Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 4:26:28 PM EDT
What the hell every time I shoot more than 60 rds of wolf in my ak I get a nose infection the next day. The infection usually lasts about 2 days. This has just started to happen recently. Could it in fact be the muzzleloaders at the range now (It is like fucking Gettysburg with the smoke)?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was at the range a few weeks ago, and my eyes started burning while I was there.  It's a private range that is owned by the company I work for.  Our local PD uses it for practice.  After a little while I noticed a big whitish patch that looked like a burn mark or fine power.  Then I realized they must have been practicing with pepper-gas canisters or something.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You must be allergic
to the dog hair
in the primers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
huh, dog Hairs I THOUGHT SO....What kind of dog anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That crap reeks of ammonia when fired. Maybe you are allergic to the fumes?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quit stickin' the bullets up your nose!
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
 Why Russian WOLF hound of course!!

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chuck
View Quote

[puke][rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, I was firing some Russian Barnul ammo last weekend and noticed that it reeeeeked of ammonia. What's up with that? I had to blow my nose a million times an hour for three days after.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know, I was firing some Russian Barnul ammo last weekend and noticed that it reeeeeked of ammonia. What's up with that? I had to blow my nose a million times an hour for three days after.
View Quote

It's probably there to counteract their corrosive primers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Winchest Q3131A smells like amonia as well when fired.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
It must be the amonia or at least some irritant that gets in my nose from the powder. In the shower I just snorted some water and that helped a lot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]
You can't get an infection from just chemicals.  You need some sort of bacteria or virus to get an infection.  Irritation, sure.

FWIW, at our club's open house last Sunday, I let people fire my AR from a bench while I was giving minimal instruction from the right side of the rifle.  We fired maybe 250 - 280 rounds of Barnaul 55 grain .223.  I lost count.  I sucked a lot of Barnaul fumes that day & I'm doing it again later today.  Yes, it smells like ammonia.  No adverse effects.

No, their primers are not corrosive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Chuck
View Quote

Oh man.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What the hell every time I shoot more than 60 rds of wolf in my ak I get a nose infection the next day. The infection usually lasts about 2 days. This has just started to happen recently. Could it in fact be the muzzleloaders at the range now (It is like fucking Gettysburg with the smoke)?
View Quote

You wouldn't have a Y comp on your barrel do you?  I have a mini Y on my m4gery and I get a blast of love smoke every round I shoot.  It is amazing I haven't got one yet.  It can't be good for you, but it smells soooooo good.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I've noticed that same thing except if I do a lot of shooting or use a lot of solvent cleaning my guns my right nostril starts to bleed.  Damn if I know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top