Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/20/2005 11:52:45 AM EDT
Well its official.  It appears they will be calling Mandatory Evacuation of Galveston Island and the County today at 5pm.  Most of the Schools has post poned class for at least the rest of the week.  Galveston County is the only county between Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast.  While the storm path is still unclear it appears there will likely be Storm Surge and Inclimate Weather.  This will likely affect Houston members and surrounding.  Checked and hope this aint a dupe.  But I will post pics and keep informed as it goes. Do the same if you have or get any pics.  We are a few miles from the Bay and are anticipating evac to North Texas within 24 hours.  Be Safe People.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]

There is a thread in the SF with some preparation tips for those who haven't gone thru this before:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=391590

Buena suerte.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I think we're gonna ride it out (in NW Houston).  What else can we do?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive me if I'm being silly, I haven't watched the weather much lately, but isn't this a bit early? Should still have at least several days right?

Edit: 3 days according to the posted map. Maybe it's because I'm from Florida, but I'm used to seeing voluntary evacs 2 days ahead and mandatory evacs the day before it hits.

Nevermind. I just read Charging Handle's post below. I got room in Florida if any of you Arfcommers need it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Head west to San Antonio.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
CNN just had some breaking news on the hurricane. The National Hurricane Center is now forecasting this storm to reach Category 4 status by 2 PM tomorrow. And the bad news, they keep it at Cat 4 status all the way across the Gulf until landfall in Texas. This thing may even reach Cat 5 status at some point in it's life, as it has the same exact conditions to work with as Katrina had.

Folks in the path of thing, don't take chances. Once the path becomes more and more clear, get out if you are in or near the danger zone. We don't need to add you to the list of statistics.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't realize that Houston was so close to the Gulf Coast:

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I get to do a turd transport from south of Dallas to Chorizo Springs Thur/Fri.  This should be a fun trip.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Head west to San Antonio.

yeah, but I'm sure by the time we get to San Antonio every Hotel would be booked.

My parents live in Amarillo, guess that's our only choice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
She is starting to breathe, get your crap together now, don't wait, get the gas and other storm prep done today..do not wait. Trust me, after 7 storms here, you don't won't to be the last in line.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yeah, but I'm sure by the time we get to San Antonio every Hotel would be booked. My parents live in Amarillo, guess that's our only choice.

That's the idea! Stay with family, don't depend on 'gubment.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, arent there like a couple hundred thousand NO residents in Houston now? Looks like Mother Nature is back for seconds....

This is not going to be good weekend for my beloved state.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]
this sucks though.

My brother-in-law (a real high roller) lives in a nice affluent area but unfortunately the area is next to growing ghetto ville.  The police patrol his area like it's a compound.  I think both him and I are afraid his house would be looted to the worse degree.  I said I would stay behind in his house, but not sure I could deal with no power for weeks.  (He's leavin for philly friday).
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
"katrina's back....and she's pissed off"
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a HUGE refinery in Beaumont. If the hurricane hits it, expect $5 per gallon.

I hope not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, had my wife call her sister. Told her to grab the dogs and come up here until the weekend is over. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Any residual effects as far north as Dallas?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm hoping for a lot of rain. My grass is brown.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yup, its going to rain like hell up here. And we need it bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

www.texasmonthly.com/images/travel/gulf_map.gif

38 miles or so...but, then it's also 70 miles from the coast because it's so fricking big
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still have grass?  I've got a large brown smear with a few flecks of a once-vegetative substance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still have grass?  I've got a large brown smear with a few flecks of a once-vegetative substance.

lol, it's so bad here that the fireants have moved to greener pastures.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd be happy with some rain.  At least this year with no lawn the grasshoppers from hell haven't had anything to eat, which has kept their numbers down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I didn't realize that Houston was so close to the Gulf Coast

Most people don't. Most people also don't realize Houston is the #2 port in the nation, behind - you guessed it - New Orleans. If we take this one up the chute, the economy is FUBAR buddy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Any evac from the coast that needs a hotel.  I live in Bryan/College Station is 110 miles inland from Galveston.   Texas A&M has just switched their home game with Texas State to Thursday night.  Alot of hotel rooms are going to be freed up soon that were booked Friday and Saturday night.  So you might want to jump on the opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

38 miles or so...but, then it's also 70 miles from the coast because it's so fricking big

Is that 38-mile figure from Houston to the actual Gulf Coast, or to Galveston Bay?  The Bay looks a lot closer, and all that water would be pushed up against the land in a big hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
im in Galveston county. this sucks. ive never been through a hurricane before. ill probly be leaving with my family sometime tomorrow or early thursday. i think we will be going to stay with realitives in either austin of lufkin.

there are refineries all over the place here. if we get a cat 4 its gonna get pretty bad
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Any evac from the coast that needs a hotel.  I live in Bryan/College Station is 110 miles inland from Galveston.   Texas A&M has just switched their home game with Texas State  Southwest Texas to Thursday night.  Alot of hotel rooms are going to be freed up soon that were booked Friday and Saturday night.  So you might want to jump on the opportunity.

