Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2006 5:58:32 PM EDT
If we were to "neutralize" Muqtada Al-Sadr, and his Mahdi Army, would most of the violence in Baghdad and Iraq, be quelled? When I see video footage of Nouri Al-Maliki having a press conference with ol' Mookie Al-Sadr, I can't help but think that the Iraqi Prime Minister is actually endorsing Al-Sadr's views, and therefore his Mahdi Army. Which has to be a thorn in the Sunnis side.

Am I wrong? I haven't been there, so if you have, please share your observations, and give me some education on this matter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The war in Iraq against coalition forces is not being fought by one, five or even ten differant groups, but dozens upon dozens. Not only are they fighting us, they are fighting one another. If you take out one group the violence will not end. Sadr is part of the problem and he should have been delt with a couple of years ago when he was holed up in the tomb of ali. But fuck it, it's just politics right?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The war in Iraq against coalition forces is not being fought by one, five or even ten differant groups, but dozens upon dozens. Not only are they fighting us, they are fighting one another. If you take out one group the violence will not end. Sadr is part of the problem and he should have been delt with a couple of years ago when he was holed up in the tomb of ali. But fuck it, it's just politics right?  

I hate politics.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If we were to "neutralize" Muqtada Al-Sadr, and his Mahdi Army, would most of the violence in Baghdad and Iraq, be quelled?

-------- No probably not, Iran backs up both Hakim (Badr) and Al Sadr (JAM) and are ethnically clensing the mixed areas of Baghdad. Remove JAM and Badr would still be out there. As long as the people need to be defended from the sunni insurgency the Shiite will have their militias, as long as there are militias there will be death squads and retaliation.

When I see video footage of Nouri Al-Maliki having a press conference with ol' Mookie Al-Sadr, I can't help but think that the Iraqi Prime Minister is actually endorsing Al-Sadr's views, and therefore his Mahdi Army.

-----------Maliki needs the JAM and Al Sadr, he certainly cant depend on us. These guys all know we detrayed the south vietnamese and the kurds and the lebenses cristians. Maliki needs a strong ally, Casey aint it....

Which has to be a thorn in the Sunnis side.

--------Any Shia in a position of power is a thorn in their side and an afrront to their dignity, to see shia and kurds in charge fills them with shame,  humiliation and frustration, just like hard work,  rational thought,  and hygene humiliate them.

Am I wrong? I haven't been there, so if you have, please share your observations, and give me some education on this matter.

---------------Pick a winner.  Get with the Iraqi Army and absolutley destroy the insurgency and any one who harbors them, then disband the Iraqi police and rule Baghdad with the army, allow (encourage) any sunni to emigrate.  Once the sunni's are in their own area's have the Iraqi army seperate the country internally, just as the Kurds have their mono ethnic, secure prosperous states allow the shia to have their own, let the sunni's have everything south of Mosul and east of the river......
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I haven't been there, so if you have, please share your observations, and give me some education on this matter.

I have, and that sort of thing is way the hell above my pay grade.

However, militia or no militia, Sadr has over 30 seats in the Iraqi parliament, so is, whilst not particularly powerful, still a notable elected political force. I don't think we should equate meeting with Sadr with supporting his militia. That said, he's far from the only militia in the country, indeed, his is one of the smallest, particularly compared to the PUK or Badr Brigades.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I think we should drop a 2000 pounder on Al-Sadr's lap ASAP; it might not stop the violence, but it'll send a clear message to the smaller groups out there that we are not taking their crap anymore.

Al Sadr is the leader of the biggest insurgent group and his violent demise, a la "Al Zarkawi" would give the smaller splinter groups a "Notice to vacate Iraq permanently"; we might have some smaller groups that will still take puckshots at our guys, but it will definitely send the message across.

I dunno if it will do anything at this point in time, but its worth a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top