Day 18: attack
Day 19 switchbacks
Day 20: timeclock
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
FFFFUUUUUUuuuuuuu

I'll only get to watch the first week,   I hope I can find some coverage while I'm in Curacao.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Always was a Marco Patani fan.  God rest his soul  
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That guy with one testicle will win.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Stages 18 and 19 are serious business.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to love le tour.
Now I really can't give a fuck.
contador can eat a dick.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I  met  Greg  LeMond  back  in '89  @  the Athens Criterium.
Back  in the day  I was  into teh racing.

Every  year the RAAM  goes right through  A-town.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

didnt One-nut retire?

Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Levi is a cousin in law of mine.

GO LEVI!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

didnt One-nut retire?

Does not matter.  He still always wins.  Makes things fairly boring.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

didnt One-nut retire?

Does not matter.  He still always wins.  Makes things fairly boring.

He didn't win last time he rode. He bonked in 2001 on a mountain stage and lost a couple of minutes.

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If Andy isn't in shape...  

Link Posted: 6/27/2011 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
france.........what ??

Not a single fuck was given.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#14]
used to love it, but not so much now.

I'll still watch a few stages probably
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
same here- I only watch the mtn stages
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
used to love it, but not so much now.

I'll still watch a few stages probably

That's how it will play out in my house as well. I used to be stuck to the tube for every stage but i t got sooooooo old listening to all of the doping allegations whether they were true or not. It seem to be just a circus now. Hopefully I'll have a change of heart someday and get back into watching the pros.
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats up with Contodor?  Trouble??
Link Posted: 6/27/2011 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I could not care less about the TDF, but here's some music for you to enjoy while perusing this thread.

BTW...If you want to see a REAL competition, make each rider ride the *exact* same bike...exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6wRHFdKdA&feature=related
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#20]
For those of you who are interested. Aquaphor le Tour Challenge.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When the teams were introduced today, Contador was booed by the audience.

Wow

His attack on Schleck last year wasn't a very popular move. Then the whole clenbuterol deal and it not being completely resolved has made him a bit of a pariah. This should be a good year for the race. The Schleck brothers are going to make Contador really earn an overall win

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#22]
The free NBC/Versus TDF All Access app is now up in the App store on iTunes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I have decided to take Friday 7/22/11 off of work  
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Gonna be great. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
going riding in the morning but I'll be watching Sat evening.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Almost go time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Training for Tour De France circa 1932
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I used to love le tour.

Now I really can't give a fuck.

contador can eat a dick.

Lance Armstrong is the one that ruined it for me.  That lying egotistical f*&k.  Him (and guys like him) have ruined the sport IMO.  Bring back the days of Greg LeMond, and others of that era and I would watch again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#29]
And this has become interesting on DAY 1
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Team time trials today.

Link to prize giveaway in first post.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I happy to see that they brought back the TTT.  Yesterday's stage was pretty exciting.  I'm glad Contador is already in the hole and Shleck is only :06 off the lead.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad Contador is already in the hole and Shleck is only :06 off the lead.

Much as it hurts me to root against the Danish team, I really want Contador to lose - ideally in some ironic way.

While Saxo Bank might be a Danish company, the team is almost all Spaniards, so it's okay to hate them.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Contador had a mechanical on one of the climbs and got dropped?

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Much as it hurts me to root against the Danish team, I really want Contador to lose - ideally in some ironic way.

While Saxo Bank might be a Danish company, the team is almost all Spaniards, so it's okay to hate them.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Contador had a mechanical on one of the climbs and got dropped?

Yes!  It would be perfect if he was in yellow, and had a mechanical on the day before Paris - and Andy took (and kept) the yellow as a result.

Andy's ITT game will need to be improved for that scenario. He'll need some good time on Evans too. The ITT as the second to last stage keeps things interesting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!  It would be perfect if he was in yellow, and had a mechanical on the day before Paris - and Andy took (and kept) the yellow as a result.

Two days before Paris –– while climbing Alp D'Huez  The penultimate day is an individual TT at Grenoble.  More fun to watch him get passed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I could not care less about the TDF, but here's some music for you to enjoy while perusing this thread.

BTW...If you want to see a REAL competition, make each rider ride the *exact* same bike...exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6wRHFdKdA&feature=related

Loved TDF by Kraftwerk.

