Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 8:41:21 AM EDT

I love the last line.

Cremated man's ashes make crash landing in woman's attic
Associated Press
September 2, 2004 ASHES0903

FOREST GROVE, Ore. -- An unwelcome guest recently crashed into Barbara Vreeland's home: the cremated remains of a Washington man.

The 46-year-old man died of natural causes in June. He wanted to be cremated and have his ashes scattered over Mountain View Memorial Gardens, a cemetery near Vreeland's home, Forest Grove police Capt. Aaron Ashbaugh said Tuesday.

Family members told police the bag of ashes slipped as they were circling the cemetery in a small plane they had hired for the day.

The 4-pound bag crashed through Vreeland's roof and landed in the attic.

``It really rattled our place,'' said Vreeland, who was at her kitchen sink when the ashes hit the roof. ``It wasn't a little bump - it shook the house.''

Vreeland's roof is being fixed and the man's family is paying for the damage.

``I understand the man wanted to be with his (deceased) relatives,'' Vreeland said.

``I feel for those people. But I think some of their relative is still in our attic.''
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top