you refer to Americans as a third party rather than include yourself in it. Guess that goes a long ways in helping us to understand your poor attitude towards America and Americans.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:42:14 AM EST

I've driven past the Michelin manufacturing plant on I-35 in OKLAHOMA. I bet you can't find a Frenchman within 100 miles of there, but you will probably find a few thousand Okies making a good paycheck under that roof...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:46:29 AM EST
Uniroyal Laredo's 31x10.5 R15
Been using em on my 86 1/2 ton Chevy......when a silverado was still an options package
Good all season tread snow mud sand dirt water......
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:00:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:48:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 9:50:17 AM EST by Sweep]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:54:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 10:14:28 AM EST by Sweep]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:56:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:59:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Next, look at the sipes on a Mich tire, those are the little cuts within the tire treads blocks. Those cuts go all the way down to the wear line on Mich tires, but not on most other tire makers.

What those little cuts do is allow the tires tread blocks to move and flex slighty thus helping with corning, braking and ect. SInce these lines go all the way down the tire will basically perform the same way at 1/2 tread life as it does at full tread life. This is not true for other tire makers since once that part of the tread is go there will be less flex of the tread block.
SGtar15

siping also causes the tire to wear faster. ymmv (couldn't resist)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:59:02 AM EST
We replaced Firestones with Michelins on our 98 Explorer. Well, Ford did after the Firestone recall. They sold me right away. They rode noticeably better. They were smoother and made less noise. They hold the corners great and work just as well in the rain. I had them out in the Colorado mud and got stuck. It was not the tires fault. They are on/off road tires and were not made for the country we were in. The Blazer with me went down to the axles and had to be towed out. With just a little rocking, the Explorer came right out. I won't buy anything else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:01:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By danonly:

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

SGtar15

siping also causes the tire to wear faster. ymmv (couldn't resist)

That would explain why the LTX's go 80,000 miles...no, wait, no it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:15:04 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:16:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 10:26:32 AM EST by SHIVAN]

Originally Posted By Boomer:

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Interesting that you refer to Americans as a third party rather than include yourself in it. Guess that goes a long ways in helping us to understand your poor attitude towards America and Americans.

Fuck off.......you don't know me, OR my feeling about America or Americans.

I've seen the fruits of the recent American manufacturing and marketing "genius". All Buicks, Pontiac Aztec's, Pontiac Grand Ams, Chrysler selling out to Daimler, etc etc ad nausem.

Firestone/Bridgestone becoming the laughing stock of the marketplace for their Ford Explorer tiring debacle...killing a decades long AMERICAN bond in the global marketplace.

THEY = American businesses {hint hint - I am not a member of the American Tire business ergo THEY}

WE = General public who works hard for out money and refuse to buy INFERIOR goods at astronomical prices {i.e. OVERHYPED Goodyear products, self destructing Firestone products, etc}

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:21:35 AM EST

wow, a couple of answers so far and some obvious brand loyalty. why is that?

I personally feel that the BF Goodrich's that came on my truck were just average this past winter season and am looking for a more aggressive tread.

There are more aggressive tread patterns available in the BFG line, check them out.

I've used BFG's off and on for years, work great on the high desert / fire roads I get to. But spending 99% of mileage ON-pavement, I feel the softer compound that gives them some of their off-road performance just doesn't stand up well enough to highway driving.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:28:11 AM EST

I've driven past the Michelin manufacturing plant on I-35 in OKLAHOMA. I bet you can't find a Frenchman within 100 miles of there, but you will probably find a few thousand Okies making a good paycheck under that roof...

It's useless to use logic....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top