Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/8/2006 6:42:51 PM EDT
Got in a disscusion today at work with a women about cats. She is a cat owner that has three cats.
I brought up my dog on how loyal he is and loves the family. And she goes off on how her cats are the same.
I gave her a example if if her cats were magicly overnight transformed to weigh let say two hundred pounds they would look at you like you were prey,and most likely kill you. Cats really have no loyalty to the owners they tolerate them  
does anyone disagree
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
guess its a good thing we dont live in an age of size increasing ray guns huh?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Read my sig.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
guess its a good thing we dont live in an age of size increasing ray guns huh?

What can I say it's a slow night
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
if cats had opposable thumbs they would rule the world
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

And we would be their tasty slaves.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I always say that cats only know you when they're hungry.

I give my daughter a hard (kiddingly) time about her two cats.  She says they are smart, I counter by asking how many cats do you see riding in a police car; or how many cats help track down a lost child; or how many cats do you see searching for victims buried beneath an earthquake's rubble?  You only hear about the cat stuck in a tree having to be rescued by the fireman...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got in a disscusion today at work with a women about cats. She is a cat owner that has three cats.
I brought up my dog on how loyal he is and loves the family. And she goes off on how her cats are the same.
I gave her a example if if her cats were magicly overnight transformed to weigh let say two hundred pounds they would look at you like you were prey,and most likely kill you. Cats really have no loyalty to the owners they tolerate them  
does anyone disagree

You're argument is flawed because people don't own cats, cats own people.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I give my daughter a hard (kiddingly) time about her two cats.  She says they are smart, I counter by asking how many cats do you see riding in a police car; or how many cats help track down a lost child; or how many cats do you see searching for victims buried beneath an earthquake's rubble?  You only hear about the cat stuck in a tree having to be rescued by the fireman...

your argument may be an illustration of precisely how smart they are - they STILL get fed just like the dogs in your examples, but they don't have to WORK for it like those chumps.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
sure but they are fun to put in bags and watch them panic then let them out and when they think they are safe put them back in again, oh and laser pointers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Cats have their place. In the middle of a busy street. Ha.  Seriously, I love cats. With gravy!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL earlier today my 5 month old boxer pup gave my GF's cat the smack down. Cat attempted to hold what little of the house it still controlled . Dog was laying on the floor taking a nap and the cat tried to ambush him. He sprung up and landed a perfect right hook with his paw. Now the cat walks around the house in constant fear. He has to sneak around just to take a dump in his litter box the puppy thinks hes a new playtoy after that little stunt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I enforce the half mile rule,a cat not within half mile of a farm is fair game
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This sums it up...

Cat Diary
DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.
DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.
DAY 762 - Slept all day so that I could annoy my captors with incessant, sleep depriving pleas for food at ungodly hours of the night.
DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan...
DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called “shampoo.” What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.
DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call “beer.” More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of “allergies.” Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.
DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The Bird on the other hand has got to be an informant. He has mastered their frightful tongue (something akin to mole speak) and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time .

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Which is smart a cat or dog.

A dog can be taught to sit, fetch, roll over, shake...ect.  A cat will just stare at you.

If you say that proves dogs are smarter well what happens when I tell you to sit?  You would just stare at me...so that would also mean you are dumber than your dog!  Cats can be taught tricks too they just chose not to do them.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat.  He has multiple opportunities per day to escape, and he keeps coming back.  When I came back after Christmas and New Years after being away for a while (I got the Ukranian couple who are my housemates to take care of him - the girl LOVES him) he was happy as hell to see me.  He's not a dog, but he's hardly indifferent to my presence.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Dogs have masters.

Cats have staff.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

your argument may be an illustration of precisely how smart they are - they STILL get fed just like the dogs in your examples, but they don't have to WORK for it like those chumps.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A dog can be taught to sit, fetch, roll over, shake...ect.  A cat will just stare at you.

If you say that proves dogs are smarter well what happens when I tell you to sit?  You would just stare at me...so that would also mean you are dumber than your dog!  Cats can be taught tricks too they just chose not to do them.  

mine would just try to eat me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe this is when we should start a PC vs. Mac diversion.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
A dog is a pack animal and will try to please their leader because it is in their instinctive make-up to do so.  A cat is a solitary animal and will co-habitate with humans because it serves their needs to do so.  They can be very affectionate and can also learn tricks very well, but their motivations are completely different from a dog's.

A cat serves himself.  A dog serves the pack.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry Niven would disagree with you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry Niven would disagree with you.

Pfff - he's obviously a dog person.  

