Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 8:50:22 PM EDT
OKLAHOMA?

Anything I say beyond would get me banned.

I spent some of my younger years in Midwest City.  Dad was born in Davis.

www.newsok.com/xml/rss/1729493

State's oldest radio station switches to Spanish

By Mel Bracht
The Oklahoman

WKY-AM 930, Oklahoma’s first radio station, switched Monday to Spanish language programming.

The station dropped its news/talk format and began simulcasting Spanish station KINB-FM 105.3, also owned by Citadel Communications.

“We looked at our profile at KINB (La Indomable), and at the growing population for Latinos in Oklahoma City, and realized the success we could reach between our La Indomable listeners and our advertisers,” Citadel Oklahoma City operations manager Chris Baker said in an e-mail Monday.

“Merging KINB and WKY now gives us one of the biggest regional Mexican signals in the Southwest. Today, we received calls from listeners in Ada, Enid, and Chickasha, to name a few communities around the metro who can now listen to La Indomable.”

WKY, reportedly the first radio station west of the Mississippi River, had been a news/talk station since it was acquired by Citadel from The Oklahoma Publishing Co. in December 2002. OPUBCO bought the station in 1928.

Under Citadel ownership, WKY’s local news/talk was a distant second behind news/talk leader KTOK-AM 1000, which carries syndicated talk show hosts, including Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Among news/talk stations in the summer Arbitron ratings, KTOK had a 4.2 share of the audience for listeners 12-andolder, followed by WKY, 1.7, and KOKC-AM 1520, 0.9.

WKY also has carried Oklahoma City Blazers and Oklahoma RedHawks game broadcasts, but planned to cut back on its sports programming under the new format, Baker said in an e-mail. Blazers spokesman Josh Evans said the team expected WKY will carry the remainder of its games this season.

Citadel launched KINB in July 2004 in response to the growing Hispanic community. According to the American Community Survey, Oklahoma City’s Hispanic population had grown to almost 61,000 by 2004.

WKY morning show host Mark Shannon, a longtime Oklahoma City morning personality, said he was notified of the format switch Sunday night.

“There are a lot of people who want to reach that Spanish market,” Shannon said. “They (Citadel) were having good luck with a nothing signal.” In the summer Arbitron ratings, KINB trailed rival Spanish station KTUZ, 2.9 to 2.1, among listeners 12 and older. KZUE of El Reno did not show up in the ratings.

Shannon said Citadel bought out the last two years of his three-year contract. Excluding Shannon and afternoon personality Ron Black, the other on-air personalities for “Supertalk WKY” — Jim Traber, Brad Copeland and Dax Davis — also work for other Citadel stations.

The demise of “Supertalk WKY” left Oklahoma City with only limited local talk, early mornings and late afternoon on KTOK. KOKC also emphasizes syndicated programming.

Reaching the Hispanic population

KINB broadcasts from Kingfisher with a signal of less than 1,000 watts. Skip Stow, market manager at KTUZ-FM 106.7, known as "La Zeta" and owned by Tyler Broadcasting, said KINB had a hard time reaching the south side of Oklahoma City, where so many Hispanics live.

"Being licensed to Kingfisher puts them pretty far out of the metro," Stow said. "I think they realized they had some coverage problems."

WKY's 5,000-watt signal will reach a lot of Hispanics, not just those on the south side, said Oscar Quiroga, chairman of the Governor's Advisory Council on Latin American and Hispanic Affairs.

"Fantastic," Quiroga said of the format switch. "I thought that was great news because, according to what I read, it's going to be reaching all the way up to Kansas."

Arthur Valdez, an Oklahoma City real estate appraiser who recently joined the Governor's Advisory Council, also welcomed the format switch.

"Anything to help the Hispanic community get more informed is greatly appreciated and needed," Valdez said. Whether WKY will fill that need by providing more Spanish-language news remains to be seen, he said.

"That station is basically music," Valdez said of La Indomable. "There's several small radio stations that provide music. I think it's also important to provide the news."

Nancy Galvan, who owns KZUE in El Reno, the metro area's first Spanish-language station, also welcomed the competition and said it would not affect her station because of its unique format of traditional music and news.

"La Tremenda and La Indomable, they're the same. No news," Galvan said. "Every hour, I have the news."

Patricia Fennell, director of the Latino Community Development Agency, said she hopes WKY eventually will add Spanish-language local news.

"I think down the road they will be more attuned to what's going on in the community. I think that will evolve," Fennell said.

For now, the addition of a new Spanish-language station shows the growing economic power of the city's Hispanic community, Fennell said.

"Especially in the corporate world, so many people see the economic potential in the Latino community. That's what drives this."
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing here in Houston.

A 25 yr old rock station was replaced by some bullshit station whose motto was "latino and PROUD"    Fuck that
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There's more illegal alien radio stations here in Phoenix than any other format...by far.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Si, si, si e lo siento, pero mi Estados Unidos es no mas para Americanos.
Con este gobierno es no necesicito Ingles, papeles para trabajo e no mica para mexicanos aqui illegalmente.

Viva Estados Unidos, Mexico norte.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Lifelong native Okie here.  I grew up tuning my little transistor radio to WKY, the oldest radio station west of the Mississippi.

There are no words, my friends.  Words fail.  They mean nothing.  

One has a tendency to grow very silent.  To observe.  I have long since quit letting on to anyone that I understand and speak Spanish.  I'm just another guerinche chingada, another effing blonde oppressor.  

What does one do?  The best stories must of necessity remain untold.

I can however say that I do my best to explain to business owners and managers what is going on, what the graffiti means, what the loitering illegal invaders are plotting (lawsuits), and which gang "owns" their  territory, etc. Local businesspeople  "know" they have a problem, but refuse to believe how bad it is.  The future is here.  Now.

The only words which can even begin to describe what we face are:  Malignant Cancer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OKLAHOMA?

Anything I say beyond would get me banned.

"

Habla espanol?  

How long before I see this on the TV?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/20010905-2-1.jpg
The new El Presidente of las Estados Unidos d'Aztlan, Vincente Fox, is sworn in at the White House alongside Vice Presidente Jorge Bush

Strange bedfellows indeed
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats very whats America coming to
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I was offshore of houston a while back, and we had a radio with us. We caught exactly 3 english stations. 2 were country, the other was thugged out G-gangsta rap music. The rest were all spanish stations. Oddly enough, the english stations were fuzzy, but the spanish stations were loud and clear.. There are so many spanish stations in the houston area that they step on each other. It's insane.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]

I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
and the touch of a world that is older
I turn the switch and check the number
I leave it on when in bed I slumber
I hear the rhythms of the music
I buy the product and never use it
I hear the talking of the dj
Can't understand, just what does he say?

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican - whoah - radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

I dial it in and tune the station
They talk about the U.S. inflation
I understand just a little
No comprende, it's a riddle

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

I wish I was in Tiajuana
Eating barbecued iguana
I'd take requests on the telephone
I'm on a wavelength far from home
I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
I dial it in from south of the border I hear the talking of the dj
Can't understand, just what does he say?

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

Radio, radio,
Radio, radio...
(what does he say?)

"Mexican Radio"
-Wall of Voodoo

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top