Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2009 4:34:44 PM EST
I just bought a laptop that has it installed. In the past i Have heard it is a resource hog. Should I keep it or lose it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:48:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:53:32 PM EST
I had it on a PC years ago. PC crashed constantly. I took off the Norton and it ran like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:07:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 2:45:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:54:40 AM EST
Bit Defender 2009.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:58:45 AM EST
Kill it with fire.

When Norton Utilities first appeared on the scene, it was a revolutionary PC toolkit that saved plenty of hard drives' data.

Now, it's bloatware for dummies.

There are far better internet security programs out there. And plenty of other disk recovery options as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 3:58:54 AM EST
Lose it but make sure you replace it immediately with a quality antivirus.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:25:23 AM EST
I've heard Norton 09 is worlds better than earlier releases. Anyone able to actually confirm or deny anything about Norton 09?
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:46:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Joe_Blow:
I've heard Norton 09 is worlds better than earlier releases. Anyone able to actually confirm or deny anything about Norton 09?

I've heard 09 GM vehicles are worlds better than earlier years; I don't believe that one either.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 5:31:22 AM EST
Touche.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 7:01:36 AM EST
I heard Kaspersky was good, any truth to that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 2:59:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
Norton Removal Tool

greatest tool known to man

No doubt. Symantec is well known for destroying any software they acquire. Ditch the Norton and get AVG Free. Smaller footprint and more effective anti-virus solution...oh and free too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 3:01:03 AM EST
It is good on server end applications but I wouldn't use it on the desktop. My OpenBSD firewall uses Kaspersky as an inline AV to filter web traffic as it enters the internal network.
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 4:16:11 PM EST
only norton app I still use is ghost, and it's a version from a few years ago
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 12:53:59 PM EST
Want to see something horribly wrong? Install Norton AV and McAfee AV on the same machine. It's like dumping two colonies of ants in a glass jar.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 12:57:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By PBIR:
Lose it but make sure you replace it immediately with a quality antivirus.

Suggestions please.

thx

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 1:00:07 PM EST
Yup...no problems here.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 1:07:40 PM EST
Norton sold his company to Symantec like 20 years ago, I can't believe they still use his name.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 7:32:57 PM EST
get rid of it and quick - they say they have fixed earlier problems and one of them being a resource hog, and they have somewhat. but in the wake of fixing some problems they have created more. from what i have seen with norton recently is sometimes without letting you know it will block all internet access. it will mark the network your attached to at the time as a untrusted network and will block all network communication. you will get a good local ip but cannot do anything past that, ping, browse, etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 6:48:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By incideagent:
get rid of it and quick - they say they have fixed earlier problems and one of them being a resource hog, and they have somewhat. but in the wake of fixing some problems they have created more. from what i have seen with norton recently is sometimes without letting you know it will block all internet access. it will mark the network your attached to at the time as a untrusted network and will block all network communication. you will get a good local ip but cannot do anything past that, ping, browse, etc.

my dell laptop had norton on it and I had a similar problem but it was only DNS requests that it blocked. I could surf by IP address (I would do the dns lookup on another pc)
disabled norton and dns would work fine. re-enable and it stopped
needless to say I uninstalled norton
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:02:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By gnudude:
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
Norton Removal Tool

greatest tool known to man

No doubt. Symantec is well known for destroying any software they acquire. Ditch the Norton and get AVG Free. Smaller footprint and more effective anti-virus solution...oh and free too.

AVG here as well. It was highly recommended by all hardcore computer and networking whizzes that I know.

We have had it for almost a year and it is GTG.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 1:04:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 1:06:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 8:09:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Helldog40:
Originally Posted By eracer:

When Norton Utilities first appeared on the scene, it was a revolutionary PC toolkit that saved plenty of hard drives' data.

Ain't it the truth....Except for Ghost, I wouldn't recommend Norton for anything.
I wouldn't even recommend them for that, since there are free tools that do the same thing.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 10:09:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2009 10:16:52 PM EST by kaos]
I used to use Norton since dos 5 and Win3.1. It was still good as Norton Desktop when Win95 came out.