Fixed it for you.  And try not to tear the ass out of my alma mammy too bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that 38-mile figure from Houston to the actual Gulf Coast, or to Galveston Bay?  The Bay looks a lot closer, and all that water would be pushed up against the land in a big hurricane.

the Bay is closer, but the Houston Ship Channel runs right into Houston.  As bad as Houston might get it, Galveston will be worse.  The seawall only runs so far.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Man, the looters may get to tear up TWO cities.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
im in Galveston county. this sucks. ive never been through a hurricane before. ill probly be leaving with my family sometime tomorrow or early thursday. i think we will be going to stay with realitives in either austin of lufkin.

there are refineries all over the place here. if we get a cat 4 its gonna get pretty bad

If you're going to leave, GTFON.  Wait too long and one of two things will happen:  you'll end up stuck in the mother of all traffic jams or the winds and waves will get too high and the Causeway will get shut down.  Happens every time.
I grew up in that area, and my older sister is BOI, and she won't stay down there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#33]
If I go to Texas and get in front of the storm will I get a $2000 debit card?

Just thinking ahead.

Edited to add: IBTLooting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If I go to Texas and get in front of the storm will I get a $2000 debit card?

Just thinking ahead.

Edited to add: IBTLooting.

uh.... after the locals get theirs
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Does Houston have a significant shall we say "looter potential" crowd.  Isnt Houston where Slumlord has his apartments?? Could be interesting down there guys.  I'm so glad nothing happens here in NM, the biggest thing I have to worry about is being kidnapped by aliens near Roswell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Does Houston have a significant shall we say "looter potential" crowd.  Isnt Houston where Slumlord has his apartments?? Could be interesting down there guys.  I'm so glad nothing happens here in NM, the biggest thing I have to worry about is being kidnapped by aliens near Roswell.

yes, Houston, does have major "looter potential."  I think it would give NO a run for it's money.

I'm staying put, locked, loaded, well fed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#37]
  Ive got a house in Kingwood, 85 miles NW from Galvaston do you think I should board up my windows etc
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Bury/hide your guns and ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
  Ive got a house in Kingwood, 85 miles NW from Galvaston do you think I should board up my windows etc

Seriously it wouldn't be a bad idea. along with at least 2 weeks worth of MREs or canned food and water.

Even 85 miles from the coast you could get a heck of a storm if it makes landfall as a serious huricane and is moving fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
There is a HUGE refinery in Beaumont. If the hurricane hits it, expect $5 per gallon.

I hope not.

There are another 10 refineries or so in Pasadena, Channelview, Texas City and Baytown...and a nuclear power facility in Bay City......should be fun
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm near Bellaire and right now I'm planning on staying.  May have the wife and dogs head to Austin.

I'm thinking some Heinekin is in order.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

No, just follow the standard Houston evacuation orders:

If you like Mexican food, 10 East to San Antonio.

If you like leathery tans and way too much really ugly jewelry, 45 North to Dallas.

If you are an Aggie, get on 610 and make sure to stay on 610 until you get out of town.  Just don't exit 610!  Trust me...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag. My house is in Sugar Land, though I'm on a rig north of Victoria for a week or two longer, at least. Hope everything's all right down there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, Houston, does have major "looter potential."  I think it would give NO a run for it's money.

I'm staying put, locked, loaded, well fed.

I'm thinking major looter shooter potential, actually.  After the business in NO, a lot of my neighbors started sighting in "for deer season" a little early.  I have interesting neighbors; many hunt in Africa from time to time.  I am curious about what a .416 Rigby would do to a looter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are an Aggie, get on 610 and make sure to stay on 610 until you get out of town.  Just don't exit 610!  Trust me...

Took me twice reading this one.  Good.  REAL good.
~m38a1
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

not real bad, I remember back in the early eigties a big one came up through the Galveston area and when it got here to Dallas it was still giving us 60mph winds and a hard rain. Right now I am hoping it comes right through here I have a lot of outside projects that need a real good soaking and it sure would beat the hell out of these 100 degree days.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

we'er not quite the same situation as NO "bowl" effect.  They are below sea level we are above. The surge will subside quite a bit before hitting Houston proper and what water may surge through town will not stay long.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

and that string of pesky volcanoes to your north...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Still too early to be certain, but the forecast track got bumped a little farther south.  Good for some, bad for others.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

if it hits Galveston you'll be in good shape do to your being on the wrong side of the storm.  NE of Galveston and maybe a bit closer in, less than 40 miles, it could be a different story.  Then again if its a CAT-5 and slips south ad takes out CC you may see some decent stormage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top