Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:37:25 PM EDT
Was talking to one of the techs up here at work, and he uses FireFox on his work PC, which is perfectly ok, but the guy who handles the network security hates him cause he cant track FF.... Anyone heard this?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:39:06 PM EDT
FF stores its info in another file location and therefore the security software that they probably use cannot or isn't written to get into ff. This is why you can use ff and ie at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:39:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:
FF stores its info in another file location and therefore the security software that they probably use cannot or isn't written to get into ff. This is why you can use ff and ie at the same time.

Interesting
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:45:10 PM EDT by Penguin_101]

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Interesting

If you look in your program files personal files under application data you will see what I mean. Look at ie under Microsoft and then FF should have a file. These will both have some sort of history and cookies file.

BTW, nothing keeps him from looking at the file itself if he goes up to your computer.

ETA2: It should record it while going through the firewall also so he just needs to look at that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:42:09 PM EDT

Was talking to one of the techs up here at work, and he uses FireFox on his work PC, which is perfectly ok, but the guy who handles the network security hates him cause he cant track FF.... Anyone heard this?

They must be using some sort of IE plug-in or maybe Group Policy has something to do with it? They should just look at the actual traffic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:44:37 PM EDT
Not exactly sure what/how they do it. I dont use FF cause I hate it, but it perked my interest.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

They must be using some sort of IE plug-in or maybe Group Policy has something to do with it? They should just look at the actual traffic.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why are they looking at individual files on a workstation when they should be monitoring traffic through the firewall
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:46:09 PM EDT

We track everyone at the core and border Juniper routers...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT

Interesting

If you look in your program files personal files under application data you will see what I mean. Look at ie under Microsoft and then FF should have a file. These will both have some sort of history and cookies file.

BTW, nothing keeps him from looking at the file itself if he goes up to your computer.

ETA2: It should record it while going through the firewall also so he just needs to look at that.

ie and firefox store their data in seperate directories. why is this a surprise to you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:47:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubblehead597:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why are they looking at individual files on a workstation when they should be monitoring traffic through the firewall

There not looking on the PC. Sorry for not making that clear. Appears our "security" guy doesnt know what he is doing. Or we have purely crappy software. Which wouldnt suprise me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:48:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubblehead597:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why are they looking at individual files on a workstation when they should be monitoring traffic through the firewall hr

There not looking on the PC. Sorry for not making that clear. Appears our "security" guy doesnt know what he is doing. Or we have purely crappy software. Which wouldnt suprise me.

all they have to do is use halfway decent network administration software on each pc and they would be able to have a real time view of each screen + typed keys + admin level access to any and all files.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:51:11 PM EDT
ever tried to open or view a file, over a network.... that was downloaded to a computer using the firefox browser?

the problem is in windows AND in linux. the files either are NOT seen or will not open. firefox has issues
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 7:53:10 PM EDT by PeteCO]

Big surprise there. Incompetence and arrogance is a systemic fucking problem in IT departments these days. Probably 80% of the IT people I have run across are both arrogant AND collosally incompetent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:55:03 PM EDT
Of course it doesnt suprise me. The damn filter software (websense) is busted and nothing is being filtered. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:16 PM EDT

Big surprise there. Incompetence and arrogance is a systemic fucking problem in IT departments these days. Probably 80% of the IT people I have run across are both arrogant AND collosally incompetent.

I'm IT, but a programmer not a network guy. We just had a tech promoted to Sr. Network Admin even though he has no certifications at all. Their boss now over all of IT including programmers. When he's not walking the halls beating his chest about how great he is you can find him outside on a "smoke break". We have been told if we talk bad about the unqualified guy who got promoted we will be fired. Oh, did I mention he got a 50% raise to go with his promotion? Meanwhile anyone on the programming side of the building is lucky to get a 3% raise even if they move up to management. The guy that got promoted is buddy buddy with new head guy and now is a "protected" employee. They didn't even try to find someone qualified with certifications for the job. What does this have to do with the thread? Sounds like your IT guy is about as qualified as our new Sr. Network guy. Any network guy that can't track websites are accessed throught the companies firewall should be fired.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:22 PM EDT

Of course it doesnt suprise me. The damn filter software (websense) is busted and nothing is being filtered. LOL!!!

What is Websense?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jason99xj:

What is Websense?

Filter program to block sites by content, like games, adult content, and so on
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:17:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT by stator]
I use my own Thinkpad T40, stunnel out to my Squid proxy on the home DSL. None of this is company paid for. The network security people use the AD administrator account to come into your PC and read the cache, history, and other stuff. Best bet is to use your own and do not join the domain at work.

Hewlett-Packard employees were told to remove their firewall software and only use the company standard. It was blocking the snooping!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 8:23:59 PM EDT by MillerSHO]
The biggest problem is if they use basic tracking through MS stuff then ya he won't be able to track him.

He's probably mad that people are catching on to other browsers forcing him to have to really start locking his network down.

For example he'll have to start setting policies that force users not to be able to install software and now that will make installing software on the machines more steps then before.

This whole IM, webmail, other browsers is starting to force guys who were reluctant to move forward with alot of things to actually get off their asses(actually sit on them more).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:24:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stator:
I use my own Thinkpad T40, stunnel out to my Squid proxy on the home DSL. None of this is company paid for. The network security people use the AD administrator account to come into your PC and read the cache, history, and other stuff. Best bet is to use your own and do not join the domain at work.

Hewlett-Packard employees were told to remove their firewall software and only use the company standard. It was blocking the snooping!

That's because we don't want your damned typhoid mary of a computer on our network!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:25:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stator:

I use an encrypted remote desktop connection to a server I have running at home on DSL. Big graphics and anything moving really slows me down but other than it works for what I want it to do. Internet usage reports go out every once in awhile. I had the honors of being the #1 user at one point as I left my browser open and would come back and hit refresh, thus the log would show I spent 50% to 80% of the day on the net because the internet connection was never getting broken. It's strange how I managed to get all my work done plus some while surfing the net 80% of the time. So now I "fixed" my usage problem and rarely have any web activity logged.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:35:30 PM EDT
You can track anything that is not encrypted with network appliance devices that watch the wire. Firefox isn't magic. A lot of uptight security groups in companies like MS even though it is so full of holes you could drive a truck through it. Why? They have someone to blame - MS. They get patches which both keep them busy and employeed installing them and makes them feel needed. Also, Open Source, gives security guys the heebie jeebies since the code is in the public domain. It's irrational, but it's true.
Top Top