Nowadays? Not so much.

I swear by ESET NOD for virus protection and 'Auslogics Boostspeed' for all the disk utilities, it's a pretty good defragger.

http://www.eset.com/

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/boost-speed

I still used Norton File Mangler from one of the earlier suites until MS reclaimed some of the hooks in Vista they told everyone not to use, and then I was out a file manager. I hate Windows explorer and never found a replacement. I thought Accelman was going to work, but it never panned out for management, so I got no recommend there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 10:11:56 PM EST
avast, winclam, avg, kispersky(sp)

Go to download.com and look at the top downloads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:37:32 AM EST
The best out there is ESET NOD 32. Forget Norton/Symantec. They are living on an old reputation that is no longer deserved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:49:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Subnet:

Ain't it the truth....Except for Ghost, I wouldn't recommend Norton for anything.
I wouldn't even recommend them for that, since there are free tools that do the same thing.

Yep, Clonezilla FTW.

OP, I recommend the free version of either AVG or Avast antivirus.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:41:41 PM EST
I haven't used norton for years because even with lots of memory it slows your pc to a crawl. I've been sold on Kaspersky for a long time now and have had no issues. I read with interest however a review of Norton 2010 by Cnet. They claim that Norton is back and that they have fixed their system resource hog issues. Anyone considering giving it a go or is Cnet just a glorified paid cheerleader?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 7:44:21 AM EST

Not a fuggin chance in hell I use Symantec or Norton products. ET may phone home, but it won't be from my telephone.

"Symantec has more than 900 employees in the Greater China Region spread across offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Taipei, and continues to invest in this important market. In March 2008, Symantec announced the opening of its second R&D site, the China Development Center (CDC) Chengdu campus, in China. The CDC Chengdu campus is a significant addition to Symantec's R&D efforts in China, and will have the capacity to house more than 1,000 staff, when completed in 2009. "

http://www.symantec.com/en/hk/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20081127_03

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 10:45:37 AM EST
There is no way I will ever have a Norton installed again.

Period.

It doesn't matter if they've fixed "this" version, their track record is so bad they can never be trusted in my book.

Put it this way: Symantex can make Vista look like a well thought out, efficient, elegent solution.

It really is that bad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:34:26 PM EST

I use it....I like it. ZERO comparison to the old days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:42:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:12:40 AM EST

I will not even use it for that since Vista and Windows 7 include image X and Apple allows the creation of images through the disk utility. Pointless software in this day and age.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:41:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2009 11:32:55 AM EST by Intelguy01]
Originally Posted By Intelguy01:

orly.... my uncle just received a new toshiba laptop last week from his daughter for his birthday. they tried for 2 weeks on and off trying to get the computer connected to their wireless network. i went over verifed the wpa key (easy if you know anything about wifi networks) but it would NOT get online. uninstalled NIS 09 and the machine connected with no other changes.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE that a home user would buy a product and it would not connect to the INTERNET right out of the box.

very common problem

Yeah, I agree...that would rustle my feathers, too. However, I recently purchased a new HP running 64bit and it fired right up and connected with zero problems. Possibly Toshiba is adding software that has yet to be tuned/tested to the system that they're putting it in??? Some manufacturers buy MOBOs and then "tweak" them for their own reasons...I know eMachines was infamous for doing this. Just a thought. But back to the OP's question...Norton '09 smokes the old Norton that I knew and hated. Since my new PC came with it, I figured that after I created my BU disks...heck, why not see if the advertising really meant anything. I could always re-load, right? (I like to reload soon after purchase anyway...just in case there's a problem and I need to get some $$$ back or swap out a lemon PC). Anyway, I'm speaking from recent experience, just as you are. I was very happy with the new program's "you'll never know it's running" feature. I'm guessing that most people have had negative success with Norton, but to each his own. Opinions vary as much as avatars around here. Then again...I'm running a Core2 with 6g's of memory. If I had 2g's or less or an older PC...hmmmm....possibly a resource hog? I can't honestly answer that one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:01:23 AM EST

