Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2001 5:58:34 PM EDT
First let me say that I'm really "anal retentive" when it comes to my rifles.  I tend to baby them and treat them like they are made of glass.  As many of you know, I recently purchased a Springfield M1A and I even mounted a scope on it just last weekend.  I'm really excited to take it to the range tomorrow for the first time.  If you are still reading, here are my problems...
1.  I wanted to disassemble it and clean it so I can become familiar with the procedure so I can do it well after I shoot it.  I've broken it down into its three major groups... Trigger assembly, stock, and receiver.  I was able to remove the operating spring, but I couldn't get the damn op rod out.  I have plenty of docs that try to describe how to do it, but they are of no avail.  Do you guys have any handy tips?  2.  Also, for the past few years, I've only used bore snakes to clean my barrels, but with this beaut I want to use a single piece dewey.  Problem was, I couldn't get the patch into the muzzel and I was afraid to force it.  I was using patches that came with the M1A cleaning kit... do they need to be cut before being pulled through the jag?
3.  I've also noticed that I have to apply a substantial amount of force onto the trigger guard in order to get it to snap back into the holw on the trigger assembly... is this normal?
    I'm hoping that these problems are only "teething" problems and will get sorted out at my next attempt...

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The M-14 was not ment to be babied, my spotter carried one and he beat the shit out of it trying to get the trigger guard to lock in place.  However I know what you mean when you say you treat them like they were made of glass.  I have guns that are 35 years old, ( ones that I have purchased) that look new.
Shadowjack1
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
SA is using cast op rods now.
They are VERRY hard to get off.
A lot of the FH are tight or out of alignment and have to be reamed or straightened.
The trigger guard problem is prob OK.
Go to the M1A/M14 forum on www.gunandknife.com
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch FMJ, they show cruits cleaning their M14s.
What type of ammo are you going to be shooting?
I use Hirtenberger for plinking and Tactical/
3Gun Matches. I have to get some Match ammo
for the upcoming CMP match.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Hangfire...
I don't really know much about all of the different kinds of loads and Ammo, but I know that it is very important.  Unfortunately, I don't really have the money to spend big prices on the good quality or match ammo.  I recently bought a couple of boxes of 147 gr. FMJ Winchester... I wanted to get some 165 gr. stuff but my gun store was sold out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top