Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 10:49:43 PM EDT
[size=4]San Jose Woman Faces Prison For Hate Crime[/size=4]

[b]7/2/02[/b]

SAN JOSE -- A San Jose woman is facing more than three years in state prison now that a jury has convicted her of a hate crime for attacking a Middle Eastern motorist during a road rage confrontation last year, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office says.

Angel Ann Coley, 28, was found guilty Monday morning of committing a hate crime resulting in injury, hit-and-run causing property damage, threats to commit a crime resulting in death or great bodily injury, and battery.

The charges stem from a traffic incident that occurred in downtown San Jose in November.

The district attorney's office says Coley was in her car stopped at a red light on First Street at Julian Street behind another car driven by Mohammed Aram.

Although the light was red, Coley began honking at Aram to proceed into the intersection to make a right turn. When he failed to do so, she continued honking and made obscene gestures at him, prosecutors say, eventually plowing her car into his and pushing him into the intersection and onto Julian Street.

When Aram stopped his car on Julian Street, the 5-foot-2-inch Coley got of her car and approached Aram, who stands at over 6 feet and is described by prosecutors as "imposing looking.''

The district attorney's office said Coley yelled at Aram to "go back to his own country,'' before she spit in his face, punched him repeatedly and kicked his car. She called him a "foreigner'' and a "towel head'' and then threatened to go back to her car, get a gun and kill him, authorities said.

Aram rushed back to Coley's car and grabbed her keys because he feared for his life, but Coley continued to beat him, biting him on the hand, scratching him and kicking him twice in the groin, prosecutors say.

Eventually a third party arrived on the scene and told Aram to return Coley's keys so she would stop beating him. He did so, and Coley fled the scene, leaving no information.

Police tracked her down based on her license plate number and she was arrested on the four charges.

Coley faces three years and eight months in jail when she is sentenced on July 19.

[url]www.bayinsider.com/partners/ktvu/news/2002/07/2_hate_crime.html[/url]

--------------------

She must be commuting too much. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Kalifornians
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
But...but...WE ARE AT WAR!

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#6]
3 years in jail for what ? disorderly conduct and simple assult ? That is ridiculas.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Only three years?  She should get ten.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3 years in jail for what ? disorderly conduct and simple assult ? That is ridiculas.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I agree...  She should get a slap on the wrist because she is a woman and has been oppressed.  Woman beating on a man, no big deal at all.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
In a perfect world the guy would just kick her ass right back and that would be that. But since he can't, I think justice was served. Hell, she should get 3 years just for kicking him in the nards. Don't you guys remember how much that hurts? [BD]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
After reading the article again, I have come to the conclusion that the woman comitted a terrorist act.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like she took lessons from my ex-wife.

Do you have ANY idea how embarassing it is to have your mother-in-law use butterfly closures on your scrotum because you want to keep from going to a hospital with the attendant paperwork and police inquiry?  I was lying in bed when my then-wife inflicted the injury![shock]
View Quote

That sounds pretty nasty. [b][i]WHY[/i][/b], at the very least, didn't you turn her in?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Muslim or not, no man should have his nards abused.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:48:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If she were a guy she would have goten 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
MB:  This was in the great city of ShitCago, where a 6' former Marine armed security officer weighing 225# would immediately be arrested if any hint of domestic violence was found on the female Filipina, (5'0", 100#), such as finger marks on her wrist from where he tried to remove her nails from his nether regions.

In other words, I would have been found to have engaged in domestic violence.  I suppose I could have just let her rip Da Boys off, just to be politically correct.  Mom was a witness, but I certainly didn't think that I'd get a fair shake from our world-famous legal system.  At the very least, I would have lost my livelihood and right to possess firearms.  Isn't Lautenberg WONDERFUL?[whacko]
View Quote

Must remember - never move to Illinois. Never move to Illinois. Never move to Illinois. Never move to Illinois. Never move to Illinois...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]

PMS
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In other words, I would have been found to have engaged in domestic violence.  I suppose I could have just let her rip Da Boys off, just to be politically correct.  Mom was a witness, but I certainly didn't think that I'd get a fair shake from our world-famous legal system.  At the very least, I would have lost my livelihood and right to possess firearms.  Isn't Lautenberg WONDERFUL?[whacko]
View Quote

Hehe, "fair shake."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top