Here is the "Hip hop" version that was in Breakin' (Movie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXpQt3A9E8&playnext=1&list=PLC9305C0200FB7A4B

And here is the modern version of TDF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQz-CZvkY8k

I am starting to like the newer version better.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Andy's ITT game will need to be improved for that scenario. He'll need some good time on Evans too. The ITT as the second to last stage keeps things interesting.

Schleck is only 4" back while Contador is 1'42" back.  That's a lot of time to make up.  The large time gap is going to give Schleck a little bit of cushion for the ITT.  Of course after only 2 stages any wild speculation is exactly that.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jens Voigt has an interview with the Schleck brothers in this month's Bicycling. This is from the article:

JENS: How did the events of that day change you? Did you learn anything?

ANDY: Well, I learned for Alberto's action to attack when a rival drops a chain. I mean, you've never seen that before from a big champion. Armstrong waited for Ullrich when he fell in a ditch [in the 2001 Tour] and Hamilton and Ullrich waited for Armstrong when he crashed on Luz-Ardidin [in 2003]. So what can I say? I learned that day that you've got to be an asshole sometimes. And if the same thing happens to certain riders in the future, I won't wait. You can forgive someone, but I won't forget that he attacked while I was standing there with a mechanical.

I was shocked when Contador looked back at Schleck and then took off last year. Based on past rulings by the Arbitrators Contador is going to be stripped of his '10 Tour win and this year's Giro win. After getting booed at the opening ceremony I'm sure he's wondering to himself what the point is. Anyone who is an avid cyclist understand just how easy it is to block yourself mentally. Contador is under some pretty intense pressure. I think everyone knows the c"ontaminated meat" defense is pretty slim since the EU banned the use of Clenbuterol for cattle fattening several years ago. He has got to have a little voice nagging him as rides. Come the mountains we'll really see what he's got.

Andy Schleck is certainly going to be gunning for Contador and will not show him any mercy. Nor I think will anyone else. Tour history is filled with people who did things that weren't really up and up as to the unspoken etiquette of the Tour. Those people have generally been given some sort of payback by the peloton for their indiscretion.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently Andy spent some major time in the wind tunnel over the winter. Also his TT bike has been improved. The scary thing is him throwing the chain in the Swiss Tour ITT, ala the 2010 Tour. He had to finish the TT on his road bike since there wasn't a backup TT bike on the chase car for him. I bet they won't make that mistake again but still...

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Jens Voigt has an interview with the Schleck brothers in this month's Bicycling. This is from the article:

JENS: How did the events of that day change you? Did you learn anything?

ANDY: Well, I learned for Alberto's action to attack when a rival drops a chain. I mean, you've never seen that before from a big champion. Armstrong waited for Ullrich when he fell in a ditch [in the 2001 Tour] and Hamilton and Ullrich waited for Armstrong when he crashed on Luz-Ardidin [in 2003]. So what can I say? I learned that day that you've got to be an asshole sometimes. And if the same thing happens to certain riders in the future, I won't wait. You can forgive someone, but I won't forget that he attacked while I was standing there with a mechanical.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Garmin/Cervelo kicked major ass in the TTT today. Thor Hushovd is in yellow. C. Evans is 2nd +00:01, F. Schleck is 6th +00:004, A Schleck is 10th +00:04, Contador is 75 +01:42

Top American is George Hincapie in 13th +00:04.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#43]
ABC

Anybody but Contador!
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#44]
bump
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
bump

No, they did the cobble stones last year, I think, or the year before.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I stopped caring after Eddy Merckx retired.

Damn, YOUR OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hinault for me!

How many here in this thread are in the bike biz?
<––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Gonna be great. Can't wait.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Garmin/Cervelo kicked major ass in the TTT today. Thor Hushovd is in yellow. C. Evans is 2nd +00:01, F. Schleck is 6th +00:004, A Schleck is 10th +00:04, Contador is 75 +01:42

Top American is George Hincapie in 13th +00:04.

Thor Hushovd in what must be the largest polka dot skinsuit ever made.

DZ's Captain America aero helmet.

Nice job by the G-C team today driving the pain train to the line.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Paid for my subscription to the Tour Tracker online.  Looking like it's going to be a good TdF
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top