Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:03:40 AM EST
I live in ROCK HILL...............this Chickie was S-T-U-P-I-D !!!!!!!!!!

Shooting of 15-year-old girl holding BB gun called justified
By MEG KINNARD
Associated Press
Thursday, June 11, 2009
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jun/11/shooting_year_old_girl_holding_bb_gun_ca85629/

COLUMBIA — A 15-year-old South Carolina girl shot to death by police after a store robbery was holding a BB gun that looked like a 9 mm pistol, authorities said Wednesday, calling the officers' actions justified. The state said it wouldn't bring charges against the men.

Yvette Williams was shot to death by police last week, minutes after authorities say she robbed a grocery store in Rock Hill, about 25 miles south of Charlotte. Police have said two officers fired on the teen after she pointed a weapon at them and refused to drop it.

Solicitor Kevin Brackett reviewed video of the shooting taken from one of the officer's police cruisers, and he said there's no question the officers thought Williams was pointing a real gun at them.

"Nobody in their right mind would look at that and think, 'Oh, it might be a toy,' " said Brackett. "They had no choice."

Brackett's findings will be part of a report on the shooting being prepared by the State Law Enforcement Division, which is conducting the investigation into the shooting. Officers Carlos Culbreath and Claude McCarley have been placed on paid leave since the shooting.

SLED Chief Reggie Lloyd said Wednesday the investigation is complete and he wouldn't bring charges unless new evidence were to emerge.

Brackett said the officers fired about a dozen shots at the teen in three clusters: one after she initially pointed the weapon at them; another after she had hit the ground but sat up, still clutching the BB gun; and another after she had dropped the weapon but appeared to be trying to roll over on the ground and reach it with her left hand. She was hit with three bullets, he said.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:04:27 AM EST
Good shoot...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:05:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 11:06:35 AM EST by raysheen]
Clearly we need to ban BB guns, toy guns, and any replica guns so that this poor "victim" didn't die in vain.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:06:05 AM EST
Play stupid games win stupid prize one less in the gene pool
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:08:09 AM EST
what the hell is going on in Rock Hill? I was up there a couple years ago pretty often for work and it seemed nice and laid back...been reading a lot of stories that involve popo and them needing to shoot people lately.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:10:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 11:10:43 AM EST by PantherArms762]
Good riddance. Wanna be a gangsta, die like a gangsta.

ETA: Anyone got teh vid-yo
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:10:14 AM EST
12 shots, 3 hits? More range time needed
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:11:06 AM EST
Teen robbery suspect killed in SC police shooting
By MEG KINNARD – Jun 5, 2009

ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP) — A police chief said Friday he thinks officers were justified when they shot a 15-year-old girl suspected of robbing a store at gunpoint, comments that left the teen's relatives expressing outrage as they planned her funeral.

"She ain't nothing but a baby," Tia Williams said about her slain cousin. "She ain't even made it to 18 yet."

Yvette Williams was shot and killed Thursday afternoon moments after authorities say she robbed a grocery store in this community about 25 miles south of Charlotte, N.C.

Two officers fired on Williams after she pointed a gun at them and refused to drop it, Rock Hill Police Chief John Gregory said. He said he felt the police response was justified.

"I am satisfied with what I've seen thus far," Gregory said at a news conference Friday. "These officers have a great reputation in the Rock Hill Police Department."

Since Thursday's shooting, officers Carlos Culbreath and Claude McCarley have been placed on paid leave. The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.

Gregory refused to answer many questions Friday.

"It's a regrettable set of circumstances," Gregory said. "I can only imagine how the community feels about this."

York County Coroner Sabrina Gast has not said how many times the girl was shot.

At the grocery, an employee who was working at the time of the robbery said the teenager had a handgun tucked in the waistband of her denim shorts. He said he did everything to keep Williams calm.

"Don't pull the trigger," Lorenzo Wells, 28, said he told the teen, adding the suspect pulled out the gun and pointed it at the store manager. "She'll give you everything out of the register."

After saying "thank you" for the several hundred dollars the manager took from the register and shoving the gun back in her shorts, Williams left, walking and then jogging into the store parking lot, Wells said.

Moments later, he heard shots.

"All I know is I heard five shots," said Wells, who was on the phone with police at the time. "The first three were like, pop, pop, pop! And then maybe a couple seconds later you just heard, pop, pop."

In a nearby neighborhood where Williams lived, members of her large, closely knit family said they were in shock over the teen's sudden death and the police reaction to events.

"She didn't shoot at them," Tia Williams said of her cousin, adding the dead teenager was in the eighth grade. "Why did they shoot at her? ... If they wanted to just stop her, all they had to do is just shoot her in the leg or something."

Tia Williams, sifting through family photos while sitting on the stoop of the teen's home with several other cousins, said the 15-year-old was not a gang member and did not have a criminal record — but police had no comment on those matters, citing her age.

Williams' mother was making arrangements for a funeral likely to be held Tuesday, Tia Williams said.

