Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:39:22 PM EST
OK guys, I need any feedback on maintenance issues you encountered overseas. Problems, solutions, parts issues, vehicle issues, you name it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:22:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 10:11:29 PM EST by Ranger689]
well "controlled substitution" is word that we have become very familier with. The lack of spare parts has been a problem. It seems that at the brigade level the supply system works for some units and not others.

obviously a thorough PMCS is critical along with a good quality control program run by the BMO.

Initially we couldn't even get oil but that has since changed. I would bring all the spare parts you can scrape together. We ended getting some M1114s but had no PLL to support them. Also, on all Humvees its been very important to check the bolts holding the alternator, power steering pump and AC (on M1114) they work loose and will cause problems.

Track pads on our Bradleys only last about 200 miles during the heat of the summer this makes for some grumpy crews. We can't get enough track pads and many times instead of taking Bradleys we take humvees. We have to sacrifice security to save the few pads we do get. Apparently Goodyear sent some bad track. the bushings are no good and we have had to replace sections of track after a short movement because the bushings fail. It's cooling down now so hopefully we will get more miles out of the track pads. Our M113s do a little better and fortunately we haven't had to put many miles on our M88s.

Even though we face challenges and we have twice the number of vehicles normally assigned to a mech infantry company (additional Humvees) our OR rate averages 98% due in part by a lot of hard work from our maintenance section.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:22:59 PM EST
fuel filters - bring/order lots of them, change them every month at the most
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:16:35 AM EST
Air filters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:43:17 PM EST
A well stocked PLL. Do your scheduled services don't pencil whip or half ass do them!! Lives are depending on it. It's no fun standing around a fueler pulling security and getting stoned by locals because the Motor Pool didn't service the brakes correctly.
Get a spare tire for every Humvv.
Armorers must keep up with thier weapon services !!!

SFC MAC
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:01:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By mk23hk:

SFC MAC

Did you fabricate spare tire mounts or just carry them in the bed?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:06:15 AM EST

Bring ever spare part for your equipment you can lay your hands on, even as a FAD 1 unit it may take a while to get any parts. Expect parts to wear out at 4-5 times the peace time rate, most equipment in the states never has to deal with all the extra weight of hardening and constant use. I cannot say this enough times bring as many tires as you can, tires are eaten up in the Iraq.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:26:16 PM EST
No Class III P support during our initial 90 days (APR thru June). Also limited Class IX repair parts availability. We need to ditch the demand support requirement for PLL and go back to Having 100 line in a Mech Infantry Company. Furthermore, don't classify as many small arms parts as "SARPS". If it isn't the rame /receiver or the actually triggger, sear, or hammer; make it easier to get replacements. Bulk water realityt. When the ROWPU's went into operation everyone got their bottle water ration cut even though we were barely getting 500 gallons for a 800 man plus Infantry task force.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:54:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

SFC MAC

Did you fabricate spare tire mounts or just carry them in the bed?

There are some off the shelf spare tire mounts out there if your unit has the funds to purchase them.
We had them strapped down on top, and some carried in the bed. What ever you do make sure every thing is secured, IE strapped down in the Vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:03:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 7:05:25 PM EST by Garand_Shooter]
I have some good blueprints for ones you can fabricate and we are going that route, I was wondering how common units doing that is.

I would rather save some class IX funds and just buy steel, then give the guys some good welding time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:53:29 PM EST
While going thru some pics of mine I came across one of a M2 that was brought to my section for repair. The crew didn't properly set the Headspace & Timing correctly. Luckily no one was hurt, and it happened on a Range not out on the road.
Make sure you have Headspace & Timing gages for your M2s'!!! Also make sure the operators are trained to use them correctly.
Don't use ID tags or coins or whatever crap someone says can be used!! Use the proper gages.

MIKE

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:09:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 10:10:03 AM EST by warlord]

While going thru some pics of mine I came across one of a M2 that was brought to my section for repair. The crew didn't properly set the Headspace & Timing correctly. Luckily no one was hurt, and it happened on a Range not out on the road.
Make sure you have Headspace & Timing gages for your M2s'!!! Also make sure the operators are trained to use them correctly.
Don't use ID tags or coins or whatever crap someone says can be used!! Use the proper gages.

MIKE

Funny you should say that. There was a post somewhere on AR15.COM where someone in Iraq was pleading for some headspace gauges for his M2. Someone finally sent him some. This is terrible to be in a war zone and not having important tools to maintain your gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:17:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:35 AM EST
Stress to your operators to constantly check the bolts on their vehicles for tightness. The constant use of vehicles on rough terrain would often cause bolts on them to loosen or fall off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:03:51 AM EST
I didnt do down range with my unit but since the=y moved to shop office, what I have heard as far as maintenance, parts were not a problem but the amount of work. On our daily print here, we manage about 140 jobs. In Iraq it was over 1000 with less people.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:39:19 PM EST
We changed almost all of our tires on the convoy up from Kuwait, and left 3 vehicles behind for maintenance issues and never got anything back from them. Hadji will strip a vehicle in about a hour, they dont even have the decency to leave it on blocks. Windshields got broke a lot, and mirrors broke off a lot too. Biggest thing was brakes and air bladders if you have trailers, dolly sets, or other equipment that use air bladders. I have no idea what tracked vehicles used up a lot over there because my unit does not have any tracked vehicles; biggest thing is a hemmet wrecker and a fueler.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:11:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By svtfast:
I didnt do down range with my unit but since the=y moved to shop office, what I have heard as far as maintenance, parts were not a problem but the amount of work. On our daily print here, we manage about 140 jobs. In Iraq it was over 1000 with less people.

Thats a battle I will face too, I will have my complete MTOE plus about 25% more vehicles, including some rare specialized equipment none of us have ever so much as seen before, with the same manpower.
Top Top