The worst thing is that I am such a nerd, I immediately knew what you were referring to.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Dogs have masters Cats have staff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Men who own cats and dont have dogs are most likely VERY gay.

Its ok to have both but if you just have a cat, you have homoerectis.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Dogs are Jerry Lewis.
Cats are Frank Sinatra.

Every cat knows it's name.  
It sounds just like a can opener.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I know it's a kid's movie but if you get a chance, watch Cats & Dogs, and you'll laugh your ass off.

ninja......CAT!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I give my daughter a hard (kiddingly) time about her two cats. She says they are smart, I counter by asking how many cats do you see riding in a police car; or how many cats help track down a lost child; or how many cats do you see searching for victims buried beneath an earthquake's rubble? You only hear about the cat stuck in a tree having to be rescued by the fireman...

How many cat skeletons have you seen in trees?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Cats suck.

Only slightly more than the weird-assed folks who dedicate their lives catering to their pet's every whim.

Dogs rule.

Eric The(RuffRuff)Hun
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#31]
The only good cat is a free cat.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My cat sits for treats...  My aunt's two cats not only use the toilet but also flush.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#33]
45 vs. 9mm

1911 vs. Glock

Dog vs. Cat

G
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#34]
A girl I work with, told me her cats were better than my dog. Vecause, according to her, they have better "self-preservation" instincts than a dog, after I said dogs are loyal and protective, cats are needy and elitist.

Her reason?

If I died in my home, my dog would curl up next to me and die also after a few days if no one came aand found me.

BUT, her cats, if she died.... would live on cause they would eat her dead body to survive.

Yeah, that makes me want to run out and get cats.  

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Cats tolerate humans because they can't operate the can opener.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A girl I work with, told me her cats were better than my dog. Vecause, according to her, they have better "self-preservation" instincts than a dog, after I said dogs are loyal and protective, cats are needy and elitist.

Her reason?

If I died in my home, my dog would curl up next to me and die also after a few days if no one came aand found me.

BUT, her cats, if she died.... would live on cause they would eat her dead body to survive.

No Expert

Sorry, not true!!  www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dog+eats+owner
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My wife and I have three cats and I am most likely very straight.  I do not, however, have time for a dog at the moment.  Cats take care of themselves.

And now they're very well trained.  Thanks to the spraybottle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The problem with cats is that they will always be cats.

Threads like this make me miss Sarge.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Yea... well a dog cant make that little motorboat purring sound
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
does anyone disagree

You don't know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My fallback response to this argument, every time, is how many cats do you see eating dog shit?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

yeah, that's very scientific.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My fallback response to this argument, every time, is how many cats do you see eating dog shit?

That's your 'fallback' response to the argument, every time?

What's your initial response to the argument?

Eric The(Interested)Hun
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Her reason?

No Expert

Sorry, not true!!  www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dog+eats+owner

I can see how they'd maybe eat selected portions of a deceased woman...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's your 'fallback' response to the argument, every time?

What's your initial response to the argument?

Eric The(Interested)Hun

Poor choice of words, perhaps.  What I meant is when I'm late getting to the game and all other arguments, or variations of them, have been taken.  

Relax, I have a dog, too.  She's quite smart but I HAVE seen her eat cat crap.  I've caught her eating it right out of their butts .  Never seen the cats go anywhere near dog crap.  That tells me which one is slightly smarter overall.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Smart dog, sometimes it is an oxymoron.

The neighbor's dog used to eat the whole bag of cat crap and litter clumps set outside, didn't care for the plastic bag though.   Don't think that bentonite does a dog's intestinal tract much good.  Haven't seen that dog around lately.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Woman with 3 cats  =  psycho bitch with lots of issues.

I hate those goddamn things (cats, I mean).
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Wife had been in the pet business (vet tech,retail,etc) for decades.Says the above is true 80% + of the time.
ETA: Got 16 my best year!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#49]
NO my sports team is better than yours!

Wait I mean Macs are better then PC

No I mean .45 kicks the shite out of 9mm.

Wait which argument are we on again.

/loves both, but doesn't have a dog due to space limitations in the Apt. Plus I just don't have the time to walk it as much as I should.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I have 2 dogs and a cat.  Not just any cat, a barn cat.  This crazy lil fucker kills for the joy.  So far he has killed, 3 squrrels, an owl, 2 Copperheads, 4 cotontail rabbitts, another cat he didnt like,untold numbers of mice, rats, llizards and gecos.  God knows what else.  I have no problem keeping him around.  His name is Evil.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top