Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/22/2004 6:11:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 6:16:20 PM EST by M4]
Long story short. Norton System Works, which includes their firewall, anti-virus and system utilities was causing problems on my computer.

I made an attempt at uninstalling the whole thing, so I could install McAfee Internet Security 6.0.

Here's the problem. For whatever reason, all Norton stuff was removed, with the exception of Norton Personal Firewall. In control panel, that piece of Norton System Works remains....and it's preventing me being able to effectively run my new McAfee software.

I have gone in to Control Panel, and selected "remove" next to the Norton Firewall. I get an error message stating that someone with Admin priveleges must be logged in to Norton Firewall in order to execute such a command. I'm the ONLY person who uses this PC and the only user (Admin) on the same PC. It appears that during the un-install process with the rest of the software, a .dll was removed that will not allow me to open, alter or disable the firewall. One of the error messages I got indicated that some .dll could not be located, and I assume that is at least part of the problem. I can not uninstall it through the Norton uninstall feature, with various fatal error messages, or the repeated message regarding logging in under an admin account on the PC.

This is DRIVING ME INSANE.

Is there any way for me to forcably remove the remaining Norton firewall any other way? The McAfee product simply will not work while this Norton stuff is in the way....and the Norton Firewall have been rendered inoperable as a result of this F'ed up uninstall of the entire Norton System Works.

I have tried to reinstall the Norton Firewall in order to get that .dll back again, and then uninstall once on my PC in its complete form. No luck. I get the "admin" message before any install occures. It's as though there's partial info remaining on my PC that not only is screwing up my McAfee install, but also has prevented any reinstall of the Norton stuff. It's a dead end regardless of the route I take.

Any ideas as to how I can eliminate any traces of the remaining Norton stuff, so I can get my McAfee product up & running? I even tried to go in to Explorer and drag the file directly from there in to my trash. As imagined, that doesn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:31:02 PM EST
Nobody has any idea how I can fix this? Come on fellas, there's got to be a solution out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:58:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:53:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ire:
Try this.

Create a new account, give it admin rights. Log in as that user, and try and remove the program that way.

Let me know if that helps

It simply wont function at all to do that. It wont allow a reinstall of the original program, and it wont allow any modification. It appears as though Norton Firewall was left on my system, missing a .dll or two. That appears to be the reason it isn't functioning or allowing any removal or modification.

Do you know of any way to forcably remove all traces of this? I just want it completely removed, and I need a way that will side step it's request for admin log in. I am the admin and it still wont allow a removal. Can it be removed by restarting my PC in a different mode, that will allow access to simply deleting all related files, w/out being asked to log-in?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:07:53 AM EST
A few things to try,

In WIN 2000 and XP there is a services option in the administration area. Look for anything related to the software and make sure the service is not running. I know NORTON is truly a PITA. I uninstalled it from my machine and took severall .dll's with it that I needed. Their support is truly worthless and I was an enteprise account. Worse comes to worse, go into your registry, (go start->run->regedit) and search for norton. Just delete any traces of it in the registry (do this at your own risk!). All else fails, wipe the comptuer and start over.

Lesson learned: DON'T USE NORTON!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:15:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By purplecheese:
A few things to try,

In WIN 2000 and XP there is a services option in the administration area. Look for anything related to the software and make sure the service is not running. I know NORTON is truly a PITA. I uninstalled it from my machine and took severall .dll's with it that I needed. Their support is truly worthless and I was an enteprise account. Worse comes to worse, go into your registry, (go start->run->regedit) and search for norton. Just delete any traces of it in the registry (do this at your own risk!). All else fails, wipe the comptuer and start over.

Lesson learned: DON'T USE NORTON!!

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a try.

Question. If I delete all traces of Norton in the registry, what is the risk? Deleting a shared .dll? Any way to identify which are shared?

Wiping the computer sounds like a disaster. Can't do that.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:48:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4:

Question. If I delete all traces of Norton in the registry, what is the risk? Deleting a shared .dll? Any way to identify which are shared?

Thanks again!

Ok, deleting registry keys are risky. I did that on my pc after deleting norton anti-virus and occasionally I get a shared DLL error. I have yet to run into any MAJOR problems, minor yes. The only way to really tell about shared files is to know what to look for in a registry, and many of the entries are so encryptic that it is hard to tell one from another.

Wiping the computer isn't too hard. Just make sure to backup everything you want to save and reinstall your OS. I personally don't like to do that, (except for win 98 machines, once every 4 or 5 months usually) but sometimes that is a last resort move.

Ok I've searched a bit and found this Norton Website. This tells how to remove the software when add/remove software fails. Give this a try.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:53:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By purplecheese:

Originally Posted By M4:

Thanks again!

Ok I've searched a bit and found this Norton Website. This tells how to remove the software when add/remove software fails. Give this a try.

Man you are THE best!!!!!!

That fix you located was EXACTLY the solution. It took a total of 2minutes from download to completely fixed. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:26:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4:

Man you are THE best!!!!!!

That fix you located was EXACTLY the solution. It took a total of 2minutes from download to completely fixed. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

No prob M4. A case of beer is all I charge.
Top Top