Associated Press Writer Katrina A. Goggins contributed to this report from Columbia, S.C.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tia Williams,left, talks about her cousin outside of her home Friday, June 5, 2009 in Rock Hill, S.C. Yvette Williams a 15-year-old South Carolina girl killed by police after authorities say she robbed a store at gunpoint. Accompanying her are cousins Ladarious Williams, talking into a mirophone, and Tyreese Steele, standing, and brother Devon Taybron seated in background. (AP Photo/Mary Ann Chastain)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:12:46 AM EST
ummm, send them back to the range for more practice. She wasn't moving around and they fired a dozen shots for 3 hits? You have GOT to be kidding me. So they sent 12 bullets downrange to do who knows what... If that's considered acceptable accuracy they really have to reevaluate their standards. I could understand if she was shooting back, they were ducking behind cover, she wsa moving around a lot... But from the sound of it they basically just missed.

Oh well. As others said, in terms of shoot/no shoot it's a good shoot, no loss to the species when utter morons are removed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:13:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By PantherArms762:

I FULLY AGREE !!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:14:00 AM EST
My baby dint do nufin
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:14:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By psgt:
Play stupid games win stupid prize one less in the gene pool

This. Another one bites the dust
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:16:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By mountainsurvivor:
My baby dint do nufin

Damn you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:16:17 AM EST
The only think that's wrong with what the police did was firing a dozen shots and only hitting her 3 times.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:16:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By TUMOR:
Originally Posted By PantherArms762:

I FULLY AGREE !!!!

This
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:16:26 AM EST
lol they know what caliber the gun looks like even though its a bb gun
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:17:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Remyrw:
ummm, send them back to the range for more practice. She wasn't moving around and they fired a dozen shots for 3 hits? You have GOT to be kidding me. So they sent 12 bullets downrange to do who knows what... If that's considered acceptable accuracy they really have to reevaluate their standards. I could understand if she was shooting back, they were ducking behind cover, she wsa moving around a lot... But from the sound of it they basically just missed.

Oh well. As others said, in terms of shoot/no shoot it's a good shoot, no loss to the species when utter morons are removed.

True, but they did put a stop to the threat without hurting anyone else. So while you're right that it wasn't done as well as it could(should?) have been, the results of their shooting were effective.z

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:18:10 AM EST
Sad, but good shoot anyway.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:19:59 AM EST
"You'll shoot your eye out."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:26:01 AM EST
I'd say good shoot but they missed 75% of the time.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:27:35 AM EST
Robbed a store -> pointed what looks like a gun at popo -> died

Ummm where's the problem again?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:30:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
Sad, but good shoot anyway.

This
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:34:22 AM EST
Originally Posted By Justin-Kase:
Robbed a store -> pointed what looks like a gun at popo -> died

Ummm where's the problem again?

Yep. Looks like the problem took care of itself. Good shoot.

My only concern is with the officers who pulled the trigger. I hope that they don't second guess themselves and beat themselves up over doing what had to be done.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:06:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By Russkie:

Point something like these at me, you're liable to get yourself shot too.

They sure look like 9's to me.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/bretta_air_Pistols_pellets_guns_s/177.htm
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:16:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:

That was my first thought. Watch that thingy on the front of the slide, guys.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:23:12 PM EST
Wait, she uses a BB gun to scare the shit out of someone to rob them, but when gets shot herself for pointing it at the cops all of the sudden its a toy gun?
LOGIC FAIL!!
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:42:54 PM EST
Good shoot!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:45:15 PM EST
Where did the other 9 rounds go?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:50:35 PM EST
Good thing she didn't have a real gun; she may have shot one of her robbery victims or taken a good police officer with her.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:01:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:06:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 2:08:21 PM EST by Dumpster_Baby]
We had an even smarter perp here last night - drew down on 4 cops who promptly ventilated his ass numerous times.

Bye bye, Alfran.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:23:56 PM EST
Hey dumb fucks-point something that looks like a gun at someone else, don't fucking look for sympathy if you take a bullet in the eye socket.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:25:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 2:26:29 PM EST by nickmimi]
good shoot
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:43 PM EST
So profound when a criminal takes a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:04:49 PM EST
Tia Williams, sifting through family photos while sitting on the stoop of the teen's home with several other cousins, said the 15-year-old was not a gang member and did not have a criminal record — but police had no comment on those matters, citing her age....

She didn't shoot at them," Tia Williams said of her cousin, adding the dead teenager was in the eighth grade

I may be wrong but aren't most fifteen year olds in 10th grade and not 8th grade. She must not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:26:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:27:38 PM EST by Hendricks5150]
Originally Posted By bytor94:

Originally Posted By Russkie:

Point something like these at me, you're liable to get yourself shot too.

They sure look like 9's to me.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/bretta_air_Pistols_pellets_guns_s/177.htm

Oh snap yo, dat gat be smokin. Dat glock look like dat heat. Oooo snap, it gots a 18 bullet clip yo.

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Beretta_Elite_Air_Pistol_BB_Gun_p/ber2253003.htm
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:31:39 PM EST
Dumbass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:35:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 3:35:56 PM EST by DemonicLemming]
Originally Posted By Tralfaz:
Tia Williams, sifting through family photos while sitting on the stoop of the teen's home with several other cousins, said the 15-year-old was not a gang member and did not have a criminal record — but police had no comment on those matters, citing her age....

