User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 2:46:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
an
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You've been [b]PUNK'D[/b]!!!!

See what all that love and brotherhood bullshit gets you??? Everyone walks all over you and then shits on the host country.
It happens becuse you let it happen.

The earth will inherit the meek.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what all that love and brotherhood bullshit gets you??? Everyone walks all over you and then shits on the host country.

View Quote

"I" let it happen?!?

Love and brotherhood....me?!?

Fuck you. [:D]
View Quote
 [rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
To the left, every religion [b]except[/b] Christianity is wonderful. There will eventually be a backlash. Things could get ugly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was under the assumption that modern Christmas is a combination of Christian and Pagan traditions.  The time of the year and using decorated trees are examples of the Pagan influence.  Celebrating the birth of Christ and giving to others is the Christian influence.  Wasn't Yule originally a Celtic tradition?  People liked to so much that when Christianity came along, they merged the 2 in order to please everyone as well as introduce the new religion?  I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I recall.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
shed A tear
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

"I" let it happen?!?

Love and brotherhood....me?!?

Fuck you. [:D]
View Quote

lol--< insert flippin' the bird smiley>

Not "you" specifically.

Unless your just now getting around to being offended. I'm saying the whole -unity/were all the same in god's eyes/liberal bs -is what got us into this position intially.

To late now. The genie's out of the bottle.
(plz note subtle symbolism)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To the left, every religion [b]except[/b] Christianity is wonderful. There will eventually be a backlash. Things could get ugly.
View Quote

and conversely, on the right...

The Taliban and Saudis are bad because they force you to follow Islam

but,

It's heritage when we make Christian holidays part of our public school system.  Any chance that a Jew, Jehovah's Witness, Muslim or atheist has to sing Christmas carols as part of their education doesn't seem to bother them a bit.

Now, before you go on a screaming hissy over the difference between the Taliban and a Christmas pageant, I already know the difference.  I pointing out that often  individuals of a religion are usually tolerant of other religions as long as it is the one they follow.

Flame on.

and no, I'm not an atheist or a liberal, so please move on from that thought.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the date for Xmas and Easter were set by the (western) church in 320 CE??
Remember that not everyone uses the same calender.

[url]http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/easter.html[/url]

"The New International Dictionary Of The Christian Church, by J.D. Douglas, 1974, page 322, gives this information about the Christian celebration called Easter:

EASTER. The celebration of Christ’s resurrection. Although the Scriptures make no provision for the observance of Easter as the day of resurrection, all the evidence suggests that the celebration of the death and resurrection of Christ began at a very early date in the history of the church, probably as early as the apostolic age. It would seem also that the Christians of the first century consciously sought to create a Christian parallel to the Jewish Passover, since the close relationship between the significance of that event in the O.T. and the crucifixion in the N.T. made a transformation of that Jewish feast into Easter both logical and easy.
After a.d. 100, Easter, Pentecost, and Epiphany became the final parts of the church year.

EASTER does not come from the Scriptures! This PAGAN CUSTOM has another source. As we have read: There was a transformation of the Jewish Feast (Passover) into Easter. Remember though, this was done by man ......"
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
an
View Quote

A American Holiday (present tense).

Example: You Are [b]A[/b] Dick.
View Quote

[size=2]INDEFINITE ARTICLE[/size=2]

[b]A / AN[/b]

Use 'a' with nouns starting with a consonant (letters that are not vowels),
'an' with nouns starting with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)

Examples:

[b]A[/b] boy
[b]An[/b] apple
[b]A[/b] car
[b]An[/b] orange
[b]A[/b] house
[b]An[/b] opera

NOTE:
An before an h mute - an hour, an honour.
A before u and eu when they sound like 'you': a european, a university, a unit

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
an
View Quote

View Quote

[size=2]INDEFINITE ARTICLE[/size=2]

[b]A / AN[/b]

Use 'a' with nouns starting with a consonant (letters that are not vowels),
'an' with nouns starting with a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)

Examples:

[b]A[/b] boy
[b]An[/b] apple
[b]A[/b] car
[b]An[/b] orange
[b]A[/b] house
[b]An[/b] opera

NOTE:
An before an h mute - an hour, an honour.
A before u and eu when they sound like 'you': a european, a university, a unit

View Quote

Except.... history, historical.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783228503.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/eslart.html[/url]

If the noun is modified by an adjective, the choice between a and an depends on the initial sound of the adjective that immedately follows the article:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
a European country (sounds like 'yer-o-pi-an,' i.e. begins with consonant 'y' sound)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
[i]all I want for Christmas is for everybody that doesn't like or believe in Christmas to,[/i]  

[size=6][red]KISS MY ASS[/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[i]all I want for Christmas is for everybody that doesn't like or believe in Christmas to,[/i]  

[size=6][red]KISS MY ASS[/red][/size=6]
View Quote

That's very Christian of you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you, Johnny.
I am just tired of the way things have become. It seems like everything I was raised on is now offending somebody.

For example:

"One nation, under God"

The Ten Comandments

"In God We Trust"

Prayer

or flying Old Glory in response to 9/11

and now, Christmas.

So, if my beliefs or flag offends anyone, and I'm not to blame, nor am I sorry for what I believe, all I can say is,
KISS MY ASS.

Get the picture, or are you one of the offended?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thank you, Johnny.
I am just tired of the way things have become. It seems like everything I was raised on is now offending somebody.

