Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 6:29:09 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:32:16 PM EST
I'm all dizzy now
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:43:01 PM EST
How do you get permission to launch these balloons? The FAA regs lead one to believe its not legal to do this without going through their approval process.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:46:36 PM EST
funny. You know the geniuses at the Apple store just replaced one for me that never got dropped. They all agreed that the problem was IOS5.

And it was.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:57:00 PM EST
Well that's pretty cool, but notice that the attached camera had no protection at all and survived too?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:58:24 PM EST
It's not really a drop test when attached to a "fin" that causes it to gently spiral back to Earth.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:59:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By KiloBravo:
How do you get permission to launch these balloons? The FAA regs lead one to believe its not legal to do this without going through their approval process.

If you have to ask ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:06:56 PM EST
What's the point of 100k' ? After a couple hundred the thing would reach its terminal velocity. Oh the drama!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:09:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:12:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
What's the point of 100k' ? After a couple hundred the thing would reach its terminal velocity. Oh the drama!

You wouldn't have watched the video if they threw it off of the second floor balcony of your local Marriott.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:13:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By 03PSD:

I think they were relying on the balloon popping to have it drop rather than remotely dropping it at any height they wish, but i fast forwarded through the video so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:13:50 PM EST
Why all the cuts?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:51:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Spiral_Out:
Why all the cuts?

Time.... Takes a while to get it that high and back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:43:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Loe_307:
Why all the cuts?

Those aren't the cuts I'm talking about. How about the one when they're retrieving the fallen ipad and then they cut to one already in the guy's hands to "show" that it survived the fall... Why cut the video there?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:54:22 PM EST

Why all the cuts?

Those aren't the cuts I'm talking about. How about the one when they're retrieving the fallen ipad and then they cut to one already in the guy's hands to "show" that it survived the fall... Why cut the video there?

Or the cut from turning the iPad on, then releasing it...

m
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:57:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 9:02:22 PM EST by kayamana]
I agree with the cuts question. When they picked it up, it still had the Walt Disney screen... on screen. I would imagine it took a while to get up there, so maybe it was the closing credits, but somehow I doubt it... Also, it landed only 70 yards from where they were? That's not saying 70 yards from where they started. I would think a balloon traveling to space would be miles away from it's starting point when the object it was carrying did finally come down... Obviously I R not smart.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:59:14 PM EST

Why all the cuts?

BS flag all you want. I was talking about the ascend/descend cuts which was pretty obvious in my statement. The other cuts are open to scrutiny. I always have my doubts about stuff like this too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:21:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/7/2012 2:22:37 PM EST by Vault_Boy]
Originally Posted By KiloBravo:

I used to just fill them with helium and let them go. I used to be involved with the LDRS and we had to get clearance for our rockets, but it never occurred to me to get permission for a weather balloon.

ETA: Pic of my Christmas "tree". Sounding rocket nosecone.

Top Top