orly.... my uncle just received a new toshiba laptop last week from his daughter for his birthday. they tried for 2 weeks on and off trying to get the computer connected to their wireless network. i went over verifed the wpa key (easy if you know anything about wifi networks) but it would NOT get online. uninstalled NIS 09 and the machine connected with no other changes.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE that a home user would buy a product and it would not connect to the INTERNET right out of the box.

very common problem

Usually you have to authorize the local network within Norton, then all is good with the world.

Did you tell Norton that it was OK to communicate with that network?

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:46:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:53:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By PossumKing:
I had it on a PC years ago. PC crashed constantly. I took off the Norton and it ran like a champ.

Same here
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:56:33 PM EST
you people have no idea what you're talking about. The reviews of Norton Internet Secuity 2009 show it to be superior to any other security suite. It uses the least amount of memory, has very fast scan speeds, and offers nearly the best protection. Come on now, just because you have already made up your mind due the crap they used to put out doesn't mean they can't turn around
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:18:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bugalaman:
you people have no idea what you're talking about. The reviews of Norton Internet Secuity 2009 show it to be superior to any other security suite. It uses the least amount of memory, has very fast scan speeds, and offers nearly the best protection. Come on now, just because you have already made up your mind due the crap they used to put out doesn't mean they can't turn around

When they have at least 5 years of not putting out crap that causes more problems than it fixes, I'll reconsider them.

So far, the've gotten one product right in the past decade.

I'm not betting on those odds.

BTW - I know someone who has one computer for a small business - she bought Norton, and her computer started crashing. When she asked me to take a look at it, norton was using over 95% of allocated memory. A bit of research found that it is a known memory leak, that Symantec refused to acknowledge, much less fix.

I don't do business with that sort of company.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:34:37 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:23:46 PM EST
Meh....Again, it works for me. I actually don't even know it's running. It "knows" when I'm using the PC and silently waits until I'm off to take a leak, get a beer, etc., before it does anything...then, when It hears my footsteps coming back to the PC, it goes to sleep and I never knew it was awake. (Not really that smooth, but you get the drift). THIS ISN'T THAT OLD NORTON CRAP PROGRAM THAT SOME OF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THIS IS 2009. If you haven't used it and you are still stuck in 2003.....read the OP's question on page 1 again.

There....I feel better.

It's been a looooong day making things smaller and faster for you geeks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:53:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2009 5:00:00 PM EST by kaos]

They offer a money back guarantee, I might reformat a Vista box and let it run for a bit. But I'm done flushing my money on their stuff just because the box has been redesigned.

(EDIT)
There....I feel better.

I'll send you my copy of Vista Ultimate, and my GirlFriend. You send them both back smaller and faster and I'll buy YOU a copy of Symantec.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:23:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By kaos:

They offer a money back guarantee, I might reformat a Vista box and let it run for a bit. But I'm done flushing my money on their stuff just because the box has been redesigned.

(EDIT)
There....I feel better.

I'll send you my copy of Vista Ultimate, and my GirlFriend. You send them both back smaller and faster and I'll buy YOU a copy of Symantec.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By kaos:

Oh, shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:03:29 PM EST
I guess I'm just the exception to the rule: I'm a tech-savvy person who uses Norton products on all of my Windows machines, and I've never had a problem. Been using their products for years now. No resource issues, no malware issues, no virus issues, no firewall issues, no connection issues........
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By mccleway:
I guess I'm just the exception to the rule: I'm a tech-savvy person who uses Norton products on all of my Windows machines, and I've never had a problem. Been using their products for years now. No resource issues, no malware issues, no virus issues, no firewall issues, no connection issues........

Let me guess, you boot to the Linux partition, right?

/me ducks and runs...
Top Top