Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/22/2008 2:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2008 2:45:30 PM EDT by samsong]
It's KILLING me.

I turn on the news, and people are whining...

Wait for it...

That prices for things are going down!

They're whining that there's good news for the consumer. Fuck that! I've been paying nigh-on $4.00/gal for gasoline for the past 9 months (and just below that for 16) and the price of food has almost doubled - I'm getting raped at Costco and assaulted at Safeway.

Finally, some relief comes. Then some know-it-all nutcase on the radio tells me that the price of goods going DOWN is a "bad thing," claiming that it will shrink my wage somehow - like my wage skyrocketed upward to meet the amazing ballistic trajectory of prices over the last three years or something. My wage hasn't moved anywhere because of inflation, that's for damn sure.

Why is there never any good news in the economic forecast? Is everyone who holds that as their profession a paid pessimist? It's "24-7 Gloom and Doom" in the forecast with those nutballs.

You know, I filled my tank this evening with less than $21.00 of gas! It was only $1.769/gal here in sunny CO. Campbells Tomato soup is $.77/can!

I could get used to this... feels like 1997.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:40:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:42:42 PM EDT
No good news is allowed, untill the messiah is in office.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2008 2:46:53 PM EDT by jbombelli]
I agree. This cracks me up. For years I hear about how bad inflation is, and now deflation is bad, too.

WTF ???

Personally, I like to see prices coming down. It means my dollar can purchase more goods and services than before. It's like getting a raise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:48:26 PM EDT
well those "NUT CASE'S say deflation is just as bad as inflation HMMMMM i dont get it but then again they are smarter than the rest of us poor working slobs
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2008 2:49:13 PM EDT by Kylaer_]
Originally Posted By samsong:

Finally, some relief comes. Then some know-it-all nutcase on the radio tells me that the price of goods going DOWN is a "bad thing," claiming that it will shrink my wage somehow - like my wage skyrocketed upward to meet the amazing ballistic trajectory of prices over the last three years or something. My wage hasn't moved anywhere because of inflation, that's for damn sure.

If we have serious deflation, you may very well lose your job. Deflation is seriously bad stuff, worse than inflation. It's more complicated than inflation and I don't pretend to understand it all, but consider: if people aren't buying, and money isn't flowing into a company, then employees are going to get let go and/or the company will go out of business.

The Great Depression was deflationary. Do not underestimate it.

Edit: What the hell is up with the new code
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:49:15 PM EDT

Economics, math, physics...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:49:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sjerdude:
No good news is allowed, untill the messiah is in office.
^^This.

You wait 'till Obama gets into office. There won't be an economic indicator that doesn't indicate that "sunny days are here again."

Even after they've won the election for Their Boy, they're finding ways to Blame Bush for things... including good things.

Top Top