Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 7:10:58 AM EDT
So yesterday morning I finally got around to replacing some facia on the garage. I had 32 ft of it to do with drip edge. now while working with 12 ft pieces of material by ones sslf is not an easy task it is doable. So the normal crap starts to go wrong: trying to get the board level and nail in place, dropping this and that from the ladder, sweating like a mofo etc.
On the second 12 ftr I start noticing bees flying around and didnt think much of  it, I was trying to get this piece of trim started. So as I am trying to get one nail in just enough to hold the board in place ( now visualize, on ladder 8ft from tera firma, hammer in one hand, board in the other and a mouth full of nails) this little messenger of satin lands and begins to sting my left arm. Now, this determined little bastard didnt just sting once but over and over again.
So with the lightning fast ninja type reflexes which I am known for I took the hammer in my right hand and started to smack my left arm where the bee was reaking havoc on my flesh. In doing so I killed the bee but the 12 ft piece of facia came tumbeling down scrapped the hell out of my leg, it hit the ground and bounced in such a way that it hit me square in the seeds Causing me to lose balance and fall from the ladder landing square on my ass. Damn I hate bees.
Now I dont know if the redness is from the sting or me wacking myself with the hammer but it happened 24 hours ago.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Now I dont know if the redness is from the sting or me wacking myself with the hammer but it happened 24 hours ago.

I would say it was from the hammer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Ouch!

Well, it's a bit late now, but to cut down on beesting swelling and whatnot, take a bag of tea (any kind will do; cheap works), put it under a running tap, and slap it on the sting...it'll stop the swelling.

Maybe it was revenge for trashing that last nest...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If indeed it was bees, then apply ammonia.
If it was wasps, apply vinegar, it will neutralize the venom.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to videotape yourself from now on.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#5]
gotta admire those lightning fast ninja type reflexes though!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/m-dc/Picture.jpg

I like your wall paint color.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....bounced in such a way that it hit me square in the seeds Causing me to lose balance and fall from the ladder landing square on my ass.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I, too, have nearly crushed my left humerus by whacking a bee (or maybe a wasp) with the side of a clawhammer to terminate an attack on my upper arm.

Sometimes the instincts are just too damned fast.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ouch!

Well, it's a bit late now, but to cut down on beesting swelling and whatnot, take a bag of tea (any kind will do; cheap works), put it under a running tap, and slap it on the sting...it'll stop the swelling.

Maybe it was revenge for trashing that last nest...

It probably was one of the homeless ones from the nest we took care of. In retrospect it probably is not such a good idea to play exterminator while
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now I dont know if the redness is from the sting or me wacking myself

Instant classic.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#11]
What's FACIA???

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#13]
you should have called Beekeeper1!

Or DevilsAdvocate!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What's FACIA???

The board that goes on the "face" of the roof directly below the shingles.  (The board you see.)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#15]
You think that's bad.

I got stung by a Yellow Jacket a few years back and my right forearm blew up like Popeye.

Freaky looking. Kinda like Hellboy.

No pic to prove it, but I looked extra strong.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd say your lucky. One of "them" stings me and the red mark is twice that size and parts of my body start going numb, usually the arms/legs/other protrusons. Makes for a good excuse to lay on the couch but that is all I am doing all day then!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I sense a "quote of the day" in the hometown foums
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I sense a "quote of the day" in the hometown foums

Que? What did I say?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If indeed it was bees, then apply ammonia.
If it was wasps, apply vinegar, it will neutralize the venom.

Onions work well too!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So yesterday morning I finally got around to replacing some facia on the garage. I had 32 ft of it to do with drip edge. now while working with 12 ft pieces of material by ones sslf is not an easy task it is doable. So the normal crap starts to go wrong: trying to get the board level and nail in place, dropping this and that from the ladder, sweating like a mofo etc.
On the second 12 ftr I start noticing bees flying around and didnt think much of  it, I was trying to get this piece of trim started. So as I am trying to get one nail in just enough to hold the board in place ( now visualize, on ladder 8ft from tera firma, hammer in one hand, board in the other and a mouth full of nails) this little messenger of satin lands and begins to sting my left arm. Now, this determined little bastard didnt just sting once but over and over again.
So with the lightning fast ninja type reflexes which I am known for I took the hammer in my right hand and started to smack my left arm where the bee was reaking havoc on my flesh. In doing so I killed the bee but the 12 ft piece of facia came tumbeling down scrapped the hell out of my leg, it hit the ground and bounced in such a way that it hit me square in the seeds Causing me to lose balance and fall from the ladder landing square on my ass. Damn I hate bees.

