Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2018 8:07:44 AM EDT
The time has come that we get sprayed tomorrow in the academy. Any recommendations on what works best? I have heard over and over that Dawn dish soap works best for the face and to use baby soap in your eyes.

Any suggestions? Its also suppose to rain tomorrow so thatll be fun with the spray running fast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It is going to suck, but you will have a better understanding of what you can do under duress. Baby shampoo for the clean up, and have 3 good hand towels your willing to toss out. Pat do not rub smear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunking your head in a bucket of water and then hosing off with baby soap worked best. Then sit in front of a fan with your eyes open.

Be ready for the second dose when you get home and shower. Pro tip - be careful of where the water runs down your body.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Amazon Product
  • Sudecon Instantly Lifts Contaminating Agents From the Skin; In Approximately 7 To 15 Minutes - Or Less
  • The Burning Will Subside And You Can Open Your Eyes; Used By Law Enforcement
  • 12 Count

Its probably cheating.

They work, wipe down before showering to get the last residue off so you don't have a secondary flare up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I wash my face with soap and water, and then I go for a run. Not running like your heads on fire, just a nice jog to keep your eyes open and my mind off how much it sucks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
For me?

Shaving.    Helped exfoliate that skin contaning the capspacin away.

Try to sneak away with not shaving the day you are gonna get sprayed.

Also when you get yome to shower, might want to lay down so your water drains off your face into the drain rather than down your body to your junk.

I remember still being a bit pissy the next day when sweating during OT and still feeling a little bit of it on my ears.

Bout 30 minutes post exposure it felt like the worst sun burn of my life.    Other guys were still not able to drive about 2 hours after getting nuked.  2 guys still looked like crap the next day with bloodshot eyes.

I dont recommend a fan, if too strong it will blow the vapors right into your face and you will be inhaling the thing you are trying to avoid.    Our instructors always joked about using the hotel pool of aherever they went to be recertified as instructors, just kept swimming laps while stopping to drink from a beer after each lap.

Think it was LE10 we got hit with.   At least it was stream and not fogger.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. Have fun. It will suck but you will survive. Don't rub your eyes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Geromino509 nails it....Exactly how we did it back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing except time worked for me.  Been sprayed twice.  Each time my eyes spot welded themselves closed and it was at least an hour before they would open on their own.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Had someone tell me that saline eyewash is the shit.  No personal experience with that though.  I did mine old school with water and wind.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info everyone. I was sprayed yesterday at 1420 and my eyes are still stinging some! Ended up getting hit ear to ear, across the eyes with Saber Red. Its not something I want to do again!
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Each product varies slightly on how best to rapidly overtime the effects.

The solvent also makes a slight difference,  water vs alcohol vs oil.

What were you sprayed with?

Based on my full face exposure experiences, from easiest recovery to hardest were:

Freeze +P
Fox
Sabre Defense
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Dawn dish soap, time and fresh blowing air.

OPEN YOUR EYES AND FLUSH!!!! Don’t be a bitch and scream about it and not listen to the instructors they know what there doing.

EDIT! Don’t rub!!! Or shower till the end of the night
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Haaa haaa

That's my only advice
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
They made us find the drinking fountain / sinks after they sprayed us.  Just water and standing in the wind.  It wasn't that bad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It burned but wasn't too bad.  I just couldn't breathe.  Rinse your eyes out good 1 time and then air dry.

Seemed like every time I would bend over to wash my face, I would lose my breath.  Biggest thing, don't panic.  You'll live, just sucks for a while.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Fox Labs is what I was sprayed with and it sucked.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I was first one to go and I did the 5 million scoville spray.  Instructor was way to close when he sprayed me, hurt like a MFer, as he sprayed it right into my left eye.  Probably 8'' away...surprised it didn't take my eye out.

Once you get sprayed, you under stand why, it's ok to pull your gun and shoot some MF'er...Have fun with it and a bucket of water...lol.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Freeze +P is what I got hit with. Sucked ass. I was hurting for about 4 hours. Over the next few days, my eyelids were peeling pretty good. I'd rather get tased than sprayed any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Been sprayed 4 times.....it’s supremely annoying for a while but it’s nothing unbearable. Think of the worst tongue burning sensation you’ve ever felt from spicy food and imagine it all over your face for like an hour straight.

Really, really annoying...but not scream-like-a-girl pain.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me?

Shaving.    Helped exfoliate that skin contaning the capspacin away.

Try to sneak away with not shaving the day you are gonna get sprayed.

Also when you get yome to shower, might want to lay down so your water drains off your face into the drain rather than down your body to your junk.

I remember still being a bit pissy the next day when sweating during OT and still feeling a little bit of it on my ears.

Bout 30 minutes post exposure it felt like the worst sun burn of my life.    Other guys were still not able to drive about 2 hours after getting nuked.  2 guys still looked like crap the next day with bloodshot eyes.

I dont recommend a fan, if too strong it will blow the vapors right into your face and you will be inhaling the thing you are trying to avoid.    Our instructors always joked about using the hotel pool of aherever they went to be recertified as instructors, just kept swimming laps while stopping to drink from a beer after each lap.

Think it was LE10 we got hit with.   At least it was stream and not fogger.
View Quote
This.  Unless you want to know what having a Zippo lighter pressed against your junk feels like.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
We got sprayed right after lunch when I was at the DOC academy, then had 3 more hours of lecture.

By the time I got back to the hotel I was feeling ok so I just made sure to get on my knees in the shower with my head down so it didn't rinse down my asscrack.  Used whatever soap the hotel gave out for free.

Getting sprayed sucked worse than I thought it would but the shower after wasn't near as bad as I was told it was going to be(though that is likely because I didn't get to shower till 5 hours later).
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]
LE Bodyguard 10 was OK, Sabre Red was seasoning in a can - Phantom...the Devil's Farts. Holy crap does that stuff work. Get hosed with that and you will stop doing whatever it is you are doing.
Most worthless OC - pepperballs. Almost completely useless.
I've seen inmates sprayed with Phantom while naked - the results are...interesting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#23]
OP already went through the ordeal... but for future readers; Milk.

Capsaicin + Casein = neautralized

Basic science. Capsaicin binds to casein.

Capsaicin is the irritant in Oleoresin capsicum (OC)
About 80% of proteins is Casein in cow milk.

Many curries and other ancient dishes cook milk with hot peppers to bring down the scovilles and bring out the sweetness of the peppers.

“one man, one can”
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been exposed three times. Two times to military gas where they drop a pellet on a hot plate in a confined area and you only see a whiff of rising vapor that really starts the hot burn and uncontrolled running of heavy mucous from your nose. The last time was when my agency sprayed us in the face with OC spray for certification. That wasn't nearly as bad as the military strength stuff. I found that I could use my fingers to force an eyelid open so I could see the "bad guy" when hit with the OC spray. No way I could do that with the military gas. They did not use soap, just a water hose to wash us off. Was good to go after about 10 minutes with the OC spray and about 15-20 minutes for the military gas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Open your eyes afterwards.  That's what was hardest for me, air is the only thing going to stop the burning but I was in pain/too stubborn and just sat with my eyes closed forever lol.  it sucks bad but good to know what it feels like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top