Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 11:18:20 AM EDT

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040913/bs_afp/us_auto_truck

US commercial truck maker touts "extreme" passenger truck

CHICAGO (AFP) - Move over Hummer, the monster truck is coming.

General Motors Corp.'s uber-sport utility, the Hummer, has been the biggest and baddest passenger truck on the US market to date, but it may soon be getting some outsized competition in the form of the CXT.

Modeled after commercial haulage trucks and dump trucks, the CXT will be the world's biggest production pick-up truck when it goes on sale later this year, its makers said Monday.

The brainchild of International Truck and Engine Corp., a manufacturer of commercial trucks and mid-range diesel engines, the CXT has been conceived of as a industry-worthy truck with some of the consumer comforts of passenger pick-ups.

The CXT combines towing, dumping and tilt bed capability with 220 hp and 540 lb.-ft. of torque. At six tons, its hauling capability is three times the payload of consumer pick-up trucks.

Buyers will be able to customise their new set of wheels with a leather interior with wood grain trim, reclining captain chairs, a fold-down bench that can be used as a bed, a DVD, and a rear-mounted camera for increased visibility behind the vehicle.

But none of this comes cheap: the truck will retail for 95-100,000 dollars -- about the double the price of a Hummer SUV.

The CXT is slated for a soft launch in the fourth quarter of this year, with a full roll-out in 2005, a spokesman for International Truck and Engine Corporation said Monday.

The company plans to build between 600 and 1,000 units next year at its plant in Garland, Texas and it's hoping that the vehicle will find customers among tradesmen like landscapers, carpenters, and brick or stone contractors, and home builders.

"The International CXT is a truck for businesses that want to promote themselves as much as perform," said Rob Swim, a spokesman for International Truck and Engine Corporation. "If you brought this truck to the playground, you'd be king of the dirt pile."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Its only a matter of time till its in a rap video
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have experience with this International vehicle--do not hit it! Its a trap! Buy an F650 instead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#3]
dupe, ibtl and all taht other stuff.

This was discussed yesterday
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have experience with this International vehicle--do not hit it! Its a trap! Buy an F650 instead.

Whats the deal with it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]

"The company plans to build between 600 and 1,000 units next year at its plant in Garland, Texas and it's hoping that the vehicle will find customers among tradesmen like landscapers rappers, carpenters basketball players, and brick or stone contractors record producers , and home builders pimps.

"The International CXT is a truck for businesses that want to promote themselves as much as perform," said Rob Swim, a spokesman for International Truck and Engine Corporation. "If you brought this truck to the playground, you'd be king of the dirt pile 'hood."

fixed now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
dupe, ibtl and all taht other stuff.

This was discussed yesterday

+1: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=274469
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Who's your daddy now
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the deal with it?

Interior is for shit, primarily. the enigne and tranny are a PITA too. Its a detuned 6.0L Navistar. Needs a bigger engine and more gear. SuperDuty/F-Series has a FAR superior interior.

By interior I dont just mean AC, although that was a one thousand dollar option and doesnt work, I mean the seat leaves you crippled at the end of the day. Also extremely cramped for a truck of this size.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
What a waste.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Gotcha, my bad.  It's late I need to go to bed.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks but no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
dooooooooooop
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
GM?

Did I mention its been in twice already for a rattling clutch--at 6k miles?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top