Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:36:44 PM EST

The local shooting range closed about 6 months ago - due to a retirement. There is an indoor range in town, but they have strange hours and are limited to handgun only.

The old range had to make a killing being the only real game in town. They were always busy and had a strong base of both regulars and newbies. I can't believe an aspiring entrepreneur hasn't opened up a new one. There is plenty of demand and I know they'd be successful.

Anyway, what's the longest you've gone without shooting?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:37:24 PM EST
I have my own range.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:03 PM EST
sadly...probably about 3 months
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By itsARanchrifle:
I have my own range.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:39:31 PM EST
I love living on a big farm, I step out my sliding glass door and ring some steel with anything I want. Just ran a full beta mag through my AR with the help of my slide fire stock the other night.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:52:08 PM EST
come to the Northeast and know true frustration......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:52:08 PM EST

The city had the gun club range near town shut down because they built a school on the same road. All the members got together and set up a loan deal and purchased a large piece of land in the sticks and made really nice range.

Dues
$200 one time payment + $100 a year single, $150 per family
Must be or join the NRA
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:53:51 PM EST
I shoot off my mirror all the time. What is this "range" you speak of?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:57:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/19/2012 6:57:35 PM EST by Rem700PSS]
Do you own a car? Serious question.

Yes: I fail to see the problem.

No: My condolences.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:58:48 PM EST
I remember when I first moved here I looked all over the place for a decent rifle range and couldn't find one at first.

Then one day I got to talking to the guy at my local gun shop, and I found a very nice private club to shoot at.

The kicker: it is only two miles from my house, and I just never knew it was there because it is pretty well hidden if you don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:00:29 PM EST
Where in Texas are you finding a problem with a place to shoot?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:01:05 PM EST
I just shot today. Luckily, I have several to choose from.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:04 PM EST
This is in Lubbock, Texas. Yes I have a car. The closest rifle range is 2+ hours away now. Not practical at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:04:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By spentcase:

The local shooting range closed about 6 months ago - due to a retirement. There is an indoor range in town, but they have strange hours and are limited to handgun only.

The old range had to make a killing being the only real game in town. They were always busy and had a strong base of both regulars and newbies. I can't believe an aspiring entrepreneur hasn't opened up a new one. There is plenty of demand and I know they'd be successful.

Anyway, what's the longest you've gone without shooting?

I have nowhere within an hour's drive near me that it's worth wasting rifle ammo on. I have a few indoor ranges that I rarely go to around here (mostly because ammo is so fucking expensive... FBHO and Bernake).

And the reason a new range hasn't opened up is because of the code and liability nightmare that is owning an indoor range. Lawyers ruin everything fun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:06:23 PM EST
This is in Lubbock, Texas. Yes I have a car. The closest rifle range is 2+ hours away now. Not practical at all.

Checked in with your HTF? It's been my experience that in rural areas there are usually a lot of informal places to shoot if you just know the right people.... garbage dumps, old railroad tracks, dead end dirt roads, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:10:19 PM EST
Texas is all privately owned. My part of Texas is as flat as it gets. I don't know anyone with land.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:14:08 PM EST

Texas is all privately owned. My part of Texas is as flat as it gets. I don't know anyone with land.

Put together a business plan and make it happen, OP. Now is your chance to strike while the iron is hot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:19:06 PM EST
Every county I have ever seen in TX (except for say Bexar, Harris etc...) had a private group of people who had a range you could join for $35-$50. Sometimes you have to ask around as it's not well advertised and they shoot on one members property.
Top Top