Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 2:46:54 PM EDT
A while ago I was reading something about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. If I remember it correctly, when we deployed the nuclear weapons, it was predicted that the area would be uninhabitable for something like 70 years. However, the areas were resettled withing something like 30 days, as background radiation levels had returned to near normal by then. In the article, no explanation for this discrepancy was given.

So, can someone explain to me why the radiation levels dropped so quickly? Was it because the weapons were not as efficient as we had expected?

And would our current nuclear weapons perform in the same way, or have we improved their function/efficiency?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting question
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Magic
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing it was confusion between long-lived and short-lived fission product daughters.

Everything I've ever read about Manhattan and Trinity implies that these guys really didn't know much about the real character of the "dragon."  Hell, there were some involved who thought that a free atmosphere nuclear detonation would result in global scorching (IOW they thought the sky would burn).
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Magic

Were you a nuke?

Proud veteran of RP "Magic" and the "I believe" button.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm guessing it was confusion between long-lived and short-lived fission product daughters.

Everything I've ever read about Manhattan and Trinity implies that these guys really didn't know much about the real character of the "dragon."  Hell, there were some involved who thought that a free atmosphere nuclear detonation would result in global scorching (IOW they thought the sky would burn).

I've heard that when the Soviets detonated the 50 mt TSAR BOMBA, scientists were seriously afraid of earth's entire atmosphere igniting!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The main reason those areas are still inhabitable is that both weapons were air-burst.  If they had been ground-burst, people wouldn't be living there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top