Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2004 7:59:34 AM EST

www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=1638&u_sid=1199086

Suspect jumps bail, winds up in sticky situation

BY JOHN FERAK
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

An Omaha man who jumped bail in Iowa was delivered to the Harrison County Jail - beaten and wrapped in duct tape - by the woman who originally posted his bail, authorities said.

The woman now sits in the jail, accused in the beating, and might not get her money back.

The Omaha woman forfeited $5,000 after the man failed to appear at a court hearing on an attempted burglary charge, Sheriff Terry Baxter said Thursday. A warrant was issued for his arrest.

But authorities said someone else got to him first.

Baxter said when the man came to the woman's house late Wednesday, he was beaten, blindfolded and put in the back seat of a car. He was then driven about 35 miles to the jail in Logan, Iowa.

The man was found when a Logan police officer was called to the jail about 11 p.m. on what sounded like a routine call: Someone had dropped off a fugitive.

When the officer arrived, he found the man in a car parked outside the jail.

"He was in the back seat, completely restrained in duct tape, all across his head and facial area," Baxter said. "He looked like he had been beat up pretty badly."

The man was treated a hospital and returned to the jail.

While authorities were pleased Thursday to have the burglary suspect in custody, they weren't giving out any pats on the back.

The woman and an Omaha man were arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment, serious assault, and aiding and abetting a fugitive.

Omaha police were aiding the investigation. Officers said there may be more suspects.

"In 26 years in law enforcement, I've never seen anything like this," Baxter said. "You might say it was vigilante justice, but this isn't the proper way to handle anything."
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:47 AM EST

I wouldn't have paid bail anyway. I would have visited him and sasid "tough luck, you fucked up" and left.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:11:02 AM EST
It was a felony to jump bail. I would imagine false imprisonment charges wouldn't stick. Battery charges - yes, I'd think so.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:34 AM EST
So why should she be in jail. She made a citizens arrest and was forced to defend herself when he resisted.

She should get her money back plus some.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:35:55 AM EST
How is this any different than a bail bondsman having a skip tracer track down a bail jumper?

If I recall correctly, agents acting under the authority of a bail bondsman have a little more leeway than might be expected in situations. Since she posted bail for him, wouldn't it be within her legal right to detain the fugitive and deliver him to the authorities?

If he resisted and got beat down, oh well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:39:09 AM EST
None of the serious charges will stick. Battery maybe, but it's an affront to justice if they do.

Sounds like the police just didn't like a citizen doing their job for them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:39:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 8:40:26 AM EST by fight4yourrights]

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

"In 26 years in law enforcement, I've never seen anything like this," Baxter said. "You might say it was vigilante justice,

but this isn't the proper way to handle anything."

This the BEST way to handle it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:43:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
Sounds like the police just didn't like a citizen doing their job for them.

YOU GOT IT! And this pissed me off. Just because a citizen actually gets the job done, is NO reason to punish them. This was NO case of vigilante justice. She simply delivered the man to the judicial system. He wouldn't have gone willingly, so he needed to be subdued and restrained. I completely FAIL to see how that should be against the law. Maybe some LEO here will splain that to me...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:47:30 AM EST

The woman and an Omaha man were arrested on suspicion of false imprisonment, serious assault, and aiding and abetting a fugitive.

False imprisonment and assault =equals= aiding and abetting? WTF?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:49:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By parshooter:

False imprisonment and assault =equals= aiding and abetting? WTF?

False imprisonment? By returning a Bail Jumper? WTF
Top Top