For example:

"One nation, under God"

View Quote

The line about god was added in the 40's or 50's.
I just don't care for how people tend to forget the 'real' history/origin of things and lie about it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the noun is modified by an adjective, the choice between a and an depends on the initial sound of the adjective that immedately follows the article:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
a European country (sounds like 'yer-o-pi-an,' i.e. begins with consonant 'y' sound)
View Quote

OK let's try this:

You are A asshole.

You are An asshole.

I believe both are correct given specific usage.
View Quote

Hey, I'm not an asshole [:)]. And the only place both would be acceptable would be in a trailer park!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thank you, Johnny.

For example:

"One nation, under God"

The Ten Comandments

"In God We Trust"

Prayer

or flying Old Glory in response to 9/11

and now, Christmas.

So, if my beliefs or flag offends anyone, and I'm not to blame, nor am I sorry for what I believe, all I can say is,
KISS MY ASS.

Get the picture, or are you one of the offended?
View Quote

No, I think you should have all of those things. I also don't think you should be able to push them on those that don't want it.

See my first post.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I know many atheist and agnostics who still celebrate Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know many atheist and agnostics who still celebrate Christmas.
View Quote

I know of a Jew that puts up and tree and hands out presents.  They do it on December 25th when everyone else does it.  They aren't Christians, they just enjoy having a tree and handing out gifts.

Sort of strange, but nobody is forcing them to do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
View Quote

OK let's try this:

You are A asshole.

You are An asshole.

View Quote

Not really.
"You are an asshole."  would be correct, whereas "You are a asshole." is not.

But, if you were to refer to SNorman as "...a pulsating, malignant asshole.", the indefinite article 'a' would be the correct choice since it points to the first adjective, 'pulsating', and not the noun directly.

Now, wasn't that simple?  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
View Quote

OK let's try this:

You are A asshole.

You are An asshole.

View Quote

No sir, what would be correct is:

You are a [b]flaming[/b] asshole

and

You are an asshole.

Dang, somebody beat me to it!

[banghead]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I got into this with a Jewish co-worker a week or so ago. He's one of those people who gets all shitzed up whenever ANYONE says "Merry Christmas" at work or if (God forbid) they actually post an email mentioning "Just in time for Christmas - bookstore having a sale".

Since we're state employees - he throws a conniption fit and starts posting all sorts of Supreme Court decisions that have nothing to do with merely [i]mentioning[/i] that Christmas is approaching.

My response to him (which fell on deaf ears) is the same as my response to anyone who has a problem with public/gov't recognition of "Christmas":

[size=4][b]IT'S A FEDERAL FUCKING HOLIDAY!!![/B][/size=4] [stick]

[b]It says [url=http://www.opm.gov/fedhol/2003.asp]right here[/url] - [b][size=3]"Christmas Day"[/b][/size=3]

Not "Hanukka"

Not "Kwanzaa"

Not "Ramadamadingdong"

It says [b][size=3]"Christmas Day"[/b][/size=3]

It's a FEDERALLY-RECOGNIZED holiday so cities should be able to celebrate it any fucking way the people want to just like any other FEDERALLY-RECOGNIZED holiday!!!

If they want to have a parade for Veteran's Day - no one's forcing you to march.

If they want to play the National Anthem and shoot fireworks for Independance Day - no one's forcing you to stand and salute.

If they want to hold a solemn vigil for Memorial Day - no one's forcing you to attend or hold a candle.

And if they want to put up a Nativity for Christmas - no one's forcing you to bow and pray  to baby Jesus.

So if you got a problem with that - write your Congressman fuckwad but leave us normal people alone!!! [chair]

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, since Mr. Aug is so filled with love for Christians this holiday season, I am going to call the main office in Salt Lake City and get the missionaries over to his house pronto. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow, since Mr. Aug is so filled with love for Christians this holiday season, I am going to call the main office in Salt Lake City and get the missionaries over to his house pronto. [:D]
View Quote

You might want to send the missionaries out with a backup team.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a broken egg
an unusual problem
View Quote

OK let's try this:

You are A asshole.

You are An asshole.

View Quote

Not really.
"You are an asshole."  would be correct, whereas "You are a asshole." is not.

But, if you were to refer to SNorman as "...a pulsating, malignant asshole.", the indefinite article 'a' would be the correct choice since it points to the first adjective, 'pulsating', and not the noun directly.

Now, wasn't that simple?  [:D]
View Quote

Yeah! Hey.... wait a minute... [:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Thank you, Johnny.

For example:

"One nation, under God"

View Quote

Or.....

[img]http://www.wikipedia.org/upload/0/00/Onenation.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#37]
You can't violate something that doesn't exist.

[url]http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
an
View Quote

View Quote

Present tense has nothing to do with it. "An" generally precedes words that start with a vowel ie AEIOU. "A" generally precedes words that start with a constanant.

Your example of "You are a dick." Is correct. However, if you chose to call him an asshole then it would be:"You are an asshole."

Oops posted this without reading the whole thread. I see "asshole" has already been specifically addressed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to send the missionaries out with a backup team.
View Quote

shouldn't that be ....You might want to send the missionaries out with [red]an[/red] backup team?[;D]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#41]
It's much better to have your panties in a bunch than a bunch in your panties.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top