She didn't shoot at them," Tia Williams said of her cousin, adding the dead teenager was in the eighth grade

I may be wrong but aren't most fifteen year olds in 10th grade and not 8th grade. She must not have been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

A cousin of mine is 12 or 13 (can't recall off hand) and she'll be starting 8th grade this fall. I daresay Stick'em Up wasn't the most attentive student in class.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:36:39 PM EST
Good, few more years and she would have graduated to a bigger gun and maybe hurt someone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:39:30 PM EST
Stupid is supposed to hurt
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:40:11 PM EST
At least she didn't shoot anyone's eye out with that thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:54:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:
Teen robbery suspect killed in SC police shooting
By MEG KINNARD – Jun 5, 2009

ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP) — A police chief said Friday he thinks officers were justified when they shot a 15-year-old girl suspected of robbing a store at gunpoint, comments that left the teen's relatives expressing outrage as they planned her funeral.

"She ain't nothing but a baby," Tia Williams said about her slain cousin. "She ain't even made it to 18 yet."

Yvette Williams was shot and killed Thursday afternoon moments after authorities say she robbed a grocery store in this community about 25 miles south of Charlotte, N.C.

Two officers fired on Williams after she pointed a gun at them and refused to drop it, Rock Hill Police Chief John Gregory said. He said he felt the police response was justified.

"I am satisfied with what I've seen thus far," Gregory said at a news conference Friday. "These officers have a great reputation in the Rock Hill Police Department."

Since Thursday's shooting, officers Carlos Culbreath and Claude McCarley have been placed on paid leave. The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.

Gregory refused to answer many questions Friday.

"It's a regrettable set of circumstances," Gregory said. "I can only imagine how the community feels about this."

York County Coroner Sabrina Gast has not said how many times the girl was shot.

At the grocery, an employee who was working at the time of the robbery said the teenager had a handgun tucked in the waistband of her denim shorts. He said he did everything to keep Williams calm.

"Don't pull the trigger," Lorenzo Wells, 28, said he told the teen, adding the suspect pulled out the gun and pointed it at the store manager. "She'll give you everything out of the register."

After saying "thank you" for the several hundred dollars the manager took from the register and shoving the gun back in her shorts, Williams left, walking and then jogging into the store parking lot, Wells said.

Moments later, he heard shots.

"All I know is I heard five shots," said Wells, who was on the phone with police at the time. "The first three were like, pop, pop, pop! And then maybe a couple seconds later you just heard, pop, pop."

In a nearby neighborhood where Williams lived, members of her large, closely knit family said they were in shock over the teen's sudden death and the police reaction to events.

"She didn't shoot at them," Tia Williams said of her cousin, adding the dead teenager was in the eighth grade. "Why did they shoot at her? ... If they wanted to just stop her, all they had to do is just shoot her in the leg or something."

Tia Williams, sifting through family photos while sitting on the stoop of the teen's home with several other cousins, said the 15-year-old was not a gang member and did not have a criminal record — but police had no comment on those matters, citing her age.

Williams' mother was making arrangements for a funeral likely to be held Tuesday, Tia Williams said.

Associated Press Writer Katrina A. Goggins contributed to this report from Columbia, S.C.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5gTO2FiicCDItaer0eWEgVaBE8Lnw?size=l

Tia Williams,left, talks about her cousin outside of her home Friday, June 5, 2009 in Rock Hill, S.C. Yvette Williams a 15-year-old South Carolina girl killed by police after authorities say she robbed a store at gunpoint. Accompanying her are cousins Ladarious Williams, talking into a mirophone, and Tyreese Steele, standing, and brother Devon Taybron seated in background. (AP Photo/Mary Ann Chastain)

This tickles me when I read it...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:06:10 PM EST
Good shoot and sad story
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:10:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:
Good shoot and sad story

What is the sad part ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:10:40 PM EST
Sadly, it was a good shoot. Some BB guns do indact look real. As a kid (grew up in the 80's) I had a pellet gun, made of entirely metal, that looked like a government model colt .45. Unless you had it in your hand, you would not be able to tell the difference.

The 15 yr old did a very stupid thing and payed with her life. I feel bad for the officers invloved, they will probably second guess themselves for the rest of their lives over this situation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:16:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Remyrw:

Have you ever shot or shot at a human being that was shooting back at you or at least holding what you thought was a gun?
It is a little difficult to hit even a standing target when YOU are moving, ducking and trying not to expose yourself. On top of that the atricle says nothing about her simply standing there so you are guessing at that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:16:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
The only think that's wrong with what the police did was firing a dozen shots and only hitting her 3 times.

Nothing wrong with what they did.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Milquetoast:
Originally Posted By southeast_scrounger:

That was my first thought. Watch that thingy on the front of the slide, guys.

Good advice but a little hard to do with adreneline and everything else going on. Do you think the cops took their time and took careful aim or shot quickly while moving toward cover?
Top Top