Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 6:56:58 AM EDT
Its a .50 cal

guncrafter%20industries.com/model_1.htm

$2895.00*  

The Model No.1 is pure 1911 all the way through. The external dimensions are the same as a standard 1911 and the Model No. 1 will fit holsters for standard 1911's. It will also accept a majority of 1911 accessories and components with little or no modifications.  The inside of the Model No. 1 has been re-engineered to accommodate the larger 50 GI cartridge and sports a beefy .50 cal. barrel and a very sturdy magazine of heat treated stainless steel.  Each pistol is personally built by Master Pistolsmiths Victor Tibbets and Alex Zimmermann, with great attention to fit, finish and reliability, it is in every sense a custom quality handgun. It is also a very accurate pistol and compares favorably to accurized 1911's in this aspect.

An often asked question is whether a customer can convert his own 1911 into a .50 cal. pistol by purchasing a barrel, slide etc, from Guncrafter Industries.

Unfortunately the answer is no. Serious re-engineering has taken place on both the frame, slide, magazine and barrel to create the 50 GI cal. Model No.1 pistol, and these main components of the pistol will no longer work in conjunction with std. 1911 frames, slides and barrels.

On the upside, Guncrafter Industries manufactures a conversion unit for the Model No. 1 that enables the user to shoot .45 ACP ammunition in the Model No. 1.

50 GI factory loaded ammunition is $14.25/box of 20.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
link broken...

Fixed

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Linking worked for me ?

Look at the dia of that barrel
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
wowsa!! I wonder whether you can hit anything with it!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Pffffffffffft !!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

From their site ;

The concept was to create a practical .50 caliber 1911 without unnecessary  bulk or weight, but with increased knock-down power.  Factory loads for the 50 GI typically drives a 300 grain bullet at 700 -725 fps, which translates into a 210 power factor.  This is achieved without loss of controllability.  Firing this load feels comparable to shooting a standard. 230 hard ball factory round.  However, the 50 GI is a very versatile cartridge and can be loaded to higher or lower levels, as desired.  

A power factor of 210 isnt that much I would like to give it a shot and see.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
50 GI factory loaded ammunition is $14.25/box of 20.

Uhm - no thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a solution desperately in search of a problem.

If you really want a big-bore semi-auto with more punch, just load your .45 with +Ps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you really want a big-bore semi-auto with more punch, just load your .45 with +Ps.

If you want more punch, you need a rifle not a handgun
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want more punch, you need a rifle not a handgun

Nothing wrong with this.  The .500 S&W is a big seller, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Or .45 Super.   (with the apropriate internal modifcations)

Ben, The Emu
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#11]
FPS goes down so bullet weight can go up...

I'll stick with .45 or 9mm, thank you...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
A real man would have a .50 BMG handgun...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Uh, no

The .50 size offers the ability to construct a hollow point bullet with a cavity that is both very wide and as importantly very DEEP while still keeping solid construction to avoid fragmentation and get proper expansion.

In theory the wide and deep cavity would first of all make the .50 more likely to expand properly in all conditions, regardless of barriers or clothing.  The extra mass would make it more likely to reach vital organs while expanding early and reaching a large expanded size.

Now this is only a theory, the cartridge is brand new, still really a wildcat, and needs development.  It especally needs a bullet designed for it not shared with the .50AE and .500 S&W that is designed to operate at nearly twice the speed.  

It is definently a cartridge that the ammo manufacturers should devote some effort into.

It follows a trend noticeable over the last 5 years or so that the best performing JHP bullets in any caliber are now generally found in the heaviest weights for the caliber.  It is simply easier to get better, and more importantly more CONSISTANT, performance from bigger bullets due to the designers having more space and material to play around with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i think i read an article on this gun in a g&a issue. accuracy was not bad. damn expensive, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]
something about a 300gr .50cal is cool
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
$2895.00*         hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#17]
This is a wonderful idea!

What we need is a handgun even more powerful than the .45 ACP that has even more recoil and muzzleblast, and where the ammo is far more expensive and far less available, and where the bullet launcher costs 3,000 dollars!!!

[/sarcasm]

The good old .45 ACP has been killing people quite well for about 100 years now. With new hollowpoint designs like the 230 grain Gold Dot, it is more effective than ever, despite the protestations of the people infatuated with that 33 grain monstrosity that is the FN pistol.

This weapon is a decent curiosity piece if you have money-a-plenty. Being a more modestly situated man, I have no time or money for such a pistol, though I am sure it is well made and accurate. It just isn't practical for me.

I wouldn't really feel much better armed with a .50 caliber pistol than I do with a .45. Either way I would still rather have a good rifle....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
$2895.00*        

You have never priced a cutom 1911 I take it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
9mm are for wimps.  Real men use .45's.  .50!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What we need is a handgun even more powerful than the .45 ACP that has even more recoil and muzzleblast, and where the ammo is far more expensive and far less available, and where the bullet launcher costs 3,000 dollars!!!

[/sarcasm]

The good old .45 ACP has been killing people quite well for about 100 years now. With new hollowpoint designs like the 230 grain Gold Dot, it is more effective than ever, despite the protestations of the people infatuated with that 33 grain monstrosity that is the FN pistol.

This weapon is a decent curiosity piece if you have money-a-plenty. Being a more modestly situated an, I have no time or money for such a pistol, though I am sure it is well made and accurate. It just isn't practical for me.

I wouldn't really feel much better armed with a .50 caliber pistol than I do with a .45. Either way I would still rather have a good rifle...

I heard the SAME PHRASES and I couldnt remember where I heard it. It almost was word for word.
Then it came to me.  

Early this year on a day trip. It was an actor at the site of a remake of the James Town settlement in Virginia.
His part was that of a Soldier in the New World He had a helmet and sword. He was speaking how they lived and died. He then spoke about his Matchlock VS a new Flintlock. He didn't see the new flintlock as a big plus. Almost word for word.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[/sarcasm]

This weapon is a decent curiosity piece if you have money-a-plenty. Being a more modestly situated man, I have no time or money for such a pistol, though I am sure it is well made and accurate. It just isn't practical for me.

I wouldn't really feel much better armed with a .50 caliber pistol than I do with a .45. Either way I would still rather have a good rifle....

You're either Jeff Cooper, or a student of his.

FWIW, I agree completely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

[/sarcasm]

Bad choice to make a joke.
Because it is NOT heavier than a .45,  it does NOT recoil more, and the only reason its expensive is that there is only one manufacturer on basicly a custom basis.

What is needed is is for one of the firearms manufacturers to give it a wring out and see if the bullet can be made to perfrom.  There is real potential here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Who cares?  There are already more than enough pistol calibers out there.  None of these new calibers do anything so much better than the existing ones to justify the premium prices.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Another stupid frigging wildcat that you have to special order ammo for and a couple years from now you wont be able to find at all.

Exactly.  Its 1911s "real ones" and 230 GI Hardballs for me. Ammo can be bought or reloaded for pennies on the dollar. To each his own. Some people will buy it though, but I could do alot with 3,000.00, so could my wife.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#26]
for that much $$$
you might as well get a barrett .50 BMG rifle

if not stick w/ 9mm,  .45 acp, .357 mag
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't realize the .45ACP cartridge had a problem with stopping power.....oh wait, it doesn't
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$2895.00*        

You have never priced a cutom 1911 I take it?

seriously. i've seen some 1911 custom jobs priced at well over $3,000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top