I really don't like laughing at anothers mishaps.

That being said I would like to thank you,after the day I had today the water spewing forth from my mouth and nose as I laughed my ass off was really needed.

You sir are a great person!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't like laughing at anothers mishaps.

That being said I would like to thank you,after the day I had today the water spewing forth from my mouth and nose as I laughed my ass off was really needed.

You sir are a great person!

Thanks, if I can lighten your day at my expense thats OK, as a matter of fact thats why I posted it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I, too, have nearly crushed my left humerus by whacking a bee (or maybe a wasp) with the side of a clawhammer to terminate an attack on my upper arm.

Sometimes the instincts are just too damned fast.

I've done the very same thing.....Only I dind't have a hammer, I had an empty beer bottle.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#23]
All you need to add is an aluminum ladder hitting the electrical line for the house.

Zzzttt goes bee#1
WHAM goes the hammer
Thunk goes the facia
SMASH go the nuts
AGGGHHH goes Mr. Fixit
SCRREEECH goes the ladder sliding
ZZZZZZRRRRRTTTTTTT goes the electrical line
SPLAT goes Mr. Fixit
Then...
Zzzttt goes bee#2
Zzzttt goes bee#3
Zzzttt goes...

Seriously, I have been hammered in the eye(!) by hornets working on the roof of the house.  Not fun.

Thanks for the laugh.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Boyz R Dumb.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Could have been a $10,000 winner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Boyz R Dumb.

Alright girly girl, what would you have done?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It probably was one of the homeless ones from the nest we took care of. In retrospect it probably is not such a good idea to play exterminator while

No shit!

Still fun tho

Had me gigglin for a while
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Benedryl is the best thing for bee or wasp stings. Pop 1 or 2 25 MG capsules right afterwards and the histimine blocker will keep the poisen from getting to the receptors. Sounds wierd but if I take 2 of them, [bit AGAIN today on the hand.yellow jacket] right afterward it'll be gone within an hour, if I don't it'll swell up and itch like hell. I buy the genaric stuff, 3 bucks something for 24 capsules.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Benedryl is the best thing for bee or wasp stings. Pop 1 or 2 25 MG capsules right afterwards and the histimine blocker will keep the poisen from getting to the receptors. Sounds wierd but if I take 2 of them, [bit AGAIN today on the hand.yellow jacket] right afterward it'll be gone within an hour, if I don't it'll swell up and itch like hell. I buy the genaric stuff, 3 bucks something for 24 capsules.

I use Vodka and fine Dominican cigars.

Where is that smiley with the sombrareo (sp)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well work with natural gas and keep smokin that cigar, sooner or later you will realize you ARE the cigar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well work with natural gas and keep smokin that cigar, sooner or later you will realize you ARE the cigar.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boyz R Dumb.

Well, I WOULDN'T Have swatted at bees with a frekkin' HAMMER!

Once I saw a "few" bees flying around, being the country girl I am, I would probably have figured to myself "ok, something's pissing off these varmints".  And I would have gotten the heck out of there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boyz R Dumb.

Once I saw a "few" bees flying around, being the country girl I am, I would probably have figured to myself "ok, something's pissing off these varmints".  And I would have gotten the heck out of there.

Cut me some slack I had work to do, the sad set of events was unavoidable, gravity combined with phyisics can be a bitch
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boyz R Dumb.

Cut me some slack I had work to do, the sad set of events was unavoidable, gravity combined with phyisics can be a bitch

Awww...I'm just busting on ya.  But you have to admit, hitting your arm with a hammer to swat away a bee was pretty silly.

Hope you're doing better.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boyz R Dumb.

Awww...I'm just busting on ya.  But you have to admit, hitting your arm with a hammer to swat away a bee was pretty silly.

Hope you're doing better.

I am fine thanks, and yeah it was stupid but you know I thought about it before I swung the hammer, seemed like a good idea at the time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Now see, that's all perfectly understandible misfortune.. I mean it's not like you did the "sear test" stoned with a loaded gun while driving or anything.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The people I have told the story to said the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]
First of all, OW.

Second of all, why the hell wasn't this on tape?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top